Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why VW now put the GTI badge on the off side on the MK5 when the GTI badge was on the near side on the MK1, 2 and 3?  

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Hi MrCow

My MkV GTI badge is located on the nearside as per earlier models :)
Not on the grill it's not [:)] And I have no idea, I have to be honest and say I'd never noticed [;)]

C

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (and also have a great laugh [:D]) but I thought nearside was "the left", ie passenger side. Thought motoring matched the horses (unusual I know) as that's the case there!

Yours is on your driver side (ergo offside in my book). Can't believe nobody else has answered this thread either - very unusual (and leaves me open to potentially be an idiot!)

I've spoken to a few people before I've posted this, and I'm getting SERIOUSLY mixed results back - quality. I've been through various definitions things online (UK and US before any one asks) and I'm seeing nearside defined as on the left [:|]

Help! heheh

C

·
Registered
59 Posts
[:D] Well AFAIK offside relates to the passenger side and nearside relates to the drivers side [:)]

Perhaps its the US thing thats adding an element of confusion as their cars are left hookers[*-)]

Sorry for the confusion but we seem to be saying the same thing anyway [H]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
LOL yeah but it's bugging me - Graham's kindly started a poll in Off-Topic for me [H]

At least we agree- nice one mate [y]

C

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
nearside is side closest to the kerb...so for RHD cars on british roads driving on the left the passenger side is the near side and drivers side is the off side!

well that's what someone told me!

[:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
That's how I know it too, and how i've found it defined in a few dictionaries on t'web (us and uk!)

Poll's in off-topic - we'll see how that comes out [y]

C

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
In Step Clever Person ...............

The Near-side ............=......Drivers Side

The Off - Side ............=........Passangers Side

[;)]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well it would appear that you're right CkB [:)]

After looking on a few police sites, breakers sites etc I can confirm that I know bu66er all [:)]

Offside = Driver Side and Nearside = Passenger Site

On that note I'll get my coat...........................[:$]

·
Registered
44 Posts
In Step Clever Person ...............

The Near-side ............=......Drivers Side

The Off - Side ............=........Passangers Side

[;)]
Get your coat clever person. Makes you wonder how much of the stuff in these forums in nonsense when someone is so certain and yet so wrong.

Anyway, why are the badges on different sides? Anyone (really) know?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts