Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was examining the engine a little closer to normal and noticed that my GT TDI 110 intercooler to inlet manifold pipe is quite restrictive and was wondering if there was a samco/silicone hose alternative to increase air flow as I am unable to find one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess this has not been done before....................going to have a bash at uprating the hoses and I will get back to you!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having a go at the weekend with this one.

Got a stainless steel 60mm exhaust pipe that is hanging about in the garage and will chop it up and use a 90 degree rubber hose from a local supplier to join them all up.

Will take pics and let you all know!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did this and what a difference............I also cleaned the inlet body and manifold as it was caked with crap 5mm thick all the way round. Will post pics soon!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are no sensors in my pipe that when I took the lot apart! [:D]

The restriction from the original plastic pipe was quite a lot [:O] as it narrowed from 60mm to about 20mm and then to 50mm. It now has a trimmed 1.8T intercooler pipe (S shape and cost ?2 from a scrapy) that joins onto a peiece of stainless steel 54mm bore pipe that has a 45 degree bend (free as its been in garage for ever), which then joins to the original rubber inlet body hose to finish it all off.

This and the cleaning of the inlet body on the manifold made a noticable improvement. She smoked for about 5 miles when driven after mods as I think the ECU was used to supplying more diesel prior to the restrictions being taken until it adjusted itself............now she hardly smokes, even if pushed hard and the extra torque and top end increase is great. Going to clean the inlet body every 3 or so months to keep on top of it.

NEXT: Clean out the sludge from the intercooler

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That pipe Richy_50pence is the lower intercooler pipe that is also next on my mod list...........if only the weather was warmer!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I had a quick look at mine - couldn't see a sensor. I might have a chat with a local fabricator - see if they could bend a pipe to fit

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers guys...........pics a little poor as I was using my mobile phone camera.

There were no companies offering hoses for the TDI in this area and after I had done a similar thing using Samco on my previous S3 (SEM's now) I loved the improvement and really wanted to squeeze as much power out of the engine [:D]

I really recommend this and also the cleaning of the inlet body while half of the system is dismantled as I had about 5/6mm of gunk all the way round mine [:O] once I detached it from the manifold. (took a couple of hours of cleaning though [:(]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Has anyone done similar on the TDI130? would it be much the same with gunk on the pipes?? if it is, it would be worth my while get it cleaned off!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts