Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to get hold of a 1.8T 150ps but I'm not that familiar with them so I would like some advice on the pricing.

I've seen a couple of cars that I am interested in, one is a 52 plate, 65k miles, 5door and its 3,990. The other is a 53 plate, 49k miles, 5 door with recaro leather interior and its on 4,600.

I don't know what I should be paying for them really as they are low mileage and there isn't much else to compare it against. Is 4k a reasonable price or should I be looking to offer lower?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
look around in autotrader, piston heads etc to see what sort of money they are going for, after that its only really your thoughts as to whether certain additions like leather are worth the extra cash being asked.

·
Registered
352 Posts
In a private sale a mate sold his 1.8T but a 180bhp version in excelent condition (6cd changer, climate control, leather etc etc) for 4K with 80k on the clock,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the leather recaro really justify the extra cost?

I was thinking about getting that, swapping it for a normal interior + cash if its worth it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i'd recommend getting the 180bhp gti over the 150bhp, its not just 30bhp there are other changes like a better gearbox and things like that.

and your really the only one who can answer your question mate, a leather interior off ebay could be around £500 but then you've got the hassle of buying an interior, swapping interiors then selling an interior and if the interior you buy includes the arm rest and door cards.

as far as i can see if the condition of the two cars is equal then the more expensive one is the better buy, £600 for leather interior, lower miles and newer reg.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sold my mint Mk4 1.8T AUM on an 03 plate with 60K on for 3600 about 6 months ago

the guy got a bargain as it was fully loaded. It should give you an idea.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I was thinking in the region of 3800, man, golfs hold their value so well, same engined leon is like half the price. Shame its fugly [:D]

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i prefer the looks of the leon personally, in my eyes its the nicest looking car on this platform, its just the insurance that kills them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Insurance actually comes up roughly the same for me, I just prefer the looks of the golf and the fact its a dub cause I'm a bit of a fanboy like that, however it is looking likely to cost me more for being said fanboy.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
lol, when my brother was looking around for his current car a couple years ago a leon cupra(not R) cost more to insure than a mk1 focus RS for some reason!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts