Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to fit 18"x8" BBS CH alloys to my new GTI - do you think its still worth ordering the 18" alloys or stick with the 17" as I plan to sell them on?

Also the phone prep is it really worth it? Can it be removed without leaving holes in the dash?

Matt

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you are 100% putting the CHs on it then don't bother with the 18s.

I wouldn't bother with the phone prep either...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you order factory phone prep make sure they do a cradle for your
phone first,there are lots of phones which don't work with it yet.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Why not order the 18s and then use the tyres for your CH's?? Should work out cheaper.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the phone prep as it's WAY overpriced.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You may aswell save the initial cost of 18's and sell the 17's onb Ebay which is exactly what I did getting ?700 for a set with 5000 miles use as I have seen the 18's go for similar money so not worth the original outlay.

Why not get a Bluetooth carkit? at least you can change the handset along the way without having to pay out for cradles all the time + it will be cheaper. In have the Parrot CK3100 fitted and works perfectly through the head unit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
VW dealers do an aftermarket kit for the MK5 with interchangeable phone holders that doesn't look too bad, I have one fitted in my Demo!

I'll take a pic later on!

Matt

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
aaah - phone prep[:mad:] - the joys. Factory phone prep is plop - it just mutes the stereo when the call comes in. If you have sat-nav, there is a "telephone" button - which does nothing in the UK. Don't bother - it is ?300 of nothingness

What you need to have "full" phone prep ie the active call displayed on the highline computer ( and for the prep to work as per the handbook ) is:

Interface box - part number IKO 035 729D @ ?270.83 + VAT

Cradle - part number IKO 035 705B @ ?87.81 + VAT

This should then display you call, phone book ( as per your SIM ) etc on the highline. I'm having mine fitted on Thursday so will let you know if it works

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

Thanks for all the advice, still not 100% on the wheels, but as for the phone prep its a big NO!

For those with BBS CH wheels in 18" x 8" what size and make of tyres did you go for?

Matt

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have Toyo 225/40 zr 18s T1-S - I used these because I happened to have a set knocking around - only had them on since last Friday - seem to perform as well as my 17" Dunlops

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the VW optional 18" wheels from VW 18" x 7.5" or 18" x 8"?

If they are only 18" x 7.5" will the 225/40 R18 tyres fit a set of BBS CH 18" x 8" OK? Or will I need 225/35s for the BBS CHs?

Matt

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Just to let everyone know that the installation of the new interface box and cradle has been a success. I can now access my phone's memory ( ie the SIM card ) via the highline computer and use the stalk to dial numbers, search the SIM etc etc. The phone prep now works as it should do and details of active calls are displayed on the highline on the dash.

A big big thanks to DaveL for all his help [:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts