Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at buying a GT TDi. I originally had a budget of ?6k, but increased it to ?7k in hope of getting a decent 130 bhp car. Hoping for a 02/52 plate car with about 60k - 70 miles.

I have just been to see a 115 bhp car with 111000 miles on it. The guy seemed really genuine and the car was in really good condition and drove really well, although I was not sure about the lutch, but then again that may be me as I am used to driving petrol cars.

The car is advertised for under ?6k. I want to keep the Golf I buy for at least 4 years. What do people think, should I seriously consider the 115bhp car with 111000 miles or wait and get a 130 for the extra money.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
It obviously depends on how many miles you, how hands on your prepared to be etc etc.

I would not count milage as a consideration, certainly don't let it put you off, the TDI's do the miles, of more importance is how 'striaght' the car is. Also obviously look for history or a bundle of receipts.

The only things that really go on them are normal service items with the following niggly bits :-

MAF sensor can cause loss of power but easily fixed.

Suspension bushes let go and will need replacing at anywhere between 60-100k. (saying that most cars these days are the same and I would say suspension bushes are now a service item.)

Other than that they are rock solid.

I've got a PD115 and must say I'd go for a 130 now as it can be mapped from 130bhp to 180-190 no problem at all compared the max 150bhp the 115 can be mapped to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think this is the first decent car I have come across, but I haven't been looking for that long so I think I will hol out for a 130 bhp.

I will keep in mind what you have said in my search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to go for the 130bhp. Going to the auction (VW financial service are going o be there) on Tuesday to see what I can find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi i am selling 55plate bora highline 130bhp all leather 4 months old 3,300miles bought new uk car not import looking for 10,500 got to be cheapest in country first to see will buy garanteed.2years 8months warranty variable service 20,000miles

·
Registered
472 Posts
i went to one of those vwfs auctions and saw a bora 130/150 tdi go through at under 7k but golfs were too much

·
Registered
936 Posts
I bought my '02 TDI 130 in November 2005 (bout 4 months ago) and got it for ?7k, black, 5dr, 80k, full VW service history. Found it thru autotrader.co.uk (dont bother with the magazine, just sign-up and you can narrow your search to 130, plus not all car appear in the mag, some are website only), was a private seller with links to the trade. Think you should have no problems finding a good example, I personally viewed 4 car, some with higher milage but there tend to be alot of fleet car coming up now as they're generally renewed after 3 years. Good luck with the hunt!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mate has a company lease car; Jan 2003/52 Met Black 130TDI 5 Door with 70K and full VWSH. I considered buying it to sell on;(Good spec; climate, esp, rare sports suspension option) until Lease company said they wanted ?7800 for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to the auction yesterday. There were a lot of golf's but the only decent ones were 3 door and I am after a 5 door.

There was one that I was interested in but it got withdrawn from the auction, and when I enquired why, I was told the company who brought it to the auction had sold it at their garage.

So still on the hunt. I have upped my budget to ?8k to try and get a lower mileage one.

Matt747, your mates car sounds like a good buy. Do you think it is overpriced if you were buying it for yourself?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wanted to ask, is it true that digital climate control was standard on all gt tdi's from 2002 onwards?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just wanted to ask, is it true that digital climate control was standard on all gt tdi's from 2002 onwards?
I think climate control and ESP were standard on GT models from May 2002.

My previous PD130 (march 2002) didn't have either of these.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Went to the auction yesterday. There were a lot of golf's but the only decent ones were 3 door and I am after a 5 door.

There was one that I was interested in but it got withdrawn from the auction, and when I enquired why, I was told the company who brought it to the auction had sold it at their garage.

So still on the hunt. I have upped my budget to ?8k to try and get a lower mileage one.

Matt747, your mates car sounds like a good buy. Do you think it is overpriced if you were buying it for yourself?
No; if I was buying it to keep then I think the price is ok. It certainly goes well; little different from my old 150tdi. I would guess the spec is quite rare; it's got the standard 15" Avus 2 wheels but the sports suspension as fitted on 150tdi. This was a ?150 option which I doubt many people went for which is surprising as it improves the handling significantly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to try and get a may 2002 onward model as it would be nice to have digital climate control.

Got a few lined up to go and view this weekend. Found a 52 plate with 65000 miles. The guy is asking for ?7995. Only problem is it has the blue interior and I would prefer the dark interior. But I haven't seen the blue interior up close so will decide after seeing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My other half's brother is selling a 52 plate 130. Full service history, 5 door, cruise, digital climate, auto sense wipers, auto dip rear view mirror etc etc. He'd advertised it for 9,500 up north but i'm confident you could get it for 8,500 if it is going to an enthusiast-he's gutted to be selling it. Well worth every penny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts