Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
It'll be a GT , rather than a GTI spec. The 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI will be GT spec, both with 170 PS.

The last I heard the 1.4 TSI will be out in July in right hand drive, but I don't know about the TDI version. Both were due in Jan this year, but typically both are delayed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So is that the deeper GTi 1K0807217DGRU - FRONT BUMPER SKIN on the GT or is it the shallow (like the current Golf) Jetta version ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is it me, or do those new GT wheels look like the cheap clip-ons from Halfords?!

Anyways, here is a rear shot of the new GT TDI (Picture from German VW www)

170PS standard sould be handy. Would this be the most powerful Diesel Golf since the 150PS Mk IV GT TDI?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
170PS standard sould be handy. Would this be the most powerful Diesel Golf since the 150PS Mk IV GT TDI?
Certainly would [:)]
...and the most powerful diesel Golf ever, no?

Also, there are no other comparable diesels in this calsss from other makers are there?

Should be quite a car. I wonder how the prices will look for the diesel and the funky 1.4 twin charger job?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Certainly would [:)]
...and the most powerful diesel Golf ever, no?

Also, there are no other comparable diesels in this calsss from other makers are there?

Should be quite a car. I wonder how the prices will look for the diesel and the funky 1.4 twin charger job?
...and also the most powerful diesel Golf ever! [:D]

There will also be a 170 TDI Leon I would have thought....I think it's already in the Altea [:^)].

·
Registered
98 Posts
I notice from the picture it has normal exhausts ,they are not pointing down or covered.................Interesting is that the Diesel or Not ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The pic is of the 1.4 TSI, not the 2.0 TDI. I haven't seen a pic of the diesel version yet. Figures are 137 mph, 0-62 in 8.2 seconds and combined mpg of 47.9.

Just found the press text from Frankfurt last year:

Golf GT: Following on from the Golf R32 and the Golf GTI, Volkswagen will launch a third dynamic version of the most successful European car on the market, the Golf GT, at the end of 2005. It provides endless power in a double-pack. The new Golf GT comes with a dual-charged FSI engine ? a world premiere ? (Twincharger = turbocharger plus compressor) as well as the so far most powerful VW four-cylinder turbo diesel. Both engines deliver 125 kW / 170 hp. Characteristics: more performance, lower consumption. Let?s take the Golf GT with the 1.4-litre 125-kW Twincharger engine, for example. Its four-cylinder engine is the most powerful in an all-new engine range. The Golf GT reaches 100 km/h in just 7.9 seconds with this powerplant. Top speed: 220 km/h. Average consumption: 7.2 litres. For example, the Golf GT 2.0 TDI, which uses the latest piezo unit injector system and four-valve technology, accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 8.2 seconds and reaches a top speed of 220 km/h. Average consumption: 5.9 litres. The Golf GT models will be launched with their own individual styling and equipment.

·
Registered
376 Posts
There was one of these GT's at Frankfurt in September. IMO it didn't look anything special....but the two engines look [Y].

·
Registered
74 Posts
Speaking to a VW dealer on Friday. He told me the 170 has been delayed, and the latest VW rumour is that the UK isnt going to be getting it after all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It will - it's just that VW can't forecast for toffee.

The Passat model mix projection for the 170 PS TDI in the UK was 2% last October - totally daft and short of reality.

Golf GTI in the last year of Mk4 production accounted for over 50% of all Golf sales. Diesel was a significant proportion of that.

These projections by the excel-loving accountants in Milton Keynes who know nothing about their product, mean that production planning is woefully wide of the mark - so there is a chronic shortage of engines. I could name and shame - but I'll keep my powder dry fro now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Speaking to a VW dealer on Friday. He told me
the 170 has been delayed, and the latest VW rumour is that the UK isnt
going to be getting it after all.
I actually heard this as well last week but tend to take anything that the dealer says with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The pic is of the 1.4 TSI, not the 2.0 TDI. I haven't seen a pic of the diesel version yet. Figures are 137 mph, 0-62 in 8.2 seconds and combined mpg of 47.9.
Are those the fuel figures for the petrol - fantastic if they are. My 1.6FSI with 115ps is only 41.5 combined [*-)]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I was thinking though that the new 170 diesel is going to cause some problems when it comes to pricing and the effect on residuals. Its going to have to be priced at around the ?18k mark and this means that the 140 diesel is going to have to be readjusted in price accordingly (as it will now be the sport rather than the GT) therefore I would expect the 140's price to be readjusted to around ?16k. This means that all the used stock that dealers have is going to have to be adjusted accordingly and the trade in values will also suffer a hit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts