Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This months CAR mag has a small piece on the new Leon FR which says that it will run the 200bhp 2.0T from the mkV GTI. It also says that the Cupra version will get a 240bhp version of the same engine which is destined for the GTI in April.

Anyone heard anything about this?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
This months CAR mag has a small piece on the new Leon FR which says that it will run the 200bhp 2.0T from the mkV GTI. It also says that the Cupra version will get a 240bhp version of the same engine which is destined for the GTI in April.

Anyone heard anything about this?
There are going to a lot of unhappy GTI owners if this is true [:O]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
To be honest if its true i cant say i had not expected this to happen.But maybe the 240 ps will be given 4wheel drive too.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I reckon the GTI will get it, but not for at least the next 18months. The MK4 1.8T 150 was around for nearly 4yrs before the uprated to the 180.

If previous VAG trend is anything to go by, the VW will never get the very top spec engine.... that always goes to the hot Audi's and SEAT's. Look at the Cupra R, a 225hp hatch for ?17.5k... the nearest the Golf GTI got was 180bhp as standard. It might well change this time around, but i cant see it personally.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mo - are you seriously suggesting the brand new, just released, R32 is soon to be deleted and replaced by an R36, making it the shortest lived VW Golf ever?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Probably in a few years time it will be.

Give it a few years and the GTI will probably get more power.Same with the current R32.

·
Registered
207 Posts
With the R32 just launched and the GTI only one year on the UK forecourts - no, I think what's being said is a load of conkers! I can see an R36 as an out-and-out raw performance variant near the end of the MkV's life and maybe a mild power upgrade on the 2.0 FSI turbo unit in the GTI, but I'd expect to see no more than a 20bhp hike. Any more and you'd kill off the R32. If you really want a faster GTI, just get it remapped. Oetinger offer a mild remap and (to be confirmed) it's warranty safe, being only 20bhp and approved by VW? I'm still looking into that, as my experience is that UK dealerships will not warranty these things, yet in Germany they do - provided it's a tuning company approved by the Manufacturer - like Oetinger or Abt. Still, it's never been an issue for me with Audi on my remapped TT, which AmD did.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It makes sense in a VW way. All the top end engines have been superceded by a more powerful derivative and they've usually finished the cycle of the car with a range topper to go out with a bang, so no reason for there not to be an R36, but they dont have to 'delete' the R32 to do it.

GT TDi was the 110bhp, then 115bhp, 130 then 150bhp (aka GTI yeah i know)

GTi was 125bhp then 150 turbo'd then replaced with 180 bhp

V5 uprated from 150 bhp to 170 bhp

V6 4motion 204 bhp at the time was only 24 horses more than the GTI and was succeeded by the R32!!!!

Surely VW will do this with others as theres evidence that its started already with the diesel. 2 GT TDi's will be available with 140 and 170bhp, roll on a more powerful GTI!!!

p.s. VW like other companies do not care about us, we spend our hard earned cash and they continuously rip us off, but at least dont change shapes/marques like Ford do!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi gents, if I can just ask for some info. on this one also:-

I, too, am considering a Revo re-map for my Mk V GTI, and I`m interested to know how it affected fuel consumption, which on the standard car, is very good IMO.

Revo quote a figure of 260 bhp, for the initial re-map, so I`m just wondering if it`ll make my baby into a gas-guzzler. (Having just sold a Scooby STI PPP, which returned only 17mpg, I`m not anxious to go back to that figure anytime soon..........................

Any thoughts anyone ?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Dexter

I would not expect a remap to affect consumption terribly, unless you nail it everywhere. In any given situation, a remapped car often uses less throttle, so you can see a small average improvement in consumption.

I would urge you to continue your research - If I recall, REVO quote that sort of number but the basic car they achieved that figure on started with higher than normal bhp. I think you will find most tuners squeeze another 40bhp out of the GTI so don't be lured just by the quoted number.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts