Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GT TDI 130 bhp with 76k on the clock. Had it about 3 months now. It has fairly good service history, and was last serviced in February (65k) with the fuel filter / oil filter / oil change etc all done.

I was under the impression that these cars produce good mpg figures, even if you have a heavy right foot. I only get 32 mpg on average over a tankful and about 330-350 miles, surely this can't be right?

I do quite a few short runs that only just get it up to temperature, but after speaking to a senior VW technician he seems to think that this wouldn't make that much of a difference. He also said it should be returning at least 40-45 mpg when driven hard.

Can anyone help? Could a sensor be causing it to use more fuel? It does seems fairly smokey when flooring it hard? HELP!!!!! [:'(]

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've got the 150pd at the moment, and a heavy right foot, and get about
450 miles to a tank, so i reckon something is definately not right with
yours.....

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I used to do long journies in mine to work and could get anything upto 60mpg on a 40 mile cruise to work.

Recently started at a new place which is just up the road and the average from my last tank was 38.

32 does sound a bit low, but not unreasonable.

Have you tried it on any runs ?

Also don't upset at getting only 32, a petrol would probably only get 15 in the same circumstances !

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have the same car with the same milage...

before the re-map ans wheel mod I was getting about 530 miles on a tank, 50-55 mpg easy.

now with the mods it has dropped but I still get a good 480+ out of a tank.

Dont know whats causing you problems but you definately have something wrong.

I know the performance drops like a stone when the maf sensor goes but I am not sure if it would drop the mpg too!

Is your car leaking deasel all over the road?... you might have an oil slick behind you!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have tried it on a few runs, but still does not seem good.

On a cruise up to ED38 this year I think my mates chipped GTI turbo did better mpg! But I had just bought the car and did keep flooring it! But still [:S]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Whats the average on setting #2 of the computer ? That takes the average over 10k.

My remapped 150 returns +/- 520mile to the tank, last tank went to 585 as it was mostly m'ways.

Maybe worth getting a vagcom reading done.............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I think there is definitely something wrong.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

No oil slicks!! I wish it was that simple, although there can be quite a strong smell of (burnt) diesel when pulling up with the windows down sometimes.<o:p></o:p>

I am hoping it is just a sensor that needs changing or something nice and simple like that.<o:p></o:p>

I have had no luck with this car, the clutch master cylinder went last month, break light switch on the pedal needed changing, and recently the boot sensor has become corroded after the washer jet leaking inside the boot lid causing the alarm to go off all the time, it is now disconnected!!<o:p></o:p>

Plus the heated seats don't work, and one of the windows clunks when it is winding down!!<o:p></o:p>

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! [:mad:]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the #2 setting which I base it on, re-set it every tankfull.

I know I do short runs as I only live 2 miles from home, but still!!

Does anyone recommend anyware in the south east/kent that would be a good place to get it hooked up on vagcom?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I don't think it's far out if your only doing 2 mile runs.

My MAF slowly died and that did indeed knock both performance and economy so it might be worth a try.

Note: the MAF won't usually throw any fault codes, what you'd have to do is log some runs and look at the graph actual vs expected for air flow (quite tricky)

A MAF exchange from VW is about ?80, changed mine in the car park and it was like being re-mapped.

But I don't think you'll see that much of an improvement given your length of journey.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think that the 2 mile runs are damaging the car in any way?

Think I will get it diagnosed + it will have a service soon also.

I am not after an improvement on the length of journey I do, I just want the car to run correctly.

On a 8.5 mile journey one morning last week I averaged 25 mpg!! Rubbish!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having the same problem, although mines abit higher on average, around 36mpg on setting 2.Rarely get more than 400 miles to a tank, and i dont drive fast all the time either?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also have the 130 and recently got 63mpg around town and avearge 45+ on the motorway. I get about 535+ mile on full tank depending on how it is driven. The car has 125k on the clock.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 115 GT TDi (6 gears) gets about 46mpg on my 30 mile journey to/from work in the mornings/evenings.

I have never got it to read above 52mpg like some people have though. :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to get around 55 mpg but since having my cambelt and clutch changed (3 days ago) and a full service I am now only getting 38 mpg..... struggle to get it over 40 mpg. I dont think its my Maf as I only replaced this 6 weeks ago. [:(]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im only getting 41.4 MPG on the #2 from about 6K miles on my PD100.
Thats from a lot of motorway driving so I've a feeling its a bit
low...! Even if I drive at 66 mph on the motorway I struggle to get the
53 MPG its supposed to get on the combined.

Its well annoying.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Morning Team!

Sorry to be that person to dig up an old thread but i had a search through old posts as this is the exact problem im having (same engine) and cant seem to find any pointers, im hoping after the great help the forum gave me on my lowering question there maybe someone out there that can help me with this.

Im pretty sure its not the MAF (as far as i know... but i dont know a lot!) as a mate has vagcom and we hooked it up and took gave the car a blast the other week to get some readings and i think im right in saying it was tested for air intake which it was always giving more than it required - hope thats correct and makes sense!?

Basically im getting terrible mpg around town, better on a run but still can only just manage high 40's and when idling in traffic it drops like a stone - over a 3 mile trip to work it averages 32mpg - any ideas on what could be causing this? or tips to help it out? cleaing egr would that help? Im so new to all this im gratefull for any advice - dont know if itll help but its serviced regulary, last time 8000 miles ago and i had the temp sensor replaced about 18 months ago

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
482 Posts
i also was getting very poor MPG from my 130 had mine scanned and need to change temp sensor fuel temp sensor MAF sensor and i had to clean the EGR valve out mine was full of crap and causing the valve to stick cleaning this has made a big difference to how the car drives and check your tyre pressures when was the car last serviced boost leaks also efect MPG

i used to get about 30 MPG around town before i now get 42 around town

1 - 20 of 24 Posts