Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Been having trouble starting my Golf MK5 GTi some mornings - takes about 2/3 turns of the ignition to start the engine ok.

Has anyone had this problem at all with their MK5 GTI?

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
2-3 turns of the ignition?

Do you mean the engine is turning over 2-3 times before it fires? NOT you turning the key for 10secs etc 2-3 times before it starts?

If its just turning over 2-3 times before it catches....i say it's not a problem and its totally normal!

I would never expect an engine to just fire up the first turn. As long as it catches in the first 5 secs then its fine.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
2-3 turns of the ignition?

Do you mean the engine is turning over 2-3 times before it fires? NOT you turning the key for 10secs etc 2-3 times before it starts?

If its just turning over 2-3 times before it catches....i say it's not a problem and its totally normal!

I would never expect an engine to just fire up the first turn. As long as it catches in the first 5 secs then its fine.
What! Don't agree with that at all. It's a very subjective matter of course, but I expect my car and previous injection petrol cars that I've owned to be near instant starters and would not have to expect them to 'churn over'.

Just occasionally there might be a glitch, I suppose, whereby a slight delay is experienced but that would be the exception rather than the norm.

[H]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your responses and feedback.

It happened again - tonight - when I went to move the car into the driveway (ok it was a bit chilly outside tonight - but not very very cold if you see what I mean!).

I turned the ignition key and the engine just would not ignite - no matter how long I held the key in the forward position - it just kept turning but no ignite.

I had to take the key out of the ignition, and insert again - and hey presto, the car started fine.

Could this be anything to do with the plugs/ coilpacks of the car?

I'll check the battery terminals tomorrow, just incase (but I don't think it's anything to do with this, as I get power to the car fine and the ignition works ok and the dash display etc) & will also email my dealership.

Let me know if you have any idea why this is going on!

Kind Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hmmm.

How long did u turn the key for on the first attempt?

Normally i wait a few seconds after getting in the car to start it up. Let the fuel pump prime the system etc so that all is set for firing up.

Could also be the immobiliser you know.

But it does sound like ur car is having a few moments on start ups.

However I think the dealer will just say there's nowt wrong etc etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you know someone with a VAG-Com they could see if there are any intermittent error codes logged for your car, once you have that you can take it to the stealers and be well armed!

..to echo Chungster's comments, I always leave the car until all warning lamps are out before starting, years of driving a diesel I guess, but cars always seem happier for it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Mine takes a good two/three revolutions of the engine before it fires up,I put it down to the very high pressure fuel injection system needing time to pressurise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,

I spoke to one of the people at the dealers today, and he mentioned for me to try the different key-fob (as it could be a problem with the key, not necessarily the immobiliser). I tried the spare-key tonight (car has been standing all day today at home) - this time a slightly different problem ocurred.

I started the car (as normal) and again it failed to start (yes, I leave all the lights go out, as I am also from a line of diesel cars previously!) - so I took the key out, and tried it again. This time, is beeped and came up with a large "STOP" message, and I could see the oil lamp lit up in red.

The car has been serviced around 1000 miles ago, and there is enough oil in the engine (I checked this now)....

I'm going to take it into the dealer tomorrow, to hopefully get it sorted out - I haven't got vagcom, hence won't be able to check for error codes etc - they will have to check this out and let me know what they find.

I hope it gets sorted out - I hate intermittent faults.

Cheers and thanks for all your feedback guys.

Rob

·
Registered
154 Posts
you'll have to let us know what they say, that "STOP" warning sounded a bit harsh!

good luck with it bud, I can't wait to get my raft of new car niggles!

[;)]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,

I've taken the GTi into the dealers this morning - it took me 4 times (re-insert the key into the ignition each time) to get the car to start this morning. I was worried at one stage that I'd have to get the dealer to tow/ get a transporter to fetch the car......

They are going to have a look at it this afternoon - let's hope they can find the problem and get it sorted.

They are also going to do a full diagnostic on the car they tell me. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dear All,

I've just had my GTi back tonight - I've been told that it's had an ECU software update direct from the VW factory (the software on mine had a glitch I'm told) and also had a new fuel pressure valve/ sensor fitted.

I'll let you know how I get on, and if I get anymore problems - the first test will be starting the car tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
High pressure fuel system - if you listen carefully you should hear the pump run as you open the drivers door - the system uses the door light switch to run the pump to pick up the fuel pressure prior to starting

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Dodweld,

Here's the bad news - the problem still hasn't been cured.

I couldn't start the car today three times (once this morning, twice this afternoon) - each needing me to insert the key into the ignition 3 or 4 times, before the engine ignited ok.

Can anyone help me with this - I am at a lost cause at the moment as to why this is happening.....

Could it be something to do with what you mention ie. link between the door opening/ door light switch etc?

Mmm - come to think of it, I have (sometimes) heard a high-pitch/ high frequency noise when I sometimes open the drivers door.... is this what you mention dodweld?

Kind Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bonkers

out of interest have you tried using your spare key in case it is a faulty imobiliser transponder, or whatever they are called in VAG speak, in the keyfob.

Steve

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Guys,

Well, after 2 weeks of on-off diagnostic work, hopefully the problem has now been solved - it looks like (touch-wood - the car is starting ok at the moment...) it was down to 1 or 2 of the relay blocks in the fuse box.

The problem was narrowed down to the fuse-box this week. The only way I could then start the car was to move one of the relay blocks in the fuse box, and hey-presto - you could hear something kicking-in on the engine - and then the car would start no problem when I turn the ignition key.

2 relay blocks have now been replaced by VW - let's see how it goes guys - the car has started ok since I got it back from the dealer yesterday......

Cheers,

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts