Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

after a quick VAG-com check I have glow plug errors on all 4 cylinders. Not currently affecting performance too badly, motor starts first time ok even with the -10 weather we had recently, but it is noticable that it struggles.

Just wondered if theres a way to test what the root cause is? Whether its the plugs, the leads, the controller etc? I assume I'll have to do a resistance check on each glow plug? Can you pull them out with the power connected and see if they glow on start up? Are there ways to check the controller?

Seems unusual to me that all 4 would generate an error? Car is a 2005 with 27k miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, once the car is warm and up to temperature, there is a slight lump / stutter / missed beat you can feel slightly once the car is stationary. Car runs smooth and with no loss of power, however has this occasional lump on warm idle.

Again, thanks for any advice.

Steve.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think your car's doing quite well if it was OK at -10, mine had a moment the first time I started it after being out in that temperature, but if you are on the original battery I would have put it down that being a bit tried rather than the plugs.

Maybe I'm wrong but ASFAIK the glow plugs are only active for starting, and play no part in the normal running of a diesel so I don't think they should be causing the lumpy running.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply mate, yeah you're right about the plugs only being used to warm the cylinders on startup, but it is definately a glow plug issue as I have 4 errors with VAG-COM on each cylinder. I'm concerned because its not normal to have an error on every cylinder. Just wondered if there was a way to physically test the plugs / wiring / controller etc.

Battery is ok.

As for lumpy running, I'm sure this is a separate issue as it happens when the car is up to temperature (90 degrees) and it has the odd missed beat when idling.

Steve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a superb write up! Should help me no end! Don't suppose you have a similar link to a test procedure for the gttdi engine? My plugs are under the rocker cover I think???

Thanks again.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yes your plugs are under the rocker cover, if you take it off you will need a new gasket (at £25)

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry i know this post is old now but did you find out what the lumpy running was sound like mine is doind the same and would like to get it sorted!

any help would be good help at this stage!!!![:cool:]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, no one ever came back to me with what was causing the lumpy idle so I've never got to the bottom of it.

Now its warmer the glo plug issue isn't bothering me, so when I get chance over the summer I'll investigate it and hopefully sort it.

The idle thing though I don't know what to do. I even went to the expense of having a full long life service and cambelt change done so I was working from a clean slate. No idea though as it didn't change anything.

I'm assuming it must be a MAF issue or Lambda issue? Feels like something to do with fueling anyway? I've been through various fuel treatments with no change also.

If anyone hears anything on what it might be, please, let me know!!!

Cheers.

Steve.

·
Registered
129 Posts
when you say 'lumpy idle' does it sound like the engine itself is lumpy or does the whole car 'vibrate' 'judder' be 'lumpy'... could potentially be a DMF issue...more likely, although given the mileage, it would have to have been driven very strangely!

I had lumpy idle on my 1.9PD and it turned out to be a leaky injector, log into ENGINE, into MEASURING BLOCKS and read measuring block 013 (i think its 13 anyway, the one for injector pressures, and report back with the values for each injector, goes without saying the engine needs to be running though!

good luck :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.