Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GTi had to go into the dealers a fortnight ago for new lower wishbone suspension bushes. It is only 2 months old with 3000miles on the clock. The steering wheel was making an unusual noise when turning the wheel to the left. They said they had fixed the problem but the noise is stilll there. Does anyone else have an unusual sound when turning the wheel left, it is only present when parked or manouvering slowly. The noise is not there when turning right.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sorry seanie, not so much as a creek or judder out of my steering... I take it on hte move it's fine... It's a naff question, but can you describe the noise at all? [:)]

C

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Seanie I have heard of TWO brand new GTIs that make the noise when you turn the wheel to the left. It seems to be a common complaint.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Get them to check the drop links as mine were changed, the noise was only heard when the car was shifting weight balance as opposed to just steering

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have a listen to the noise again tomorrow to help my description of it. Irish, what happened to the 2 GTIs that had the noise? Were they fixed or did the groaning go away?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Sean one GTI is still doing it and the stealer said it's not a "big problem" and the second belonged to a guy who worked in a stealers and same story with his I think.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine does this as well! The noise almost seems like a creaking noise,
only happens when turning the wheel left and only when stationary!

Im going to get the Stealership to sort it out on first service. Mine is a July '06 model too!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mine does this as well! The noise almost seems like a creaking noise, only happens when turning the wheel left and only when stationary!
Im going to get the Stealership to sort it out on first service. Mine is a July '06 model too!
Solution - don't turn the steering wheel when stationary. It does no good to your power steering system or tyres.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol! I have to turn the steering wheel to get off my drive, it's present when going very slowly. I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem though. At least it doesn't seem to be a major issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
this is weird post lol. I used to have a MK5 GT TDI which developed an issue with the steering wheel. I could feel a knocking/clunking when turning slowly. Only evident when driving slowly like in car parking etc.

Took the car in on the hop, the started stripping it, but with all the covers etc said it will be a while and geezer said have a go in this. Yep yep was the GTI Demonstrator. Came back, rest was history inc the TDI and thats the story of how i ended up with the GTI.

Steering rack needed replacing on the TDI. See how this one fares :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you will notice it straight away if it does because it's quite an obvious noise when turning left at slow speeds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine does the same thing - only at very low speed. It's booked into the dealers next week for "investigation". Service manager admmitted that "it's not right" but unlikely to be anything to worry about.

Will keep you posted on the verdict.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It might not be just a GTI problem, i have 05MY 1.6 FSI SE i had funny noises when i fulled into a parking bay (very slowly like 1-5 mph) with the steering wheel on full lock. Took it to Abridge (Loughton) and they said it was steering rack and they replaced it (july 2005). I havent noticed the noise so far, but i havent been looking for it.

But i also have a noise which only seems to happen when the engine is cold, when ever i go over a road hump there is a noise which sounds like a plastic part is loose, Abridge havent really found the problem.

Nick

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are we sure this isn't just a function of the wider tyres in use today?,  when turning tightly, they ha ve to scrub sideways to a degree, it's unavoidable, is this just the shift in sideways pressure on the wheels?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Are we sure this isn't just a function of the wider tyres in use today?, when turning tightly, they ha ve to scrub sideways to a degree, it's unavoidable, is this just the shift in sideways pressure on the wheels?
Most definitely not. A 911 Turbo uses wider tyres, I can bet you a few grand it doesn't make these noises - and rightly so. It seems to be a major f**k up on VWs part and the noises I heard out of mine while reversing into a space today really did not impress me. There's no point even ringing the stealers about it because I know all I'll hear is "oh we're not aware of any such problem".

1 - 20 of 181 Posts