Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, need some advice about buying a new motor

- Currently own a mk4 GTi which ive had for 4 years

- Been looking at Mk5 gti's - test drove a DSG on the weekend and fell in love.

- Car is a bit more than i had planned to spend (still affordable though) but is fully loaded. It is in Silver, which isn't my first choice colour, but still very nice

Question is..... Do i try to squeeze a deal out now before new year or am i better of waiting for my perfect car, bearing in mind im struggling to find anything close to this.

Basically, do i sacrifice all the options for colour.

Cheers guys, im going crazy thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
What are the options you want? (if its leather, highline comp, armrest n ipod for example then another car in the 'right' colour would be easyish to find)

Its prob the wrong time of year as not many people change them at xmas. Silver looks nice, but which colour(s) did u want and would you always look at it and wish u had picked another colour? if so then walk away, if not then buy.... drive..... enjoy :)

Have u tried drivethedeal.com for brand new uk supplied cars from uk dealers? Might get u big enough discount to buy new?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ideally all i 'need' is DSG with paddle-shifters, leather and 18" alloys, 3door, preferable in tornado red (or candy white maybe)

The one i am looking at, which has roughly the same screen price as above new, has, sat nav, winter pack, telephone prep, parking sensors, sunroof, metallic paint, 6 disk cd changer, leather, multi function steering wheel. And only 8,000 miles.

Now my dilemma is whether im worth going for 2nd hand car, which has already lost the bulk of its depreciation, and has loads of extras, or wait 'how ever long' for a new one just for the sake of colour basically.

I cant remember being this confused when i bought my mk4.......

I appreciate any comment guys, and please post up, email, pm link any reflex silver GTi's you may have. Thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If your asking these kind of questions then its probably not the car for you, whilst it might be a good spec the first thing you are going to notice is the colour, I would always put colour first options second. As for new, look at drive the deal and spec the car you want with the options that you want and see how it compares to the silver one, if its the case of ?1000 consider it, but bare in mind DTD won't tkae a PX. Oh and if you can afford to buy now then do so, at the moment dealers are struggling, most of peoples money this time of year goes on christmas presents not cars. Come the new yea you won't get such a good deal. Look on the VW website and search for your car, don't be put off by a distance, to drive 500 miles get the perfect car and save a packet is well worth it. YOu might even find the dealer will deliver it FOC, I know Audi will. But as i said earlier, I think your better off looking for your car not a quick fix.

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
894 Posts
There is quite a difference between Tornado Red and Reflex Silver.

I'd hang on and go for the colour you really want otherwise you may regret it..........especially if you see a Tornado Red a few weeks later.

Its a lot of money on something you may feel is second best if you're not sure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Once I had made my mind up on a GTI, I had the choice of an easier life financially with a second-hand one or stretching myself to the limit with a new one specced up exactly how I wanted it. The trouble with the first option was that I wasn't finding many cars near the spec I wanted. I knew that if I compromised, I would start regretting I hadn't spent a few grand more getting exactly what I wanted and, let's face it, ?20K is a lot of money to spend on something you're not entirely happy with.

I would watch and wait if I were you and get one you're going to be 100% happy with.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think I'm one of the few who really like the Silver, there's not many about, where as there's plenty of Red and Blacks and steel Greys.

It's true that sooner of later the right car will come along, but as already said, if you have to ask the question, you must have doubt.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your advice guys, even though its put even more doubt into my head now. After sleeping on it i was thinking that if i could get them down a bit more well then i would go for it, but now I'm back to where i was.

Not that its a huge concern but thinking in terms of resale value, would i be right in saying that reflex silver is not one of the most 'popular' GTi colours then?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Forget about resale it ain't going to make any difference what so ever a dealer will always quote book price. Other colours might be more desirable but won't make it worth more.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not that its a huge concern but thinking in terms of resale value, would i be right in saying that reflex silver is not one of the most 'popular' GTi colours then?
Silver is not as popular a colour as the safer Grey, Black or Blue but it very much depends on whether you have intentions of selling it privately or trading it in. As stated, if you're going to trade it in, colour doesn't matter that much. However, I somehow think you'd be slashing your chances of a private sale if you had, for example, a Candy White GTI (although White is a bit more trendier these days and the 3 Door GTI looks pretty good in it).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for your great advice guys. I think i have calmed down from the 'dsg car lust' and have decided to wait for my near perfect car. Silver is a gorgeous colour but i think im going to go for a tornado red one.

I did actually find one today online, but when i rang up and it was sold. Oh well.

But if anyone is selling a tornado red, 3dr, DSG with steering wheel control, and leather, let me know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
But if anyone is selling a tornado red, 3dr, DSG with steering wheel control, and leather, let me know.

Thanks again.
?
The DSG box is superb, but the flappy paddle shifters are gimmicky. I wouldn't let that hold you back on a good deal if one came up. My mate has an Audi A3 with them & he says he can't remember the last time he's bothered with them! He persuaded me that they were a waste of money & I thank him for saving me the cash. Most folk leave the drive in full Auto mode anyway.
What I'm surprised at is the fact you've not mentioned Xenons on your spec list. This is almost the single most regreted decision by forum members buying a MKV. Retro fitting Xenons is an involved job which is expensive, but the difference in light quality is AMAZING.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The DSG box is superb, but the flappy paddle shifters are gimmicky. I wouldn't let that hold you back on a good deal if one came up. My mate has an Audi A3 with them & he says he can't remember the last time he's bothered with them! He persuaded me that they were a waste of money & I thank him for saving me the cash. Most folk leave the drive in full Auto mode anyway.

What I'm surprised at is the fact you've not mentioned Xenons on your spec list. This is almost the single most regreted decision by forum members buying a MKV. Retro fitting Xenons is an involved job which is expensive, but the difference in light quality is AMAZING.
It's just the way I've got used to driving but I tend to use the paddle-shift for changing down (although this will occur automatically once a lower rev threshold has been reached) and the gear-shift for changing up in manual mode. I quite like the paddles. They're unobtrusive, easy to use and do the job without having to take your hands off the steering wheel (great if you're a boy-racer which I'm not).

I agree about the Xenons. These IMO are a "must have" option. They light up the road wonderfully well and make night driving so much less tiring. You do get the odd driver flashing you because they think you've got your beam on but, when you point it out to them by actually putting your beam on, they get the message in no uncertain terms.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hadn't really thought about Xenons to be honest. A mate of mine retro fitted them on his mk4 and although then give a much better light and look awesome from the outside, are they really worth the extra ?725? I think i would rather have parking sensors and heated seats.

Ive tried complying a priority list of options and its so difficult. This is what i came up with.

Must be:<o:p></o:p>

• 3 door<o:p></o:p>
  • DSG with steering wheel control<o:p></o:p>
  • Red<o:p></o:p>
  • Vienna Leather (black)<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>High
Priority<o:p></o:p>

• CD player<o:p></o:p>
  • 18? <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Monza</st1:City></st1:place> II Alloys<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Medium

• Heated Seats<o:p></o:p>
  • Rear Parking Sensors<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>Low

• Bi-Xenons headlights<o:p></o:p>
  • Multi Function steering wheel<o:p></o:p>
  • Cruise control<o:p></o:p>

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the current waiting list for a new car? According to DriveTheDeal i can save over 1500quid on a brand new one with the spec i want (?23,700 at dealer vs ?22,500 with them)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Of course, everyone has different tastes (as it would be a very boring world) but, for what it's worth;

There have not been very good reports about the quality of the leather in the new Mk V and the standard retro style seats are very good. The leather option is also more expensive than the Xenons. Only my opinion but I would swap your Leather "must be" for Xenons any day. I would also add 18" Monzas to that list too - Have you seen the difference between the versions?

Standard dealer waiting list is 12 weeks. If you are lucky, this could go down to 8.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Leather is bloody cold this time of year !!! I'd go for cloth and have the xenons. I thought the MF steering wheel was standard with paddles ???

·
Registered
423 Posts
A mate of mine retro fitted them on his mk4 and although then give a much better light and look awesome from the outside, are they really worth the extra ?725?
YES !!!Some people on this forum have retro fitted them for much more money than the factory fitted cost.Once you own a car with Xenon headlamps you can never go back to standard filament or halogen bulbs.. the difference is that striking.
DSG Box with multi-function steering wheel (MFW) should give you your flappy paddle gear shifters as standard, AFAIK it's not an additional option.
If going for Leather then you simply MUST have the winter pack (heated front seats) otherwise it will be an awkward first few minutes on a winters morning!!
Just can't believe you place gimmicky features such as Parking Sensors & Multi-Function Steering Wheel in front of really beneficial features such as Xenons & Heated Seats!!! Personal taste I guess!
Average build time on a configured to order car is 12 - 16 weeks. (Mine took 12 weeks). New cars from standard stock (i.e. limited options) should be available witin a matter of days.
When spending that kind of money it is better to build a car to your own spec. Including the options that are important to you. Chances of finding another bespoke car with the spec you're after is remote. You'll spend your days driving around in a car that cost you almost as much as a new car but having to live with the regrets of not going the extra yard.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm sure if you spec leather you get heated seats as standard.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts