Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a mk 5 owner in Japan.

Mk 5 GTI was spontaneously burned in the traffic jam on the capital highway on 29 July in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tokyo, Japan</st1:place></st1:City>. The owner said that smoke rose from a gap between dash board and front window of his GTI, and then fire wrapped his car in few minutes.

Fortunately, he escaped from his GTI after he stopped his car before the cabin was enveloped in the flame.

He had bought the black-colored new GTI before 3 month of the accident. After then, he did not replace any parts except for exhaust tail pipe. He also said that he never have a smoke in his car.

In Japan, the news was broadcasted on TV.

Every Japanese mk 5 owner deeply concerned about the accident.

What was caused in his GTI's engine room?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum [:)]

The incedent sounds bad. Glad to hear nobody was hurth! I do not think any MK5 GTI's in the UK have caught fire, otherwise we would have heard about it.

Unsure what the cause could be, maybe a fuel leak perhaps?

Is this the first MK5 GTI to catch fire in Japan?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your first reply.

Yes, this incident is first case for golf mk5 in Japan.

The incident happened in traffic jam and many other drivers observed the incident. So, somebody sent the video to broadcast studio.

After the incident, the black body changed to white color by heat in the accident. All plastic parts in the cabin was burned and lost. The seats became only wire frame.

He said that the police is going to check his car with some specialties of VW importer and some inspectors of Tokyo fire departments in order to clarify the cause of accident on this wednesday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your all reply and all your praise for my English.

Japanese mkv forums are now talking nothing but that incident.

I will report the results of inspection on Wednesday before our golf fire up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could not save the movie but I found another movie which is resemble situation.

http://media.putfile.com/SRgtiFIRE

In the movie, firstly, the smoke come up from the bonnnet followed by rising from the gap of dash board. And then the flame enter into the cabin from the lower edge of the flont window.

The flame envelope all of the cabin after few minutes.

This is very similar situation but the car is mkiv.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I well understand that the mkiv is clarly modded. But I think the cause of the accident may be relate to the extraodinary heat by the exhaust system or the catalizer. The fuel or oil may be heated by it based on the lack of quality of his GTI.

What do you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
310 Posts
Interestling over on seatcarclub.co.uk, a owner of a 2L TFSI Leon had a under bonnet fire that luckily was caught quickly it was some kind of electrical fire.  The dealer said it was water in the coil and the air filter which I find very hard to beleave.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Interestling over on seatcarclub.co.uk, a
owner of a 2L TFSI Leon had a under bonnet fire that luckily was caught
quickly it was some kind of electrical fire. The dealer said it
was water in the coil and the air filter which I find very hard to
beleave.
Oh dear, I think we have our first UK occurence! [:S]

·
Registered
36 Posts
There have been a few reports of fuel line not being connected properly on the African GTIs here in Australia. They have come away but I haven't heard of any fires yet. Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mk5 GTI up in flame
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

An mk5 GTI (2006 year model, black, 4dr, DSG) was spontaneously burned in the traffic jam on the metropolitan expressway (Meguro line) on 29 July in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Tokyo</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Japan (right picture)</st1:country-region></st1:place>. The owner said that smoke rose from a gap between dash board and front window of his GTI, and then fire wrapped his car in few minutes. After the incident, the black body changed to white color by heat in the accident. All plastic parts in the cabin was burned and lost. The seats became only wire frame. Fortunately, he escaped from his GTI after he stopped his car before the cabin was enveloped in the flame. He had bought the black-colored new GTI before 3 month of the accident. After then, he did not replace any parts except for exhaust tail pipe. He also said that he never have a smoke in his car. He said that the police are going to check his car with some specialties of VW dealer and some inspectors of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tokyo</st1:place></st1:City> fire department in order to clarify the cause of accident on this Wednesday. In <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region>, the news was broadcasted on TV. The incident happened in traffic jam and many other drivers observed the incident. Therefore, somebody sent the video to broadcast studio. This incident seems to be the first case for golf mk5 in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Japan</st1:country-region></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>

Cause of incident

On this Wednesday (2 August, 2006), the cause of the incident was clarified by inspection with his dealer, inspectors of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tokyo</st1:place></st1:City> fire department, police men, the trader who replaced his exhaust tail pipe and the trader who installed his audio navigation system into his GTI. The inspection revealed that the fire incident was caused by the electrical shorts between the exhaust manifold of TFSI engine (picture as below) and the high capacity electrical wire (red line) to supply the audio navigation system. The power of the audio navigation system had been directly supplied from the battery, and the 'new' electrical wire had been banded with the metal frame over the high temperature manifold by using a nylon tie (pink line) that doesn?t have much heat endurance. The nylon tie was melted down by heat from engine, and then the wire fell onto the manifold in the accident. The proof of this was the traces of adhesion of the wire onto the manifold metal cover (a black scorched line and melted wire have been left on the manifold). Therefore, most of the blame belonged not to the design of GTI but to the rough installation of his audio system.

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>
</o:p>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Other comments<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

The golf mk5 for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> have genuine auto locking system which locks all doors over 15km/h in car speed. We can s elect and change the setting of the system at the dealer. At the fire accident, the GTI owner said that the system had been available and the doors were locked by the system. (Default setting of this system is off.) Of course, the system is designed as the door lock is automatically cancelled when the car is made impact or the driver pulls the door knob twice for the passengers? safety. However, there is possibility that all doors cannot be opened by rescue from outside in the case of system faults. In another words, if driver and system were damaged by other reason, other passenger(s) as well as rescue cannot open doors soon. Furthermore, can you imagine the situation that you meet the similar accident with small children firmly tied on their child seats? Maybe, fire will come up into the cabin in few minutes, after you notice the emergency. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Another problem is the poisoning of toxic carbon monoxide (CO) gas formed at the fire accidents. Indeed, the main causes of death in the similar accident in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> are due to poisoning by CO. If you get poisoned in CO, you suffer from a bad headache, lose consciousness and die for the worst before you stop or escape from the car.<o:p></o:p>

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
So the fire was caused by an electrical fault due to poor installation. Amazes me how they work this stuff out using simple techniques and common sense (something I'm lacking a bit of lol!). So where does the blame lie for this, with the installer who fitted the Satnav?

Very good point about the auto locking feature, too. Most of us on here have this enabled on our Mk4/Mk5's....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Something to think about here. If sat-nav is installed as a retro fit you really do need to tell your insurance company, even for OEM equipment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts