Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, does this sound right to you, my Sep2005 gti dsg is saying it needs a service in 4days or 4000miles, it has only done 7500 miles ?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
the service is 10,000 miles or 12months or whichever comes sooner i think. so if in the 12months you have only done 5000miles regardless of this you will still need a service

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
No doubt your car has the "service bug".

Take it to the dealer and ask them to reset it. The MINIMUM mileage for a car on long-life srevicing to need a service is 9k. Everyone seems to go a long way further than that though. Mine, not a GTI, was first serviced at 18k. The service indicator on mine needed reset at 4k miles.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think your car is probably set to time and distance as mine was, and not variable. The first service is just an oil change if you stick with time and distance and just cost me 90 odd quid. If you don't do many miles your probably better off with t and d, otherwise it could be 3 years before your car has a service which I personally wouldn't like. I think your car is set to t and d as its almost dead on 12 months old

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You were right, phoned the dealer and it is indeed set to time and distance. But the costs are very different to yours, I've been quoted £190 ?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You were right, phoned the dealer and it is indeed set to time and distance. But the costs are very different to yours, I've been quoted £190 ?
No doubt your dealer has changed your car to fixed time/distance in an effort to increase their income!

If I were you I would get them to reset it for long-life (your car came from the factory with the expensive oil in it) and when the time comes shop around for the best price.

My first long-life service at 18k miles was £135.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Good advice as usual from Ken. You should get another six months before you need a service if the dealer switches it back to variable servicing (which is the setting it should be on when handed over unless the first owner has asked for time/distance).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is all very interesting, I didn't ask for it to be set to time/distance servicing, and I've had it from new ?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had my new car setup this way, it seems that a lot of dealers are doing this with out telling you.  They told me it was because the customers found it difficult to understand the variable servicing schedules (?!!).  I found out mine had been changed when I went to pick up my car, I had it changed 'back' to variable servicing (after they told me that this couldn't be done without changing the oil & filter first, which is of course rubbish!!) the next day (took an hour of waiting).

·
Registered
894 Posts
This is all very interesting, I didn't ask for it to be set to time/distance servicing, and I've had it from new ?
As I understand it they are now all being set to time/distance servicing & you now need to ask for ' Longlife regime ' to be set at the PDI rather than what used to be the other way round. That is what I told by a dealer this week when checking the current PDI set up.

I suppose cost wise as a customer you've already paid for more expensive initial Longlife oil fill at the factory anyway in the price of the car so both VW UK & the dealer network won't really be bothered.

Would be interesting to know if this is now VW UK policy i.e. if they are actually set up at the factory this way for the UK market now or whether dealers are being encouraged to set up time/distance during PDI.

·
Registered
990 Posts
According to my mate all Golfs/Bora/Jetta/Passats made since 2000 are set to variable servicing at the factory.

What the stealers should be doing is asking the customer what sort of mileage they do and then advising them if it should be changed, not being sneaky barstewards and changing it without their knowledge.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
According to my mate all Golfs/Bora/Jetta/Passats made since 2000 are set to variable servicing at the factory.

What the stealers should be doing is asking the customer what sort of mileage they do and then advising them if it should be changed, not being sneaky barstewards and changing it without their knowledge.
Correctamundo [:D]

A good dealer, like mine, should consult you before delivery.

If you read 20Valve's posts in the "sticky" thread you will see that anyone doing over a certain low mileage is better off on the long-life scheme.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
All the discussion about 'variable servicing' or time and distance' is only relevent at the point the first service is carried out. I cannot imagine why anyone would ask a dealer to alter the servicing regime on a new car filled with Longlife oil to 'time and distance' as (as already been pointed out) the owner has already paid the premium for the oil in the price of the car. Once the first service is due that discussion takes place as there is a significant cost difference between the two types of service (£30 to £40 if I remember correctly) and, depending on the mileage the car will be driven, the benefit of that extra outlay may not be very noticable.

Any dealer who sets a new car to 'time and distance' is doing so simply to increase his servicing departments income. Excuses such as 'the customer does not understand how it works' etc are pathetic, particularly before the first service has occured, as there is nothing to understand apart from booking the car in when the display on the dash tells you to!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Whilst agreeing with what all the others have said about Variable and Longlife servicing (and that it does seem that your dealer is setting this up to potentially charge you more) it's not necessarily a bad idea to change your oil and filter at 7500 miles. But not for £190.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It does seem very confusing, I've never had this problem with any of my previous cars. For example when I bought a honda it was made clear it needed it every year/12000 miles. VW just seem to be confusing people. I'm a bit old fashioned and I agree an oil change every year is no bad thing, but what exactely are they doing for £190 ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A quick update on my situation. The garage foreman looked at the car and confirmed that it was on a long life setting and that the car was requesting a service, apparentely this can happen anytime after 13 months. I was charged £202, but long life oil was not used and the car was changed to time and distance servicing, I only do about 8000 miles a year.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mavmaz, you have been given good advice here:
No doubt your car has the "service bug". Take it to the dealer and ask them to reset it. The MINIMUM mileage for a car on long-life srevicing to need a service is 9k. Everyone seems to go a long way further than that though. Mine, not a GTI, was first serviced at 18k. The service indicator on mine needed reset at 4k miles.
Why did you not use this advice?

I agree with Ken and still think you have the software glitch that gives innacurate service calls as needing a service with Longlife oil at 7,500 miles (twelve months) is not right unless you have used the car for a few minutes aech day and never got it warmed up or some strange scenario like that. If it was me I would complain and say I bought the car partly due to the Longlife service regime and was told I would get 18,000 miles or up to two years in the markeiting bumph. Can they offer any compelling reason why it has only managed 50% of this claim? I would expect at least a conribution to the service cost.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Fair enough if you decided that you wanted to go over to fixed service intervals.

But...to pay £202 for a first service without long-life oil is total Fekking robbery! I paid £135 with long-life oil.

I think you have been over charged by £80-£90[:mad:]

I would be having a word with the service manager. Ask them how many hours labour they charged. If more than 0.9hours then ask for some maoney back. If they don't play ball, call VW customer services and complain.

ARE YOU READING THIS VW?

This over-charging by dealers for servicing has got to stop!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts