Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now im looking to purchase one of the two and get a stage 1 remap done. But how much differance is there in power? Im looking at either at stock 1.9 110 tdis and 1.8 turbos

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well the petrol turbo is better than the 110.

The PD130 or 150 is a diffrent story though...

Ding,ding.Round one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also had a gti turbo before i got the tdi the only reason i got it
cause i was fed up waiting trying to get a tdi i liked, anyway running
a 130 tdi with a remap and i have to say i enjoy it a lot more.
its great when i'm on the motorway and its reads over 45mpg avg intake.[:D]

·
Registered
245 Posts
all depends on the mileage u do and if u want a nice tone?

I love my gt tdi (130) and love the fact it is always coming up with 55mpg... should go down once i have the remap though lol

i can put up with the derv tone (golf has good sound proofing and whack music up lol)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Really depends on driving style and mileage like others have said. I prefer the diesel as you get a smack load of torque low in the rev range, but something a bit more pokey like the 150 pdi and both remap to aroung the 200bhp mark. It migt be slighlty more expensive but well worth it for the amount of pull you get and all the stuff from a gti.

·
Registered
841 Posts
try and drive both back to back to see which one you like the best.

end of the day you got to drive it so at least enjoy driving it!![:)]

·
Registered
337 Posts
is that due to cost or performace?
I,m still amazed even after 2 yrs of ownership the mpg I get out of this car coupled with very decent performance.I have no regrets at all about leaving my petrol 150 for the PD 150.It really is the best of both worlds.Its remap time soon,warranty ends next march and its going to open up another world for me I'm sure.In my opinion you wont regret the heavy oil option.[:D]

·
Registered
874 Posts
No you certainly won't get one that cheap. My TDI 115 is the same age as the earliest 150's (2001) and it would go for close on ?7k in a private sale.

I would also rather have a TDI 130 or 150 as opposed to a 1.8T 150, but in your price range as you say its 110TDI vs 150 1.8T and in that case I'd probably go for the 1.8T.

Every bugger wants a diesel these days so you'll probably get a newer 1.8T for your money. They also have marginally better spec (if it's an early one you'll probably get the lovely Recaros too). And the 1.8T has much better tuning potential than the 110 TDI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my heart is on a tdi but i dont think i will the cash ready by then. I got uni starting in sept so it looks like im leaning towards a petrol version :(..one thing to note - i havent seen no tdi with leather interior is this normal? are all sellers round my area tight cu*ts? and does having a 3 door or 5 door affect bhp? thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The amount of doors does not affect the BHP - depends on what model you get.

It all depends if you want to drive around with a cloud of smoke behind you - LOL

If so, go for a TDI

If not, go for a GTI

·
Registered
196 Posts
The amount of doors does not affect the BHP - depends on what model you get.

It all depends if you want to drive around with a cloud of smoke behind you - LOL

If so, go for a TDI

If not, go for a GTI
Thats complete crap! I can put my foot down and my car doesn't smoke at all!

As your gonna be a student I'm assuming your not gonna have much money so therefore go to for diesel....you won't regret it it. It costs the same to fill up both cars but the diesel goes twice the distance...I get between 450 miles and 500 miles out of a tank...plus insurance should be cheaper.

Plus the diesels are just as easy as the petrols in terms of modding the engine! Have a look at http://www.racingtdi.com/main.htm

Remember tho its not BHP that is the important...its the torque and the diesels have plenty of this at low revs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts