Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can some one explain why vw are charging so much for the new gti ?

the plastics used are poo pooe and quality has dropped.

and to top it off u can buy an audi a3 for the same price and probly less from broadspeed.

sorry but vw has lost the plot,

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Despite YOUR opinion VW will sell loads of mkV Golfs including the GTI.

Plastics aren't everything you know [^] The Golf V interior especially the GTI is fantastic IMO [;)]

Perhaps the mkIV got away with being so poor because it hid behind the plastic [:O]

No offence meant to any mkIV owner bit this is getting a but boring - move on [:)]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but it`s a vw 21k lmao

they sell lots because of the brand sheep keep coming back, and they feel they have some security because they feel they are buying a superior product.

when in actual fact they are no better than any other modern car.

i

i sold my vw after two moths the dealer service is truly the worst in the industry.

sorry to rant.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by THEBORABORA on 11/01/2005 23:00:51

when in actual fact they are no better than any other modern car.

Read the reviews by the magazine journalists - they ALL think the GTI is better than the competition even if it is more expensive.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote: posted by THEBORABORA on 11/01/2005 22:41:47

can some one explain why vw are charging so much for the new gti ?

the plastics used are poo pooe and quality has dropped.

and to top it off u can buy an audi a3 for the same price and probly less from broadspeed.

sorry but vw has lost the plot,

1. The GTi badge, BUT, the car is also significantly better than anything else out there. ?20k BMW 116i or Golf GTi ? No brainer really isn't it.

2. Quality of plastics has gone down in ALL manufacturers. Even ?50k+ Mercs develop sqeaks, rattles, etc.

3. Audi A3 for the same price is not a GTi. I haven't checked but I'd assume its likely to be a std A3 2.0FSI for that money.

I vowed not to get another VW but the new GTi looks very tempting.

Oh yes, dealer service SEEMS to be the same regardless of Brand.

Some are good, the majority are bad.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My Mk5 is currently in the dealers for some minor work to be carried out (caused by them in the first place [:(!])

Anyway, I have been given a Bora as a replacement - OK it is not as powerful as my diesel, and I guess it does not have the sports suspension. But, and I mean no offence here, it really is a poor car compared to the MK5 - I agree the interior plastics look more upmarket (perhaps), but I am use to that being an ex-passat owner. My main concern is over driving dynamics. It wallows and slides where the MK5 tracks exactly where you want it to to go. Potholes? don't go there, this car seems to actively search them out.

As mentioned above this does seem to be getting a little boring now. The everyday thread slagging off the MK5 compared to the good old MK4 - I had a mk2 GTi (a proper one [:D]) as a company car, and i remember when the mk3 came out what a huge slating that car got. I actually cancelled an order at the last minute because it looked so different.

If the GTi was ?15k would we still be slating it - I think perhaps NO. But, VW like it or not have developed a reputation for quality motors, and in the GTi have now got a car that the motoring press are drooling over - This causes a market fever where silly prices will prevail. They will sell every GTi they can get their hands on in the short term, and in a way 'Good luck to em' - The GTi has IMO been dead since the MK2 (ducks for cover[:I]) , and now it is back. Sure it is bigger,heavier, and maybe styling wise a compromise, but VW have to sell these to make money - that means Safety and 'conservative' styling.

Just my little point of view, having not got involved in the mk4 v's mk5 debate in the past........

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I do agree with some of your comments VW is following a market trend by improving the handling and cutting costs on the interior, what I dont like is the price hike especially on the 2.0fsi and 140 diesel which in the UK seem to cost ?18,000 and for some reason they have decreased the cost buy some ?2,000 in europe but not in the UK ????

For me at that price the car is just too expensive for what it is. I will not be buying one as when the mk4 came out I had reservations but the car was well put together and solid and that appealed to me, the issue I have with the mk5 in-particular are the looks and the exterior build / fitment which to me at least seem inferior to previous golfs.

Either way good luck and enjoy your car because if you are happy with it and it ticks all your boxes then thats what counts.

The one thing I am going to find difficult is when I come to purchase a new car and what to go for as it will not be a simple choice of staying with vw and getting another golf.

·
Registered
638 Posts
SimFin, I am suprised that you are not enjoying the Bora, I love mine, but perhaps its jsut because you are used to the firmer ride of sports suspension etc.

I think the biggest factor for the MK5 GTi, is its grin factor when you drive it. I have had a little drive out in one and it feels nice to drive, I quite liked the dash, but as Vee says, every one suffers from plastic problems. My mum had a Merc CLK a year or two ago, bits of the doors fell off when closing door etc. Definitely not built as a merc should be!

I think its a great car for the money, and I would prefer to buy a VW over a BMW! I dont want a reputation before I get there of bully my way!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote: posted by The Walrus on 12/01/2005 09:29:50

For me at that price the car is just too expensive for what it is. I will not be buying one as when the mk4 came out I had reservations but the car was well put together and solid and that appealed to me, the issue I have with the mk5 in-particular are the looks and the exterior build / fitment which to me at least seem inferior to previous golfs.

I agree with the whole post, but this bit needs to be looked at. The MK4 is now, what, 4-6 years old?? Things have changed a great deal in terms of crash tests, pedestrian tests etc, so the build quality will always appear to suffer, but I think that if it came to the literal crunch, the Golf would meet peoples expectations of protecting its occupants.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I dont see what you are talking about there TBH ? I am not saying the car will not perform well just that when I have looked at them in the flesh I do not think the way the bonnet meets with the headlamps and the windscreen surround etc is particulary well fitted thats all.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by Vee on 12/01/2005 07:52:09

... ?20k BMW 116i ....

You mean ?20k 120d Sport don't you.... a 116i is ?15k!

Let's be realistic here, all the similar premium brand performance hatchbacks are in the ?20k bracket. Golf, A3, 1 series are all actually quite close on pricing for directly competing models. If you look at a fully specc'ed GTi/A3 FSiT/120i Sport then you'll be looking at ?25k+. That's a lot of cash for a hatch. Personally I think it's completely ridiculous when you can buy a good recent M5 for the same money! so will be continuing to look at the second hand market for my cars.

What VW have already stated is that they're premium pricing policy hasn't worked and over time they will re-align prices to attract buyers back. The GTi will have been priced before that decision was made so I would expect the prices to gradually come down across the range. those who've bought the GTi now may be looking at compensation if they drop the prices soon - don't laugh it's already happened in the last 5 years......

·
Registered
406 Posts
The run-out Campaign model of the 1992 J MK2 GTI 16V (with horizontal striped seats and BBS Alloys, electric windows [:O] and PAS [:O] etc) was ?16,216 for the 16V 5 door.

Let me repeat that: 1992 Golf GTI 16V = ?16,216.

Now that was 13 years ago! and the car we have today is literally 40% more car (by weight).

It should also be noted the new car has the following:

Almost every electric gadget you could think of (some not even invented 13 years), many times stronger and more crash resistant, 44% more power (almost 50% more torque) - add on 13 years inflation aswell and the new MKV GTI is probably a bargain.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Not to me it isnt.

But thats my opinion I would not buy a car new anyway unless I had loads of money and then I would buy something else from the vag stable i.e. a lambo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
think i will stick with my humble seat leon tdi fr

for 14k and 5 years old now it still look better than a mk5 and cheaper lol

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by THEBORABORA on 12/01/2005 22:33:14

for 14k and 5 years old now it still look better than a mk5

Yeah right [^]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote: posted by THEBORABORA on 12/01/2005 22:33:14

for 14k and 5 years old now it still look better than a mk5 and cheaper lol

5 years old you say? It wont be a Leon TDI FR then!!??!! FR badge was introduced last year.

Oh and have you tried getting a trade in value for that car now??? Expect to be shocked [B)]

Oh and refering to what Golfs cost originally....

My MK3 Anniversary GTI 16V 3 door was a mighty ?17635 on the road in 1997.

The MK4 GTI 1.8T was a mear ?18795 on the road at launch and didnt include a CD player!!! Spec was heavily revised later on!

So to conclude, whether you think it is or not, the GTI represents a fair price in the current market for, what have been refered to as, a "Sensational" car. And the spec is pretty comprehensive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when i said 5 years i mean the model history.

and no i havent tried getting a p/x for it becuase it`s a month old.

i think the real people to be shocked are the one`s who just paid 20k + for there sensational golf. when the hype has died down and the market is flooded with these cars which it will be evntually prepare for the 50% loss after 2 years.

not slating the car just dont why vw are asking so much for it.

why compare cars price`s now to previous versions.

previous versions are not the competion , vw are trying to charge premium price`s but they aint a premium brand.

do germans consider vw a premium brand in germany (NO)

vw in germany is like ford and vauxhall here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts