Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

GTI or TDI?

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  NCR1 
#1 ·
Now im looking to purchase one of the two and get a stage 1 remap done. But how much differance is there in power? Im looking at either at stock 1.9 110 tdis and 1.8 turbos

#9 ·
all depends on the mileage u do and if u want a nice tone?

I love my gt tdi (130) and love the fact it is always coming up with 55mpg... should go down once i have the remap though lol

i can put up with the derv tone (golf has good sound proofing and whack music up lol)

#10 ·
Really depends on driving style and mileage like others have said. I prefer the diesel as you get a smack load of torque low in the rev range, but something a bit more pokey like the 150 pdi and both remap to aroung the 200bhp mark. It migt be slighlty more expensive but well worth it for the amount of pull you get and all the stuff from a gti.

#12 ·
is that due to cost or performace?
I,m still amazed even after 2 yrs of ownership the mpg I get out of this car coupled with very decent performance.I have no regrets at all about leaving my petrol 150 for the PD 150.It really is the best of both worlds.Its remap time soon,warranty ends next march and its going to open up another world for me I'm sure.In my opinion you wont regret the heavy oil option.[:D]

#14 ·
No you certainly won't get one that cheap. My TDI 115 is the same age as the earliest 150's (2001) and it would go for close on ?7k in a private sale.

I would also rather have a TDI 130 or 150 as opposed to a 1.8T 150, but in your price range as you say its 110TDI vs 150 1.8T and in that case I'd probably go for the 1.8T.

Every bugger wants a diesel these days so you'll probably get a newer 1.8T for your money. They also have marginally better spec (if it's an early one you'll probably get the lovely Recaros too). And the 1.8T has much better tuning potential than the 110 TDI.

#17 ·
my heart is on a tdi but i dont think i will the cash ready by then. I got uni starting in sept so it looks like im leaning towards a petrol version :(..one thing to note - i havent seen no tdi with leather interior is this normal? are all sellers round my area tight cu*ts? and does having a 3 door or 5 door affect bhp? thanks!

#19 ·
The amount of doors does not affect the BHP - depends on what model you get.

It all depends if you want to drive around with a cloud of smoke behind you - LOL

If so, go for a TDI

If not, go for a GTI
Thats complete crap! I can put my foot down and my car doesn't smoke at all!

As your gonna be a student I'm assuming your not gonna have much money so therefore go to for diesel....you won't regret it it. It costs the same to fill up both cars but the diesel goes twice the distance...I get between 450 miles and 500 miles out of a tank...plus insurance should be cheaper.

Plus the diesels are just as easy as the petrols in terms of modding the engine! Have a look at http://www.racingtdi.com/main.htm

Remember tho its not BHP that is the important...its the torque and the diesels have plenty of this at low revs

#22 ·
my heart is on a tdi but i dont think i will the cash ready by then. I got uni starting in sept so it looks like im leaning towards a petrol version :(..one thing to note - i havent seen no tdi with leather interior is this normal? are all sellers round my area tight cu*ts? and does having a 3 door or 5 door affect bhp? thanks!
No need for the sad face if you're going to get a turbo petrol. They are nice cars and quicker than the 110TDI you're looking at.

If it's the 2.0 GTI on the other hand..............[:'(]

#23 ·
If you're comparing solely the 110TDI and the 1.8T GTI, I'd go for the petrol GTI every day of the week.

It'll be quicker, sure, but the main reason is that it'll be GTI-spec so you'll get Recaro's (pre-2002, VW sports seats post 2002), 16" alloys, stiffer / lower sports suspension, body-coloured bumper inserts and side strips, better front splitter, 3-spoke wheel etc. The only diesel that had this spec as standard is the 150PD which you won't get for ?6000 (post 2001 only, so I'd guess ?8000 and up?).

However, a nice 115PD or 130PD in GT-spec (which all UK cars were, if a 115PD or 130PD is in any other spec it's an import) will get you sports seats (almost the same as the GTI / 150PD but no lumbar support), body-coloured bumper / trim inserts etc. so would be a nice compromise if you can find a cheap one. Some also had the sports suspension and other GTI bits fitted as options but they'll be rare! [:(]

If I had a budget of ?6000 I'd go for a petrol 1.8T 150bhp GTI or a V5 - you'll get a better one for your money. Most diesels are bought to be driven, so they'll have 100,000+ miles at 5 years old, and as they're more sought after privately they'll be dearer than the equivalent petrol. Unless you're doing 20,000+ miles a year I don't think you'll benefit from having a diesel.

However, one of the best things about mk4 Golfs is the sheer amount of options that were available - you might find a 110TDI or a 150bhp 1.8T GTI with full Recaro leather, digital climate control, factory VW sat-nav, heated seats, heated washers, Xenon headlights, rain-sensitive wipers etc. or it might be plain as anything! No two cars seem to be the same spec...! [:D]

Happy shopping; make sure you test drive a petrol and a diesel and narrow it down to see which you'd prefer, then get hunting for one in a nice spec... [:D]

#24 ·
i have no idea what a    v5 is but for 5k i can seem to get a 1.8 gti turbo, with leather interior, hpi check with 60k on the clock (its also 3 door) is that good? most tdis ive seen around my area (slough)are all 5 doors with 90k+ on them :(..many thanks for the information guys i will continue with my search and drive both of them (eventually) and decide :)

#25 ·
Has anyone mentioned the scope for tuning the 1.8T?

I know one of the big difference between the tdi and gti will be torque, but a remapped gti has more than enough torque (234ftlb)!

Have to admit though the 1.8t aint cheap to run, im happy when it returns 39MPG!

#26 ·
I kept up with a 150 1.8t the other day on a bypass and he was giving it some. It felt good and I just thought about what it would be like to own a 150 TDi. I think I might remap up to 180bhp[;)]

I love booting it and leaving cars in a cloud of dust after they've been driving up my ar$e for a few miles...cars that also look like they should beat a measly golf....like a 1996 Audi Coupe for example LOL !!! The site of the front of some chaps Audi lift as he tried to keep up on the dualcarriageway on the way back from Abersoch the other night was quite pleasing the say the least.

leaving chavs in their Saxo's and Puntos for 'dust' is also very very entertaining what ya reckon fellow Diesel Lovers !! ??

I must warn that the handling on a 130 is pants though !! Very boat like and very bang bang over the slightest of bumps.......that's why I bought a Focus too [;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.