Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into the possibility of getting a MK5 GT TDi 140 with alot of the toys like leather and sat nav etc through work, just wondering what peoples thoughts and opinions are of this car? ie colour, extras to look out for and running costs and all that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The 2.0 TDI is a great car. It is quick, revs well to the red line (for
a diesel), fairly economical (should be able to get 45mpg+ but I get
35ish [:p]), handles really well (better in stock form than the mk IV
imo) with little roll. It isnt very cheap to insure (well I found this
anyway) and the longlife/fixed/variable/lunar/solar service settings
may drive you insane but overall the car is easy to live with. To be
honest, so long as you dont get a 'friday afternooner', you can't
really go wrong.

Options wise, leather and satnav are nice but quite expensive. I think
that the satnav definitely looks good in the car but from my experience
is little better than a tom tom in day to day use and for that reason
makes it hard for me to justify the expense. If the sound system
offered with satnav was a harmon kardon or bose I may have had a
different opinion. Colour wise, I have steel grey and feel (like most
people feel about their colours) that it looks really nice and if I
could order again (which I didnt in the first place), I would go steel
grey again.

There is another thread on GTIs (as well as a million others) which
discusses the pros/cons of the various options but off my head, I would
have to have:

-armrest, even if you dont physically use it for apperance + the air vents for rear passengers

-highline computer because its cheap ([:p])

-xenons (if you can afford it) - make the car look a lot more special imo

(if it's a GTI though - you NEED 18s)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Looking into the possibility of getting a MK5 GT TDi 140 with alot of the toys like leather and sat nav etc through work, just wondering what peoples thoughts and opinions are of this car? ie colour, extras to look out for and running costs and all that.
Great car but you may as well just flush your cash down the toilet if you go for leather and sat-nav in an upper midrange model such as this. Also it will shortly be 'downgraded' to what it really is: a 2.0 TDI Sport, once the real GT comes out in a few months time (see my thread called 'Sports model spec changes').

·
Registered
272 Posts
As a business car user my self, I have driven various diesel cars over the last year or so (Vectra, Focus, Avensis, Passat) and when it came to renew over Christmas, I went for the Golf GT TDI.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

This car really is different to those other rep-mobiles and has bags of power for the relatively light car. Admittedly, it doesn?t look as business-like as the larger family cars but you should be spending your time driving it, not looking at it!<o:p></o:p>

Anyways, the power and torque are unbelievable in the 140 PS 2.0 TDI and I would highly recommend that you test drive one. Keep an eye on the speedo though.. on my test drive I glanced down to find I was cruising at 85 mph on a quiet A-road without realising! The sales guy didn?t mention it though.<o:p></o:p>

Also have a look at the new 2.2 litre diesel Toyota Avensis. It pulls about 150 Bhp and looks a lot more expensive than it is. The D4D T3S includes satnav, air con etc and the new Toyotas are of a top build quality (yes, even better than my new Golf!)<o:p></o:p>

When choosing your options... if it is a taxable company car, you will have to pay a percentage (depending on CO2 emissions) of the TOTAL list price of the car INCLUDING EXTRAS. So even choosing a ?300 metallic paint as an extra will mean you will end up paying more tax every month for the privilege. So you might regret adding ?3k or ?4k of extras (sat nav, leather) when you look at your pay packet!<o:p></o:p>

Good luck! <o:p></o:p>

Matt.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well mine not a company car, I bought it myself and have to say apart form not being used to the diesel experience as of yet, I love mine

The last car I drove and wanted to take the long way home and drive just for the sake of it, was a Audi A3T sport., In fact I stepped out of a BMC 318Ci to buy my GT TDi

The engines torque sold it for me, together with great seats and a slick gear change.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>I looked at A3 diesel sports ,but couldn?t justify the extra ?2.5k, nor did I like the interior as much as the Golf, thought it was a bit dated.

.I do agree with previous comment regarding leather and sat nav adding to your weekly/monthly rapping from the taxman, but hey, if you can afford go for it.

<o:p> </o:p>Mines steel grey and I love the way the light changes the colour especially in on sunny days, I also think Laser blue looks stunning.

<o:p> </o:p>I bought a used example, but if I were specking new I?d have

<o:p> </o:p>

3 Doors

17? wheels

Centre armrest

Xenon?s

Cruise Control

Duel Zone Climate (as I understand this has been replaced by AC on new cars now.)

<o:p> </o:p>

As said before, test drive a GT Tdi, but take your wallet, you?ll need a deposit .

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
popular colours are black and steel grey...the extras i have are sat nav, factory phone install, lux pack 1, winter pack, parking sensors, sunroof, pearl paint and 17" indiannopolis alloys which brought the list price to over ?23K when new BUT i only pay less than ?120 per month in company car tax . I just couldn't get all that spec for that taxation when I was looking. Considering my old ( 2000 X plate ) 318i SE was costing over ?200 per month, the Golf is a bargain with much better performance and spec.

Bear in mind that since Jan 01 2006, this is no 3% discount of EuroIV diesels so you'll be looking at 20% tax til April, then 21%. This increase in taxation will have an impact on sales of diesels so you ( or your employer ) should be able to haggle for a good discount if buying outright.

Good luck - its a hoot. And IF you get one, make sure there's a bottle opener in the storage compartment between the front seats. Most go missing and so your cup holders are rendered useless

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just to confirm... should ALL MK5s have a bottle opener? I have mainly heard people talking about them in the same sentance as central arm rests (which I dont have).

in my central unit, I have holders for 2 large cups and a central holder that holds a redbull can. Should this central bit be plugged up with a bottle opener?

Can I buy one from the stealers? Any idea how much? (the car was bought down south by my company and I doubt they would chase such a thing)

Cheers, Matt.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Just to confirm... should ALL MK5s have a bottle opener? I have mainly heard people talking about them in the same sentance as central arm rests (which I dont have).

in my central unit, I have holders for 2 large cups and a central holder that holds a redbull can. Should this central bit be plugged up with a bottle opener?

Can I buy one from the stealers? Any idea how much? (the car was bought down south by my company and I doubt they would chase such a thing)

Cheers, Matt.
No. The opener slides in guides which you don't have without the armrest.

Check out this picture on this page

http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Volkswagen/Golf%20-%20GTI%20-%20Rabbit/Golf%20V/Interior%20-%20EU#

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ahhh.. gotcha. I can see how the drinks would fallover without it in that design.

AGHHHH>>> I wish I has a slide to cover the central storage compartment (as in photo/arm rest configuration)

I have no covers at all in my MK5 GT-TDI. In my old car I could turn my phone on silent and leave it in the central section and close the lid. Now I can not leave anything without it being on full show. What a crappy design. For me, this small detail is the worst thing on my car at the moment.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
What a crappy design. For me, this small detail is the worst thing on my car at the moment.
I agree Matt, this is the most annoying missing thing on my car, the ?115 armrest (or rather armrest, covered central bottle holder, bottle opener, rear cup holders and rear ventilation outlets - as that is what you get for the ?115). It not being there really lets down the interior and I would much rather have it than cruise control which costs twice as much and is never used. I only have the first owner to blame though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Now I can not leave anything without it being on full show. What a crappy design. For me, this small detail is the worst thing on my car at the moment.
What about the small lidded compartment underneath and to the right of the steering wheel? You could store your phone in there!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Now I can not leave anything without it being on full show. What a crappy design. For me, this small detail is the worst thing on my car at the moment.
What about the small lidded compartment underneath and to the right of the steering wheel? You could store your phone in there!
I'm thinking of lining mine when I can find a suitable material as things rattle in mine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went from a 270bhp S3 to the Golf and i can say the Golf is as much fun to drive as the S3 for sure,

Ive now had a remap to 185bhp and the car is going really well :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I went from a 270bhp S3 to the Golf and i can say the Golf is as much fun to drive as the S3 for sure,

Ive now had a remap to 185bhp and the car is going really well :D
Rob

How much torque and at what revs?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Car was done by Emaps we have them do are remaps at work, very good,

They have done all Z8s, RS6s, A4 TDi's etc for ourselves,

The Map was taken from a company in Germany as most are and downloaded onto the ECU, the car was not tested on the rolling road so no exact figures im afraid.

At first we put abit too much power and torque into the car, around 195bhp and big amount of Torque,

If the car was going around 45-50mph in 6th and you put your foot down the car would shake alittle due to the torque levels, (not sure if anyone else has had this problem) not that i drive 45mph in 6th much,

We have tammed the map down so the Torque is not so Harsh and the car is fine now really pulls well in 3rd and 4th.the Bhp is now around 185bhp, we could have put bigger figures in 200bhp+ but it all depends how long you want your car to last i guess.

Rob

·
Registered
272 Posts
===

===

Thanks man! I still havent gone through the manual yet, but that little compartment will come in REAL useful! Nice one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts