Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided on keeping the car [:D] (as I am also going through a house purchase at the mo too) so only 4 hours to go and counting before I go pick the car up. What should I look out for when picking my car up?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I know I should check all the body panels, check that all the options I have specced are fitted, but anything else? Also can someone please update me on what this bottle opener is that I should get free?<o:p></o:p>

Dropped off the insurance documents yesterday and saw the car parked by the prep room, after reading some of the posts wasn?t sure if I?d made a mistake with the Blue Grpahite but it looked absolutely awesome in my eyes. I?ll get some pics posted as soon as!<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you have ordered the Centre armrest then you should have a bottle
opener under the sliding door beside the handbrake. I didn't have one
but the dealer ordered one for me after I asked. He said they get
stolen at the docks as they are not in the sealed bag that contains the
wheel centres etc.. People also say you should get a bottle of top up
oil but I never saw it.

Check all the alloys for marks as I had a small scratch on one and they
have ordered a replacement. To be fair to the dealer they told me about
the scratch, I don't think I would have noticed it.

Good luck with the new car and you will really enjoy it. I am just
trying to get the first 1000 miles done so I can open her up bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi, I can help here, having just picked mine up on Saturday.

I've just taken two photos of the bottle-opener and the top-up oil. The bottle opener may be handed to you within the handbook wallet, but slots into the cupholder to separate the two cup spaces. It has the VW logo engraved on it. The top-up oil comes in a VW logo bag, which also includes a paper funnel:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/gallery/albuv11

I've not been taking it much over 4000 revs until at least 500 miles.

Enjoy it mate! Chalky

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
To be honest I think the top up oil isn't something that 'should' come with the car, if it was then you would be told before you got the car. Where in any literature does it say that top up oil should be included?

The bottle opener is a completely different as the cup holders are useless without it.

Check the wheels, check the paint work, other than that most other things can be fixed after collection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your advice guys. That's been a great help[Y]

I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Mike,

You said that you had to have a new alloy ordered, I assume this was an 18".

The same happened to me when I picked mine up around 6 weeks ago now, I'm still waiting for the wheel to turn up, the dealer keeps saying they are on back order.[:'(]

Do you have yours yet?

Cheers

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yea Stu, you are right 18" but still no wheel

I'm just driving round on the old one so am not that concerned as it was only a very light scratch.

They have said mine is also on back order and there seems to be a shortage.

I think alot more people have specced the 18" than they anticipated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck with the car.

Mine came with the bottle opener and top up oil without asking.

However, I also have a scratch on one of my 18" wheels (common theme), and its on back order. The scratch is very small and is only really visible when the light catches it. Its so small in fact, that I missed at the hand over inspection and only noticed it 2 days later when I washed the car. Dealer was great when I went back and offered to sort it without question [Y]. Just slightly worried whether they will mark the new one when they swap the tyre over. Also curious whether I could keep / buy the existing wheel ?

Steve

·
Registered
440 Posts
Steve, I tried that one with the dealer about taking the old one off them but they said it had to be returned to the insurance company form whom they are claiming off.

I am also concerned about them marking the new one when they are changing it over [*-)]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up the car yesterday and did all the checks, first thing I looked for was the infamous bottle opener. Slid back the drinks cover and was greeted with a nice n shiny bottle opener! Hooray [:D] Looked around the interior to check all the options had been fitted:-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

MFS ? check<o:p></o:p>

Leather trim ? check<o:p></o:p>

Phone prep ? check<o:p></o:p>

Armrest - check<o:p></o:p>

6 cd changer (in armrest) ? check<o:p></o:p>

then looked around the bodywork for any dints/scratches, checked the panel fit and then looked at the 17? alloys and noticed a scratch on the front/n/s wheel ouch! [:'(] Pointed this out straight away and they got the Business Manager to come along. He has agreed to get me a replacement wheel and I have got him to put this down in writing. Also got them to agree on setting up the auto door locks once the car goes above 5mph (?) as I don?t have the highline computer.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Apart from that chuffed to bits. I?ll get some pictures sorted at the weekend.<o:p></o:p>

BTW, anybody got GAP insurance? The stealer tried to sell me this again, is it worth having?<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
No Highline computer? Woops.

GTI wheels - allegedly not available to order yet.

If you loose the bottle opener they are ?2.99 on ebay (thats where all the ones that get 'removed' at the docks end up).

·
Registered
689 Posts
I went for GAP as its a ?20k car, in three years time, if you write it off, it might only be worth ?10-12.

My mrs bought a yaris for ?8.5k and we decided not to bother.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Can anyone please help me answer whether I should go for the GAP insurance [:S]
If you intend to write off your car then it's worth every penny, if you don't then it's a waste.

If you can easily afford the premium then I guess it's worth having, check the policy though, does it give you money to top up to list price or market value only?

Edit- sorry that doesn't make much sense as insurance co will give market value - some GAP policies will take into account the age of the vehicle still, rather than give you what you actually paid.

Also you can get it independently, doesn't have to be at dealers, might be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Can anyone please help me answer whether I should go for the GAP insurance [:S]
If you intend to write off your car then it's worth every penny, if you don't then it's a waste.
How in the name of God do you plan not to write off a car??????? [:cool:]
Tongue in cheek mate! It's a true statement, as long as you're able to see into the future!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does GAP cover also entitle you to a new car if yours is stolen/damaged/recovered?

I was told this by the sales person, but you know what they can be like.

Also how do you check you have the highline computer?

Cheers.
James.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Also how do you check you have the highline computer?Cheers.James.
If you have it the rectangle in the dashpod will be full height with a full height display in it including a pictogram of the car showing which door is open etc. The midline version has only a half height display with the upper half 'blanked' off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If your car is stolen you would make a claim on your insurance company, the GAP insurance would cover the difference between what your insurance pays out at the current market value compared to what the original price was. There's normally a maximum payout of GAP of about ?10k. So it doesn't replace the car for you, it just covers the shortfall so that you could go and replace it with a car of the same original value you paid.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/services/finance/gap

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Does GAP cover also entitle you to a new car if yours is stolen/damaged/recovered?

I was told this by the sales person, but you know what they can be like.

Also how do you check you have the highline computer?

Cheers.
James.
Check the policy wording rather than rely on what the salesman says. I would have thought a GAP policy will only kick in should the car be written off or stolen and then not recovered. Your normal car insurance should cover any other possibilities ie repairs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts