Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn...

So close to Christmas as well!
Thought it was the turbo initially but had my mechanic strip it down. Not a drop of oil was in around the engine. Basically its a heap and I need a new one.
Car is 60,000 miles bought in 2003.....have I any come back with VW. Car wasn't serviced by them....refuse to pay the prices.??
How did the oil get so low and no engine warning lights at all.? Just gave up.
Anyone had a similar expereince?
Help needed....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should not have to manually check the oil level in any car.? Especially in a modern one and a VW.? Thats what servicing is for and Engine warning lights.? Fat lot of use they were.
The ECU should warn you if the oil is low.
My V6 Clio MK1 bought in 2002 even does that....
Fixing it, selling it and never buying a VW from a VW dealer again...
This shouldn't happen to a three year old car with 60000 miles on it by forgetting to look at the oil.
I mean come on....really.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You should not have to manually check the oil level in any car. Especially in a modern one and a VW. Thats what servicing is for and Engine warning lights. Fat lot of use they were.

The ECU should warn you if the oil is low.

My V6 Clio MK1 bought in 2002 even does that....

Fixing it, selling it and never buying a VW from a VW dealer again...

This shouldn't happen to a three year old car with 60000 miles on it by forgetting to look at the oil.

I mean come on....really.
Sorry but that is rubbish! Have you ever read your handbook that came with the car? It states about having to check the oil regularly and topping it up! As it does in every car you buy! Whether a car is 1 week old or 10 years old you should always check the oil level on a regular basis. Also diesel engines tend to use more oil than petrol engine hence why most people who value or look after thier car check it once a week!

I am suprised however that the oil light didnt come on, they usually do when the oil is low or has low pressure.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well look what your ignorance of not checking your oil level came to. Im not having ago but people rely on technology too much

Yeah theres no excuse for the oil pressure light / level light not working, but people are daft with cars nowadays. "oh ill take it to the garage when the little light comes on the dash" "my car is perfect, theres no warning lights on" Seen it all before

I think maybe if you can prove your sensors wernt working you may have a case.

Will be intresting to see what happens. Keep us updated. [y]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that patronising repsonse.

I won't be going anywhere near VW thanks...
I refuse to pay the service costs at ?75 an hour plus parts + VAT.
And I'm not having them waste my time stripping the engine apart to tell me what my mechanic has already discovered in about 30 seconds.
I have found a new engine with 37,000 miles on the clock for ?800.
Bargain.
And a lot cheaper than going through VW which isn't an option anyway.
The old engine will be sold be parts - turbo is fine. Shoudl get me ?500 at least and then the old gearbox another ?300.
Cost nowt then after all.
Will I be checking the oil more often? No.? I'm selling up after its fixed.? Evo 7 with 560BHP here we come. My diesel days are over....?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry to hear about wrecked engine but come on, it's a diesel (aka oil burner).

Anyway if you don't check the oil in an Evo 7 regularly you are asking for trouble. They are notorious for drinking it rapidly, if abused at all when new.

Unless that is, you figure the 5000miles oil change schedule will mean that you won't need to.

Or could it be that a 2.0 with 560 bhp won't use much oil.

[;)]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I think your whole attitude is pathetic.

Whether it is diesel or petrol you need an engine running with the correct amount of oil.... fair enough if you want a 560bhp car but when your con rods smash through your block at 8000rpm , i will just laugh. Its your money at the end of the day, and if you cant afford service costs then bless you when you need your performance engine stripping... yknow the usual checks. If you are running that bhp its best to check things out. Guess you`ll skip that... it dosnt matter.

So tell me, whats your problem about trying to claim some money back off VW?

What exactly has happened to your old engine in detail? as im sure your mechanic would know everything. Dosnt sound right, suspect turbo gone but the engines got no oil in [^o)]

That engine btw is a good price, have you seen / hearding it running? some mungrol couldve starved that one with oil too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that...but my Golf didn't need checking as it was checked by my mechanic every 6 months and had a complete oil change every 6 months.? Since the last service (about a month ago) something has happened to cause all the oil to drain completely hence destroying al the moving parts in the engine. Con rods/Rocker cover you name it. No warning is very strange but heh its happened so whats the point of moaning about it.
And I will be atking care of my new EVO (well East Coast Customs who built it and own the quickest EVO in the UK - 9.98 at 155mph quarter mile, will service it) as its slightly more fun than a Golf GTTDi.??
See, thing is I didn't really care for the Golf. Its just a practical family car. I did nothing to it. Why? Whats the point? Waste of money? ?The V6 is my pride and Joy and the EVO no doubt will follow on from that with even more power, performance and speed....I like performance cars, somehting that look s good etc. The Golf isn't that...unless you're into MAX POWER...and Halfords and fibreglass and stuff...
So, yes don't worry yourself. The EVO wil be treated with kid gloves....he he.
Gold engine is knackered. Turbo is fine. (Buyers?) Starved of oil for dear knows how long with no warning signs....
Guess I was trying to keep up with my V6 to often he he....like these guys (happened at the lights the other day):?

VW will not do anything so I won't even try. I didn't service it with them and its out of warranty if their was even a warranty in tact to use.
And yes ?800 is a good deal.. My mechanic knows the breakers well and got ?200 of what it would have cost. Its been tested and is fine...
Even my V6 checks the oil automatically every time I turn the engine on and warns me what level it is at.? And that a 5 year old car....cheez, what happened to VW?
I'm not bothered as I get my car fixed this tuesday with a lower mileage engine with no problems and get to sel of the old engine parts on the bay....savage.
And then get to sell the car and wave bye bye and hope the next owner has as many problems as me....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Christ... your a helpful bunch. Kick you when your down. Wouldn't like to be a beggar in a back street with one of you fast approcahing...
I can blame whoever or whatever I want.? It should not be that easy to wreck an engine in this modern age.
And don't worry that ?800 is easily made back...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Christ... your a helpful bunch. Kick you when your down. Wouldn't like to be a beggar in a back street with one of you fast approcahing...
Hold on, i thought you were the ignorant one...Not listening to our advice. I suggest you go cruizing in your v6 and cream your pants when girls in a `playboy`d` peugeot eye up your "cool car"

[y] Good luck with your Evo.....you`ll need it

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
It seems that someone is getting slated for not checking there oil!!!!

what can i say

IT?S YOUR OWN FAULT MATE

my motor has never used a a drop of oil since i converted it but that does not stop me checking it EVERY DAY!!!

sounds like a man who just cant be botherd

"Don?t worry dear the little light will come on when it wants something"

WRONG

an expensive mistake most will not allow if you ask me

an an EVO with over 500 BHP, hope your local TYRE dealer gives you good discount LOL by the end of next year you could have shares in continental.

After running a 650 BHP skyline for all those years "how i love my golf"

YES they have there problems BUT! NEVER AND I SAY NEVER have i blown an engind due to LOW OIL

sorry if the truth is hard mate but is is how it is

Andy

·
Registered
47 Posts
ive not been on this forum for long.....but i have been a mechanic for several years - mainly building very high performance engines - mainly cosworth units - often 500 BHP +, but also building toatally standard engines for everything from a mini, to a V12 BMW !!!!!

i used to check my cossie EVERY time i drove it, im talking about EVERY morning - regardless of if i was in a rush, or if it was ten below !!!!! i also used to check my antifreeze with a float every day !!!

i even check my 306 gti every day

and i check my gt-tdi every week - on a sunday afternoon....at the same time i check all the fluid levels, i test up the antifreeze, rain X the windscreen, check the tyre pressures, tread depth - then take it for a 9 mile test drive.....the same as i have done with all my cars since the day i could drive.

Befrore anyone asks, im 22. im not a old fart, but i DO look after my car properly. the important things.

in my opinion, engines don't just blow up by themselves....ive seen hundreds of engines that have blown up through miss-use - or through miss-care...im talking about constant hammering from cold, no oil, no anti-freeze - ive even seen the indrestructable 2.0 I-VTEC honda unit blow up - Rod through the block, guess what - his ecu told me that it blew up at nearly 12,000 RPM - a snapped gear s elector meant it changed into 2nd instead of 4th.....

Back to the topic......

You did not check the oil

Guilty as charged.

im not having a go at you - just learn from the mistake....everyone makes them - its what you do about them that counts !!!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
From what i have read so far i don't think it would matter what car you drive, the moral of the story would still be the same....

........Use the Dipstick and don't be one !

[:p]

Jay

EDIT:- * sarcasm*

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
LOL even for 22 he knows his stuff LOL

After driving and taking care of a 70 tone V12 ROLLS ROYCE 1300 BHP TWIN TURBO CHALANGER TANK a V6 is a walk in the park lol

when it is -25 and the metal is so cold you cant touch it with bare skin and the TURBO?S glow white with heat and the oil is so hot it can take your skin off you hand, TRUST me when you are looking after a 2,000,000 pound bit of kit with yout signature under it YOU KNOW THAT YOU LOOK AT THE OIL PRESURE AND CHECK THE OIL

Every time you stop you fill the rear drive with grease and do a HOT running check becaus when you have 10 tones of engine and gearbox to change in -25 it is no fuc+ing fun SO YOU LEARN TO LOOK AFTER IT!!!!!!!!!

mechnical failiure due to the operator not paying attention is worth the 800 quid and should be taken as a sign of warning

IF YOU DONT RESPECT YOUR CAR THEN DONT ASK IT TO RESPECT YOU!!!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts