Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just ordered my new toy. I have searched around the board for some help, but struggled to find anything.

Could anyone let me know what the recommended "Running in" period is for the 2.0 D engine?

Many thanks

Flash[H]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I cant remember what it says, but there is a note in the handbook about
running in. It specifies how many revs/speed for the first few K and
then for a few K afterwards. Wish I had bothered to read the book
before going out in mine. I accidently had it bouncing off the rev
limiter once or twice as i got used to driving the diesel from a petrol.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
When I picked up my PD150 they said not to go above 3k revs for the first 1500km, what he didnt tell me was that 3k =100mph [:p]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rightly or wrongly I adopted the "drive it like you stole it" method of running in. Most people will tell you that the trick is not to let the engine labour at all. Keep it spinning free and all should be OK.

Regards

KeithM

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
agree with KeithM. Have adopted the "gotta be there yesterday" technique with mine. 1000 miles in 10 days and flying like a kite !

·
Registered
261 Posts
I 'loosely' followed what was in the manual, don't think u can go wrong with that, though I have read some really barmy ways of running them in (on here)!

Had mine for 17 days now and done just over 1000 miles and she goings great!

Oh the manuals says something like (and annoyingly its in kms) don't drive it at more than x% of max revs and max speed for the first 1000km and then don't drive it at more than x% of max revs and max speed up to 1500km.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Rightly or wrongly I adopted the "drive it like you stole it" method of running in. Most people will tell you that the trick is not to let the engine labour at all. Keep it spinning free and all should be OK.
Exactly how I broke mine in

·
Registered
558 Posts
I tend to follow the two tanks of fuel without putting the engine under stress rule.  Booting it upto 3k rpm won't do it any good, better to use all the revs but very steadily and progressively.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
With my present diesel (focus) I didn't go above 2k for the first 500 miles 3k until 1000 miles and then after that I drove it to the redline and chipped it when it had 10,000 on the clock

·
Registered
25 Posts
Worst thing you can do with a diesel is nurse them too much'. Take it easy for the first 1000-2000k's (don't go above 3000 rpm) then drive it like you are going to use it, plenty of loading to bed the rings in otherwise you will end up with an oil burner. Also dont forget these things have a variable vane turbo so when the engine is warm it is probably best to take the revs up to 3000 or so to excercise the vanes,don't want to soot them up and loose movement or it will run like a ford.[ip]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I second Aussie's advice. There is a lot of continual discussion on the dieselcar forum about this.

The general rule of thumb seems to be run it in as the handbook suggests and after this period drive it was u want to occasionally taking it to the redline (after its warm ofourse!!) and in every day driving don't granny it too much.

My car was using a lot of oil when I got it (17,000) now it uses a lot less (29,000) - I think its propperly bedded in now. Maybe the previous owner didn't drive it hard enough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for all the opinions!

Am hoping to pick the motor up next Tuesday. I am in a PCH scheme, so I don't really need to worry too much about the long term condition of the car - I give it back in 2 years.

With regards to the "running in" - I have just moved to within a mile of work - so it is going to take me forever to reach 1000k's. There is also the option of .... cough cough ..... walking - but if I see even the slightest chance of [st] [um] [li] then that is a no no.

·
Registered
689 Posts
- I have just moved to within a mile of work - so it is going to take me forever to reach 1000k's. There is also the option of .... cough cough ..... walking - but if I see even the slightest chance of [st] [um] [li] then that is a no no.
Get off your ass[:cool:]

Your car will never get warmed up never mind run in, driving two journeys like this every day will do it more harm than good.

Oh..... and buy an umbrella[um][:D]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Cheers for all the opinions!

Am hoping to pick the motor up next Tuesday. I am in a PCH scheme, so I don't really need to worry too much about the long term condition of the car - I give it back in 2 years.

With regards to the "running in" - I have just moved to within a mile of work - so it is going to take me forever to reach 1000k's. There is also the option of .... cough cough ..... walking - but if I see even the slightest chance of [st] [um] [li] then that is a no no.
lol, i'm in the same boat as you, thats when I'm working out of the office, however when i do go out of town, I usually rack up the miles.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
All I did with mine was not take it over 100mph for the first 1K.

Didn't rag it either but certainly took it past 2K.WTF!!! [:|]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, will let you know how I go about it is being delivered tomorrow morning!

3 Dr, 2.0 GT TDI, Diamond Black.......... can't wait - my first ever NEW car! [<:eek:)][H]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts