Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed on the GTI configurator site that the GTI starts at ?20335, not sure if the spec has changed.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Cheeky bar stewards. You'd have thought with the R now available it'd drop slightly, not go up!

Have to have a rummage through later and see what's different (probably nothing but you know!)

C

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thats taking the pith! If I was in the market for a GTI class car now, my money would go to the Focus ST. They've just made the choice easier by making the margin in price even bigger.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thats taking the pith! If I was in the market for a GTI class car now, my money would go to the Focus ST. They've just made the choice easier by making the margin in price even bigger.
Me too but I may go for the new VRS TOO VW price range are geting so bad look at polo gti at what 15k-16k ahh what a joke

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Just aswell I placed the order before xmas then!

But its very cheeky tho putting the price up with no real change in base spec.

Maybe its to cover the cost of replacing all these dodgy steering racks!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Cheeky bar stewards. You'd have thought with the R now available it'd drop slightly, not go up!
They've probably been reading all the forums and seen that hardly anybody likes the R32 and are anticipating increased sales in GTI's!

·
Registered
737 Posts
What an absolute rip-off! The car is already overpriced imo; VW are simply milking the market; considering the competition around(Focus ST?) I think this is very brave pricing. I also read the other day that the MKV GTI  will be launched soon in the USA for $22,000...I make that @?12,800. 

·
Registered
233 Posts
Price increase has affected every model in range, makes the job that bit harder let me tell you.
I suupose the price increase may help the resale value of existing owned examples though....

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The spec has actually been getting worse bit by bit (speakers, ash tray cover, integrated aerial etc), so the price rise is a real one, not just inflation.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I actually prefer the bee sting aerial but yes the spec is getting worse whilst the price is going up. The early GTI's are looking more and more like the better option to buying a new one! Its like when they dropped the 2 zone climatic control from the higher models and then offered it as a ?500 option.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Its like when they dropped the 2 zone climatic control from the higher models and then offered it as a ?500 option.
I got stung with this one. Just after I place my order, GT models were reduced by ?910 and 2zone climate removed from the spec.

I was hoping that the car would come without the climate so I would be refunded ?910. But unfortunately it did and I was only refunded ?215, as the clmate was a ?695 option.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I was hoping that the car would come without the climate so I would be refunded ?910. But unfortunately it did and I was only refunded ?215, as the clmate was a ?695 option.
You would have had more to complain about if the car did not have the 2-zone climate control. It was standard when you ordered the car and it was right that the built car had it regardless of what changes were made AFTER you ordered (otherwise it would not have accorded with the spec you ordered and you would have had grounds to reject the car).

The people who have a right to complain are the few on here who ordered an SE spec car last year and did not get the auto wipers, dimming mirrors etc that were standard when their cars were ordered (but deleted by VW afterwards).

Strictly, dealers should notify customers waiting for oredered cars to be delivered when there have been spec changes to give them the opportunity to accept or decline the changes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What an absolute rip-off! The car is already overpriced imo; VW are simply milking the market; considering the competition around(Focus ST?) I think this is very brave pricing. I also read the other day that the MKV GTI will be launched soon in the USA for $22,000...I make that @?12,800.
From VW Vortex:

"Speaking of price expect the GTI to sticker around $22,350 (?12,556) in two-door form and about $500 (?281) more for the four-door model. Standard equipment on the U.S. cars is substantial including high intensity discharge headlamps, in-dash CD-changer with MP3 compatibility, real brushed aluminum trim, sport steering wheel with radio and trip computer controls, power everything and loads more. Sunroof and satellite radio (XM or Sirius) are bundled into Option Package 1 and heated leather top-sport seats, dual-zone electronic climate control, sunroof and satellite radio (XM or Sirius) are part of Option Package 2. DVD-based Navigation system and 18" alloy wheels are both stand-alone options. Expect to see the new GTI two-door arrive in dealers around February with 4-door models due in June."

An ?8000 premium for the privelege of having a RHD UK spec Golf GTI? Come on VW.......

~ Maxie

1 - 20 of 42 Posts