Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

All this GTI talk is making me want to change my A3 2.0 TDI, which I have only had 7 months.

Buy the new GTI or stick with A3 2.0 TDI Sport?

Also what spec has everyone gone for? I specced a GTI up on the website and came to ?24K!

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
782 Posts
Tony,

Having owned a A3 Sport TDi I can tell you (If you havent driven the new GTI yet) That the ride is a lot harsher (sportier) in the GTI and the power is much smoother (being Petrol)

But the new GTi has a lot of the A3 Feel about it. The A3 is finsihed off a little better than the GTI.

I bought the A3 and tried to make it look sporty, ie wheels bodykit and rear spoiler. But it never did it for me. But having driven the GTI for a couple of days (well a day and a half)

I can tell you the GTI gets my vote !

·
Registered
722 Posts
Just looked at the new GTI in my local stealers. Not that impressed at all, too much black plastic at the front, looks a nightmare to keep clean . The rear valance and skirts need to be colour coded, and perhaps it was just this car, but the twin exhaust was not pointing straight back, it points very slightly in towards the centre of the car. The wheels look awful, and the seats!

Just my first impressions.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I had thought I would buy a new Gti when it came out. Not being a fan of the mkV - I think it looks like a pug 307 and the interior really makes it look cheap! But I drove a 1.6fsi for 5 days when my R was in for a new fuel tank I totally changed my mind about the car, interior still pants and the looks of a 307, but it was REALLY nice to drive.

I just assumed it would become a grower over time. I then went to look at the Audi A3 and was totally won over, nice looks, brilliant interior, better residuals, now squeaks or rattles etc.

So I ordered an A3, when I went to look at the new Gti last week I was a bit worried that I might have made the wrong choice and would still hanker after a Gti... Fortunately the demo Gti was in red and looked really boy racerish, Claires comment was it looked very Chav. I dare say I will end up buyinig one in 18 months time mind...

So I would say the new mkV golf is a nice car but I think the A3 is better package although pricier initially I think the residuals are better and the options better value.

Obvioulsy this is just my opinion...

J.

P.S. Ask me the same question in 6 months when I start to see lots of Gti's on the road [:D]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Why would an A3 have better residuals than a GTI or any mkV for that matter? What Car predict 60% retained value after three years for both Golf & A3, no figures for the GTI but I bet it will be better than the rest of the range.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I doubt the Gti will retain it's value better than the rest of the mkV range, agreed the gti it currently is the premium model but it is a tad pricey for a golf and even very pricey for a hot hatch.

Look through auto trader at the prices of used Audi's and VW's and see which ones hold thier value better...

J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your replies.

I think I will stick with the A3 for now. I will still take the GTI for a test drive.

I went to my local dealer today, but they wouldn't let me drive it as they said that the car needed to be repaired due to the recall, so will drive it the first week in Jan.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by Wish on 29/12/2004 20:49:09

Of course GTI will hold better over a normal MK5

Why? Did the old gti/4mo hold thier values better than the rest of the models?

Initially it will but only because demand is going to outstrip supply but that isn't going to last.

J.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by marriedblonde on 30/12/2004 13:51:33

Quote: posted by Wish on 29/12/2004 20:49:09

Of course GTI will hold better over a normal MK5

Why? Did the old gti/4mo hold thier values better than the rest of the models?

Initially it will but only because demand is going to outstrip supply but that isn't going to last.

J.

The mkV (esp the GTI) has had great publicity by all the motoring press unlike the mkIV [B)] this should help retained values.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by Wish on 30/12/2004 14:56:23

What? who mentioned 4 motion ?

On the Mk4 GTi held its money better than normal models

I mentioned the 4 motion model - as in the premium models in the mkIv range by comparision, I disagree and don't think the gti (or the premium models apart from the limited edition's - Anni and R32) held it's money as a percentage any better than the rest of the models in the range. Looking through the press would indicate the sports diesels are the better purchase for retaining it's value. This would kinda make sense to me as well due to running costs being lower - not everyone can afford to insure a gti for example.

I disagree but good luck to you with your Gti, if you get shot of it within the first half of the year then I'm sure you'll get a good price like I said all the time demand out strips supply it'd bound to hold it's value well.

J.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 30/12/2004 18:57:14

The mkV (esp the GTI) has had great publicity by all the motoring press unlike the mkIV [B)] this should help retained values.

Yep very true the car of the MOMENT is the Gti but not everyone wants to spend ?20K on a golf, that of course is without speccing it up, to get a decent specification I think you are looking at spending around ?22K on one - well the spec I was intending to get was around that figure.

Personally I think it is over priced and I'm not alone thinking that either and I'm sure that's going to effect VW's target customers which I think will effect the long term residuals. That and the fact VW need to do something about it's customer service people spending ?20K plus on a car expect a little more...

But like I have said this is just my personal thoughts. I look forward to being proved wrong in 3 years time.

J.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I don't think VW have the staff to look after people buying ?10k cars, never mind what people expect from ?20k+ cars. Totally and utterly pig-headed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm in the same position at the moment A3 or GTi

Just specced up an Audi A3 S line with DSG, Xenons, metallic paint ?24000

Golf GTi same spec with 18"(standard on A3 S line),DSG,xenons,Metallic ?23300

So the Audi is only ?700 more and has half leather interior.

Going for a test drive in both Saturday week but have already been told that discount is available on the A3 so it will probably be cheaper than the Golf!!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Mike,

Get a quote from the web and take it into your local Audi dealer you'll get a decent discount off of that price!

Not so sure the customer service is going to be much better than VW though - we shall wait and see.

J.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
www.Drivethedeal.com seem to offer really good discounts although I'm not sure if anyone has actually ordered a car from them - good to use as leverage at the Audi dealers though. Phone round your dealers and ask if the will price match not every dealer is interested, one of my local ones said they wouldn't price match when I phoned but when I went for a test drive and sat down with the sales guy they did but I was ready to order the car there and then and said if they would price match I'd put a deposit down. Nows a good time to order as sales are slow so getting a discount shouldn't be a problem.

I ordered an a3 2.0Tdi DSG S-line with a load of options and amanged to get them to price match the web.

J.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts