Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving through London last night after some romance and a meal with the Misses. Was chatting and also thinking about how many blinking Reflex Silver Golfs there are on the road! (Like me).[B)]

As I was joining the A11 near Liverpool St noticed golf very similar to mine. Reflex Silver with monty 2?s and looking like sport suspension. However, he had mud flaps and a spoiler(why didn?t all GTI?s come with spoilers I ask!!!!-seen more TDI?s with them [:(!]grrrr)

As I pulled up next to him he gave me a look as he had his misses with him. No smile just a look.[xx(]

I let him shoot forward as I had to get behind for the turn off (no racing intended) As we booted through the A11 stopping at Traffic lights I also noticed another thing- He?s was a TDI with all RED Letters ? TDIEIYEEEEEEEEEEE.!!!!! I thought blow me down -no wonder we are pretty level on the short blitzes.

Then the real test began, I got in front of him as we joined the A12 ? think he got caught behind a bus. After this see him booting it (Lights raising - right hand lane). Im in the centre lane. As he gains closer I drop a gear and floor it ? we are level for about five seconds then I move a 2 car lengths and then leave him for DUST!!!!. Couldn?t believe it as I thought we would keep level.

Ok so I think maybe he geared wrong give him a second chance??.

I hold back and wait for matey ? he?s still racing!!! I get into the left lane and undercut a few cars ? left lane clear on three lane duel carriage way and so is right hand lane. See him coming again (we are level doing 50Mph)? gives me a look wile we are side by-side. I drop a gear and so does he??Guess what I leave him again for dust ? I?m not even saying car lengths as I left him standing (Shocking). With a massive gap between us![:D] Slow down and give him a wink with my Hazards ? he passes slowly and keeps looking in bewilderness.

Now either he didn?t know how do drive properly or my car is chipped. And the latter is NOT a fact. - He was definatly booting it!

I was shocked to the fact that I could leave him so wickedly with such a gap!!! Anyway before we start on who used more fuel - this is a point score up for the petrol boys! Also mines a 51 plate and he?s was a 53. Don?t think that would make a difference though as mines on 30K. Hope the storey wasn?t too booring (If your still reading).

·
Registered
907 Posts
Dude A12 is dangerous, loads of POLICE there. LOL!

Perhaps it wasn't a TDI 150, but only badged using all red letters.

Bet it was good fun! I always figured the TDI150 were quicked than a petrol GTI.

·
Registered
131 Posts
must be the driver cos i dont have any problems with petrol 150's...in fact u cant get away ...as im sure the boys will tell u ...who own pd150's..so be careful ..we are out there [:D]waiting to bite back....lol..maybe he was fat ?full tank of fuel makes a big difference cos we dont use as much ..lol...could be anything

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He didnt look fat.....but hes [:D] nah only kidding

But what about all that Torque -

I was on 3/4 full tank. Standard Texaco!

·
Registered
131 Posts
cant believe it ...maybe like they said its not a true 150..cos all the fun i had with the gti's and mainly for a laff and not to race along ...u just cant get away ..not saying we can lick u or u can lick us but simple theres nothing in it ...like for like

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
My 110TDI with tuning box and Milltek cat back pulls away from a 150 petrol GTI on the A33 Swallowfield by-pass between Reading and Basingstoke. I see him about once a month and every month, it's the same story. We hit the dual carriageway at 40 and I slowly pull away leaving him in a cloud of soot!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
A 150PD is more matched to the 180 1.8T.... the 130PD better matched to the 150 1.8T etc...

I had a guy in a 150PD try it on last week and it was very close... i was pulling away slowly but surely, but not by more than a couple of car lengths.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
There would be v.little in it if it was a 150 and he was trying. You certainly wouldn't have pulled out a few car lengths.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I agree with Nik. I've the same car as you (petrol 150) and having driven a PD 130 the PD 150 will be much pokier up to 40ish. Its pretty much neck and neck with the 150s.

Chipped Denzel vs Chipped Petrol would be interesting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also agree with Nik, theres not going to be much in it between the two (as long as driven by equal drivers)

I've got a mate wth a 130pd and we have a regular blast on the way home (on our own private road of course), its close till he has to make the change from 2nd to 3rd, at which point he drops slightly behind and cant make it up.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
it cant of been the real deal, however if he had the female ABS system on board maybe it was.

All i know is I'd have whipped your ass [:D] & after 9th of march i'd have whipped it & kicked it, bring on the remap[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts

A chipped 150PD and a chipped 150 1.8T non-dbw are about equally matched. A dbw 1.8T will be faster as you can get more out of them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Easy fellas!!

Thanks for the replies. Thats why I was shocked as I thought we would be pretty much matched - also gave him a second chance!!!

FlyFs6 - I dont actually work there but its my Dad's!! Give me a shout if your after anything.

Cheers for the input boyS.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I remember the day well Nik when will we lock horns again I wonder.... yes you have nos but will that be enough ??????

Quote: posted by NikB on 16/02/2005 08:25:27

A chipped 150PD and a chipped 150 1.8T non-dbw are about equally matched. A dbw 1.8T will be faster as you can get more out of them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts