Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I finally decided now was a good a time as any to pop down the dealers and book the car in to get some stuff tweaked:

• Door Seals - passenger has gone and the guy recommended the driver side
    gets "lots of use to generate a fault" - these have apparently changed
    in design since being brought out - maybe that'll stop them keep coming
    away with whatever glue they use!

• Steering Rack - I've got that nasty creaking that others have found
    when turning to the left at slow speeds. They can't do diddly yet
    until Germany sort their lives out - apparently the racks they've had
    back have got no actual fault, just tension in the wrong place or
    something (I'm not that engineeringly techie so don't look at me if I
    barfed that up wrong!)

• Electric Windows - when I got the car, when you put the driver window
    up on auto it'd get 2-3cm from the top and drop again, and you'd have
    to do it all manually - cleared itself after a week but it's back with
    avengance, and it's making me cold! [;)]

• Auto Lights - they're sh1te and come on at all sorts of odd times, and
    unless it's very dark, not when you want them. They're gonna
    check they're coded right as apparently a few have gone out with shit
    code (there's no sensitivity adjustment as previously said by people
    however, just code changes?)

• Sunglasses Holder - the clip to keep this shut couldn't hold a feather
    up. We'll see if they can replace that little blighter with one
    that actually works (I'm sure this pee'd John off when he installed the
    parrot last weekend! Everytime he touched the ceiling it came
    open!)

• Seatbelt Ping - it's finally sent me loopy, so pending the legality,
    he's gonna get that turned off for me via their vagcom equivalent.

• Door alignment - although the bottom half looks ok, the top half of my
    driver door (window area) looks like it sticks out flush from the back
    half of the car, so theyre gonna check that too.

THREE DAYS they reckon - but (after I told him there was no way I was
accepting one of them damn polos for that long) he's given me a nice
new 55 plate Bora TDI SE (100bhp is it?) to play with. Auto with
tiptronic - should be fun (6)

Now you've seen that, anyone had their Golf5's back for some tweaking??

C

PS - I nicely told the guy that if came back with anything else wrong,
I'd go a bit ape mind - it's Beadles of Dartford so... [;)]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
are Beadles an advertiser on here Chris ? It'd be interesting if all doesn't go to plan.

Auto lights- have the same problem. They are rubbish, go under a tree and they come on. Go out in fog when its semi-dark..nothing

Sunglasses holder - made from plastic-ised balsa wood. Its rubbish.

Seatbelt ping - they won't disable it. Its a "safaety" feature. I've asked my dealer already.

Door alignment - mine is exactly the same for the driver's door

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am on my 5th door seal. This one is stuck on with their own glue.

Sealtbelt ping - Safety my bottom. Having it disabled does not implicate safety at all. I turned my off (VAG-COM) after 3 days of ownership.

Sunglasses holder - agreed, it is cack, mine rattles.

I have also been back about 8 days for a rattle by the speedo (fixed), a new headrest (the old one jammed). 2 bits of door trim ( the original was fitted incorrectly by the factory, they broke the next one as they were putting it in) and a squeaky rear seat.

This has cost VW ?1000 in warranty claims, even though most of it was caused by dealer incompetence.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sometimes its hard to believe we are all talking about the same car. I should obviously be thankful I have not experienced any of these faults.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sealtbelt ping - Safety my bottom.
Having it disabled does not implicate safety at all. I turned my
off (VAG-COM) after 3 days of ownership.
I think what Damian means (and I'm suspect they'll tell me) is that
they can't turn off safety features such as this one blah blah.
So I'll have to sweet talk some nice person with Vagcom to plug in for
me and turn the blighter off.

TBH, none of it's major and none of it affects the drive (despite the
damn door seal on it's way out, it doesn't cause noise issues) and
after a stern telling off the sunglasses holder normally behaves itself.

Sounds like MilkFloat's (sorry forgotten yer name) had a fair run on
his one though - mine's fine generally, just need to sort the few
little niggles out. [:)]

Oh and Damian, what you on about - that's a dealer in Dartford.
You might have seen someone from Beadles in Bromley trying to flog a
load of stuff the other day tho??

C

PS - I probably won't be this happy andcalm when it comes back but we'll see

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Mine had to go back within a week as I'd spotted a few things, I had the following done:-

- New passenger door card, the trim looked like something was stuck underneath it.

- Headlight washers fixed as they keeped popping out after use, hadn't been screwed on properly!

- Headlight flickering - again something was loose and needed tightening.

I've got the following current problems and I'm just waiting for a good time to get it in:-

- My doors are out of line at the top by the window, similar to what you've described, I pointed it out to the dealer but they needed the bodyshop to look at it (which is 5 miles away) and so I've waited.

- The rear high brake light is full of condensation.

- The headlights get condensation in the in rain, I've only noticed it once and it's cleared up now though.

- I've got the problem with the window one touch, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...

- Not convinced my passenger door close with enough of a solid clunk like the driver one does, could be a door seal...

Nothing major and so it'll wait until I work from home one day, the last time it was in the wait for a courtesy car was almost as long as the wait after ordering my car!

The sunglasses holder had my glasses in for roughly 100m, before the rattling annoyed me and I haven't used it since.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine had to go back within a week as I'd spotted a few things, I had the following done:-

- New passenger door card, the trim looked like something was stuck underneath it.

- Headlight washers fixed as they keeped popping out after use, hadn't been screwed on properly!

- Headlight flickering - again something was loose and needed tightening.

I've got the following current problems and I'm just waiting for a good time to get it in:-

- My doors are out of line at the top by the window, similar to what
you've described, I pointed it out to the dealer but they needed the
bodyshop to look at it (which is 5 miles away) and so I've waited.

- The rear high brake light is full of condensation.

- The headlights get condensation in the in rain, I've only noticed it once and it's cleared up now though.

- I've got the problem with the window one touch, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...

- Not convinced my passenger door close with enough of a solid clunk like the driver one does, could be a door seal...

Nothing major and so it'll wait until I work from home one day, the
last time it was in the wait for a courtesy car was almost as long as
the wait after ordering my car!

The sunglasses holder had my glasses in for roughly 100m, before the rattling annoyed me and I haven't used it since.
A bit of kitchen roll sorts the sunglasses holder from rattling, well
it does for me. Also put the glasses in lenses up and they seem
to move less (the joys of traffic jams, etc [;)])

See with you and Milkfloat posting stuff up like that, it makes me feel
lucky-ish I guess, and quite happy, that I don't have half the aggro
other people seem to... And I am a picky bugger, so I don't think it's
just me accepting crap!

Yeah the courtesy car wait is fun... When I said about not wanting a
polo he was on about keeping the prices of servicing down - I think he
regretted that one (guided by VW, and also if I was sold a fault free
car I wouldn't need one anyway [;)])

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Electric Windows - when I got the car, when you put the driver window up on auto it'd get 2-3cm from the top and drop again, and you'd have to do it all manually
My MkIV has been doing this for ages on the driver door, it's seriously uncool for a German car, dealer can't replicate it never mind fix it, they faffed around with it for a whole day at least while it was in for bodyshop, didn't find a fault, so didn't charge me. Still want it fixed [:(]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Doors sticking out at the top is extremely common, if not normal. I think it is to do with the top of the doors being pretty flexible being pushed out by a double rubber seal.

Mine got adjusted by very slightly bending the door frame. Adjusting the latch or hinges is unlikely to make any difference apart from putting the door out of alignment elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
To be fair, the car only came from the factory with a few faults: The headrest and the door trim. The rattle started a month after I had the car, and the doorseal when VW adjusted the door alignment. All the rest of the problems have occured when the dealers tried to fix the faults.

·
Registered
471 Posts
To be fair, the car only came from the
factory with a few faults: The headrest and the door trim.
The rattle started a month after I had the car, and the doorseal when
VW adjusted the door alignment. All the rest of the problems have
occured when the dealers tried to fix the faults.
I've got a slight rattle that started a few months ago in a panel on
the passenger side of the car... next time the car goes in I'll see
about having it fixed. Hopefully they can sort the "clunk" noise that
the car makes when turning left then as well, though as you said, we
have to wait for the Germans to stop faffing about before they can do
that...

Will the dealer not turn the seatbelt ping off? Because it's absurdly
annoying, especially when a friend's jumped in 'cos they're a lazy git
and want to go 100m down the road... if not, is there someone in
Canterbury with VAG-COM who'll be able to help me out a little?[:D]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Kiss of death, but I must be dead lucky, alright I've only had mine a month, but nothing wrong yet(Everything crossed), only wheel hub centres repalced under warranty.

This door seal things a worry though.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bugger, 2 days too early heh otherwise I'd jump on the bandwagon and come and meet you guys wherever [:)]

I've had my GTI since June, and bar the window thing, everything's
really come to light of late, not since day one... So Derv B (I think
it was you) watch out heh [;)]

C

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had the window drop down symptom on my Golf, this I found worked once and for all, manually raise the window, lower the window 2/3 to 3/4 then applied my arm pressure on the glass, window works fine ever since

My door is slightly off line at the top driver's side, took it in once and was resolved for a while but back with the slightly annoying wind noise.

Steering is fine no noise, a 'brother' who told me about this forum had asked if I had the noise from the steering.

Glad I'm not the only MK5 gti driver around north Bham.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it's in, I just wait and see what happens now. Service boys better not be in wind down mode for Christmas TOO much dammit [;)]

Got a nice Bora 100pd Auto Highline 55 plate to play with in the mean time - nice car, funny being back in a mark 4 though. A) it rolls like an absolute git (nearly lost it on a big roundabout bringing it home that the GTI would've eaten, naturally [;)]) and b) it took me a good 2 mins to find the damn petrol cap button it's been so long [:$]

It's all good though - Bora Pix Clicky Here !

C

·
Registered
554 Posts
Got a nice Bora 100pd Auto Highline 55 plate to play with in the mean time - nice car, funny being back in a mark 4 though. A) it rolls like an absolute git (nearly lost it on a big roundabout bringing it home that the GTI would've eaten, naturally [;)]) and b) it took me a good 2 mins to find the damn petrol cap button it's been so long [:$]

It's all good though - Bora Pix Clicky Here !

C
Hear what you are saying about the Bora, the wife has a 130 PD Tiptronic, fantastic cruising car but blimey after the GTi corners and round abouts can get a bit hairy, its not thats there no grip just massive amounts of body roll if it were private rather than a company car would definetly be fitting some Eibach ARB's, hope all gets sorted to your satisfaction on the GTi [:)]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Milkfloat - Where did you get your VAG-Com cable and software ? I'm looking at buying it from www.ross-tech.com and was wondering if that was the best and cheapest place to buy it ? Any recommendations from others appreciated [:)]

Thanks,

JD

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right, it's back.

The steering creek is outstanding they're not saying when we'll get an answer, so I'll be after them next month (and there's gonna be a row anyway - be warned if you're a Beadles person, they're refusing to let you Self-Insure courtesy cars as of now! And I want one for when they do that as it's warranty stuff!)

My seals have all been changed, we'll see how they go.

The window sensers have been tweaked and reset, and they're happy with them - again we'll see.

The lights they say are working fine - so I'll have to live with that bundle of joy.

Two new number plates and my surrounds fitted - cost me the price of one plate - bingo, good man Elton! [y]

My airbag wires have been sorted out and tidied back under the driver's seat where they belong.

They've replaced my sunglasses holder completely - and by god it's a damn site more solid and sturdy feeling it was, if it stays as it is, that's a job well sorted!

As predicted, they refused to disable the seatbelt alarm - I'm gonna see if I can sweet talk someone at the Awesome RR day about getting rid of that.

And finally, the door alignment is apparently "as designed". Having checked with Germany they reckon that it's as designed, and helps reduce wind noise. I remain unconvinced but we'll see (I look forward to some views from you guys on that one!)

That's it - and hell I've missed my car [:'(]. The Bora is a nice car and everything, but as it was missing 100 horses, I just couldn't drive like I normally do. Oh and I couldn't feel the steering or the road. It wasn't half bumpy by comparison coming home this evening when I picked it up.....

[Y]

Merry Christmas Folks

C

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Milkfloat - Where did you get your VAG-Com cable and software ? I'm looking at buying it from www.ross-tech.com and was wondering if that was the best and cheapest place to buy it ? Any recommendations from others appreciated [:)]

Thanks,

JD
Yup I bought it direct from the US. I got it shipped to my office out there and bought it back when I returned. This is the cheapest way I know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts