Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I modded the rear RSSR lights of my golf yesterday. I removed the inner amber and red midle filters. It took me around two hours, but I think it is worth a while. I am planing to use Osram Diadem bulbs for the signal (right now i've juts put orange ones temporarily), and red Led bulbs for the lights (I've painted the regular bulbs with red color, working OK, temporarily).

So what do you think of my new mod?

Here's a comparation shot (of my phone cam).

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
They look sweet. I was never a fan of the RCCR lights because the CC bit, just didn't look OEM enough for me. But they look the dogs danglies and not seeen this done before. Very nice mate and well worth the effort.

I can see a lot of followers for this one, since it costs next to zilch and looks great.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Wow! I like that very much! Have you got pics of the filters you removed?

The Osram Diadems are 581 fitment 120-degree offset pin though, so you'll have to grind one of the pins off for it to fit in the 382 holder with its 180 degree opposing pins.

Looking like a sweet mod. I'll say one thing about the LED cluster bulbs though, I've had a play with quite a few of these and they just don't perform as well as normal bulbs for brightness and light dispersion (LEDs are highly directional in comparison).

Keep us posted [Y]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what's left from the filters.

Posted Image

By the way do you have any other sugestions beside red led bulbs.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the lights from the car, than used a flat screwdriver and a small hammer to brake the filters from the bulb hole. Most of the filter can be done from the hole, it actually brakes in large pieces, but than you need to break the pieces inside the hole usin two pairs of small pliers (be very carefull). The outer pars were unreachable so I had to cut the plastic open, break the filter and than weld the plastic back using a heat soilder (spelling). I'll post some pictures later in the day.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
this looks awesome, having just hacked my headlights apart, i feel i may do this soon!, is it difficult? or just fiddly, i don't mind fiddly! can you put some finished pics up in members rides as people don't often come across this section.

good job Red

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't find it difficult. It's fiddly though. You have to be very carefull not to break the outer part of the cluster. Just take your time. I will post some pictures of the finished product on the car itself, this time on the members ride section. I thought I use this section for the lights, could of used the DIY section as well.

I also took my headlights apart (by breaking the glass) e fwe weeks ago and did the joey's mod. Looks awsome on flash red.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Geeez Baker, way to rain on everyone's parade! [:'(]
Just saying it how it is, it really amazes me that people do things like this, I mean how would you explain to your insurance company when someone drives into the back of you because they couldn't recognise what light function was active? Or maybe, 'I thought they looked good officer, am I not allowed to use these on the road?'

Who am I to be 'Mr.Righteous' though, each to their own.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I am not planing to drive my car to UK nor insure it there either. On the other hand the light output is perfectly acceptable. I'll take some photos at night with the lights and signals on and post them.

Cheers.[:)]

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well, I am not planing to drive my car to UK nor insure it there either. On the other hand the light output is perfectly acceptable. I'll take some photos at night with the lights and signals on and post them.

Cheers.[:)]
Whether the vehicle is being driven in UK, USA or wherever it doesn't make a difference, still illegal.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No it's not. Our Technical Evaluation people (MOT) are quite relaxed actually. They're tough on brakes and suspension, they check all the lights and wipers and as long as the lights operate reasonably than it's OK. Cars much much older than Golf is, which lights give far smaller output than golf without amber and red filters, pas the technical control, so I'm good.

Anyway I had the car parked (on the side of the road) last night with the side light (parking light) on, and so did some other cars and the output was the same with the other cars, even from some 100m away.

I just need to source some of those LED bulbs, because the ones I have are regular R10W which I painted a few layers of transparent red color. Tough to source the leds in my country, but I guess there's always the ebay.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Osram really needs to make a red version of its Diadem indicator, but until there are more cars from the factory with red painted bulbs, that won't happen - manufacturers will almost certainly continue to use standard cheap clear bulbs behind red filters, or move onto LEDs.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
No it's not. Our Technical Evaluation people (MOT) are quite relaxed actually. They're tough on brakes and suspension, they check all the lights and wipers and as long as the lights operate reasonably than it's OK. Cars much much older than Golf is, which lights give far smaller output than golf without amber and red filters, pas the technical control, so I'm good.

Anyway I had the car parked (on the side of the road) last night with the side light (parking light) on, and so did some other cars and the output was the same with the other cars, even from some 100m away.

I just need to source some of those LED bulbs, because the ones I have are regular R10W which I painted a few layers of transparent red color. Tough to source the leds in my country, but I guess there's always the ebay.
This type of issue really goes to show that the amount of money that is invested in designs to meet regulations is all wasted when the vehicle is sold as there is no 'check' with any MOT test centre.

Red Side Light Bulbs are still not available and if you have painted some clear ones then obviously this gives you some 'red' output, what have you done with the indicator function, fitted an amber bulb?

Sorry to keep going on but it just amazes me that people do these things.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Osram really needs to make a red version of its Diadem indicator, but until there are more cars from the factory with red painted bulbs, that won't happen - manufacturers will almost certainly continue to use standard cheap clear bulbs behind red filters, or move onto LEDs.
Osram, Philips and all the other manufacturers, have these as designs but will not release them due to a lack of interest, the customers aren't interested in spending money on a red or amber bulb when they can have a filter lens in place at a much cheaper cost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts