Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi was thinking of part exing my golf 18t for a 150 gt tdi how can you tell if it is a 150 bhp or a 115 or 130 model is there a certain engine code or anything else to look for thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have a look at the data sticker under the boot carpet or on the service book.

It will list the kW rating of the engine and in the line below, the engine code.

The 115 will be coded 85 (for 85 kW) Engine code AJM

The 130 will be coded 96, Engine code ASZ

The 150 will be coded 110, Engine code ARL

·
Registered
346 Posts
The GT TDI should sit about 10mm lower, has a 6cd changer, wooden gearknob, inserts and console display.

Oh and when you put your foot down it goes quicker than the other 2.
Umm there all GT TDI's, and have the lower suspension, 6 cd changer etc. Also the lowered 115/130 can be chipped to just as quick or quicker than the 150.

As above the best way is to check the data sticker under carpet in the boot.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The GT TDI should sit about 10mm lower, has a 6cd changer, wooden gearknob, inserts and console display.

Umm there all GT TDI's, and have the lower suspension, 6 cd changer etc. Also the lowered 115/130 can be chipped to just as quick or quicker than the 150.

As above the best way is to check the data sticker under carpet in the boot.
As said the boot sticker/sticker inside the handbook is the best way to be sure.

But the 150 is the only GT TDI to have lower sport suspension as standard and sits on 16" wheels. The 110/115/130 don't and sit on 15s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine don't have a CD changer either! Glad tho, will be putting an I-pod adapter in it's place. It's a VAG part too.

Think most 150 models have "nice" wooden dash trim! some are also badged as GTI. It will be listed on the Log book as to what model it is.

I think the 16" wheels were an option not standard equipment.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My 150 didn't come with a CD changer, just single slot. All 150s came with 16" Montreal IIs as far as i'm aware, and were badged as GTI (although as said in numerous other threads, these are quite often changed!). Again, the engine cover SHOULD have a TDI badge

Whats this VAG ipod adapter? i'd be interested to see one of those!

[Y]

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
There's a load of confusion over this. I'll try and clear up some of it that I know of. 150 bhp TDI are NOT all GT or GTI TDIs, I know a guy with a standard trim one and saw another in a scrap yard about 2 weeks before xmas with nothing else but normal badges (All red and has never changed) and a leather interior and a single cd player (optional). By the way - a GTI TDI are the anniversary tdi versions and are quite rare, and some are only known by the car legal docs, insurance, and boot sticker because a lot of dealers just bring them in and stick a set of any old rims on for the showroom. The rims are again dependant on your options.

Baz

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

AFAIK the GT spec (2.0 'GTi' TDi 110, 115, 130) have stiffer suspension (not lower). It certainly feels firmer than SE spec, but the stiffer and lowered suspension is reserved for the 1.8T GTi and the TDi GTi 150.

'03 saw a spec change with TDi 150 getting climate and ESP. As stated the car build sticker under the boot will identify between a 150.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
GT TDIs are 'Highline' spec which means the suspension is probably the same as the SE. It's possible though that it may have had sports suspension fitted as many dealers ordered that spec for their stock, others may have had the sports springs fitted as a dealer option. It's an urban/forum myth (check out the countless threads on this subject) that the GT TDIs have sports/lowered suspension as std - except of course for the 150s (Both GT TDI and Anniversary) which do have sports/lowered suspension as std, UNLESS it's an import 150 which means it may be Highline spec too...... pauses for breath - the ONLY way to tell is on the build sticker (boot and service book) and check the option codes.

DO NOT rely on the log book as many of these show anomalies against spec (and most were filled in by dealer admin muppets anyway so they just put down on the reg doc what they thought it should be).

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
that's it - the 150s are on sports suspension (like the GLI Jetta in america). Roughly a 13mm drop.

Baz

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There's a load of confusion over this. I'll try and clear up some of it that I know of. 150 bhp TDI are NOT all GT or GTI TDIs, I know a guy with a standard trim one and saw another in a scrap yard about 2 weeks before xmas with nothing else but normal badges (All red and has never changed) and a leather interior and a single cd player (optional). By the way - a GTI TDI are the anniversary tdi versions and are quite rare, and some are only known by the car legal docs, insurance, and boot sticker because a lot of dealers just bring them in and stick a set of any old rims on for the showroom. The rims are again dependant on your options.

Baz
Yes there was a Anni 150PD which was a totally different car to the regular 150PD Golfs. But you must admit that a large proportion of the 150TDIs were badged as GTIs whether this was at the factory or more likely or not by UK dealers/VW UK.

The rims on a 150PD were always 16" Monty IIs. As for the 150PDs that you have seen in standard spec, they must be as rare as hen's teeth. I don't know of anyone on here that has one, and have never seen one in looking through classified's/Autotrader web.

As you're from Ireland maybe they were European spec cars that came through from the South?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts

Baz
Yes there was a Anni 150PD which was a totally different car to the regular 150PD Golfs. But you must admit that a large proportion of the 150TDIs were badged as GTIs whether this was at the factory or more likely or not by UK dealers/VW UK.

The rims on a 150PD were always 16" Monty IIs. As for the 150PDs that you have seen in standard spec, they must be as rare as hen's teeth. I don't know of anyone on here that has one, and have never seen one in looking through classified's/Autotrader web.

As you're from Ireland maybe they were European spec cars that came through from the South?
Sorry I should rephrase that a bit and explain myself - I meant standard badges and exterior, I think they have sport seats and 3 spokie steering wheel and stuff like that. As we all know, trim specs on TDIs are a complete nonsense because of the vast number of options and engines available, not to mention the number of times the badges have been changed and the number of dealers who just order whatever spec and trim they want. I've only ever seen about 3 150bhp TDI Boras and funny enough saw them all within one week last year in the summer.

Baz

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
hi was thinking of part exing my golf 18t for a 150 gt tdi how can you tell if it is a 150 bhp or a 115 or 130 model is there a certain engine code or anything else to look for thanks
I would seriously consider the old Leon TDi 150. The chassis is much better set up (but ok its no Focus) and I think as an overall package its a better car. Ok, you miss out on some of the VW special touches. Also the Leons have different engine maps to Golfs - I guess they are sportier.

I know the 130 SE has standard sports suspension and I think the 150 is Cupra spec, with 17s and a body kit. Perhaps you could argue it doesn't have the kudos or the style.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts