Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

GT TDi MPG, is this right?

6K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  STATEOFTRANCE 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 115PD GT TDi, however after a conversation with the seller she informed me that on her drive from Burmingham to London the other day she got an average MPG of 43! Now being the smallest BHP model I was thinking it would be better than that - is this normal for a good motorway run... Maybe that was the average MPG of the whole tank? What MPG is everyone else getting on there 115/ 130GT TDI's?Or could there be something wrong... Like the handbrake maybe!

#7 ·
I got a 4 year old GT TDI 130 last week. So far I have done 200 miles
and am averaging 49MPG. That said thathas been a lot of town
driving and very little motorway miles. Going on a wee jaunt to
England for a few days next week and would imagine to be looking at 55+

#8 ·
My overall average since owning the car is 44mpg...when looking at journey figures ...can see as low as 38 to over 55. Remember these computers are only a gauge.
So her figure of 43-mpg average is more than likely correct ... She must have a heavy right foot then!
Heavy right foot aint always a bad thing with diesels..along as your on an open road... i regulary do a 135mile trip from Wolves to London...around 90 on the motorway and seem to get about 43+....id say its fine...at the end of the day all it needs is a traffic jam where its idleing for a bit to rapidly bring your mpg figures down.

#10 ·
I am now getting ~50 mpg from my Golf (1.9 TDI) so 600 miles a tank, a big improvement over my old Golf (1.9 D) which used to only get about 40mpg. I think once in a while these like the heavy foot (in my case most days [:D]) I mainly do short journeys in it so thats not bad at all. It improves when I go to Leeds or something.

#16 ·
I've found its all about how you drive it.

On my way into work usually last minute so 85+ all the way over a 26 mile journey I get 46-48 mpg

On the way home in no rush I normally cruise at 70 and get 54-56 mpg

Also diesels are just as rubbish as any other car if your doing short journeys all the time, you'll get no real benefit from having a diesel if these are the types of journeys you do.

As stated above the larger powered engines tend to be more economical when crusiing as they dont have to try as hard, same principle with remapping giving better mpg.

My average mpg over the last 26k (with remap) is 52mpg according to the computer that is. Generally getting just over 500 miles to a tank before the light comes on.

#23 ·
Well the 90/115 bhp diesels are less efficient than the PD 130/150's, so although you'd think less power means using less fuel then in this case you'd be wrong. The lowest so far on my 130 I've done is 46 and best being 56 mpg so far. I don't rely on the guage but instead I compare the fuel I put in to the miles I've done, so at least you can get a more accurate measurement of what you'd down.

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.