but after a week they just as bad.
I guess I'll have to paint them again.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Any suggestions on what paint to use?

(Pics to come)

·
Registered
98 Posts
To much acidic cleaners being used and pressure washers from the dealers dont help,car then sitting about causing the hubs to rust....But mine have just started to show rust....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Every new GTI I've owned has had rusty hubs in under two years so first Mk5 project is to paint them with 'hammerite smooth' and put a laquer coat over the top to protect them. Not keen on the rust look with Monza 18's!

·
Registered
894 Posts
As you said bit of a known issue not all down to acidic cleaners / power washers as some people have used neither from new.

Laquered mine just in case.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Are we talking hubs (which you generally can't see) or the brake discs which are made of iron and of course will rust - just paint them with high temperature engine or barbecue paint in a spray can from Halfords [:)] I posted a thread about this a while back, can't find it at the moment while search function is down...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine are rusty, too, and rather unsightly through the Monza II alloys. Will mention it to the dealer but I'm sure they'll just shrug their shoulders and not care!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
No, not the discs. We're talking about the hub part, that the wheel bolts to.

Most of the new cars in any compound will have this rust. Cleaning it up, prior to delivery, is almost not worth the bother, because they are made from cast steel with very little paint cover. They get hot, from the brakes, and wet, from the road, so they rust. Only thing is to give them a really good wire brushing, to get all rust and dirt etc, off, and paint them with something like Hammerite.

I don't know why, when they go to the trouble of painting brake callipers pretty colours, they don't take more care with protecting these. Really can take the edge off a brand new car. Bit like putting balance weights on the outside of wheel rims. At least you can't do that with VAG wheels!

·
Registered
76 Posts
iv just had mine replace on my Seat Altea because of this!

iv only had it two months and cos i used a couple of superstore cleaners who use the acicid alloy wheel cleaners my hubs went rusty!

i went back to the stealer and they replaced them strait away!

it hasnt happend to my wife's MkV though!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
..you painted your discs?!
Yes, but only the centre part (bell, hat, whatever you want to call it) where the wheel mounts. Any slight overspray on the actual braking surface got scrubbed off after braking a few times.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
No, not the discs. We're talking about the hub part, that the wheel bolts to.
OK but really that's part of the disc, you can't see the actual hub because the disc covers it. Some aftermarket discs are pre-painted for this reason. Painting it is so simple but so effective. My Brembo Max front discs were already painted but the rears (also Brembos) were not, afterwards I kicked myself for not painting the rears prior to fitting, but they're painted now and all looks good [:)]

·
Registered
46 Posts
It really does spoil the car.. (I know my wheels need a wipe!)

Just to clarify then..

What's the best way to clean then prior to painting? Any special cleaner needed?

What's the best paint to use? Smoothrite? Do you just apply with a brush? Approx ??

What lacquer should I use? Approx ??

Any other tips..

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've been looking for some clear brush on type lacquer over the last two weekends without any luck,Plenty of spray on types, but I wanted to avoid all that masking up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts