Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a stock 140 ps TDI, with around 1800 miles, thinking of an upgrade in power!

What if any mileage should the car have covered before i consider a remap etc?

Which of the many available upgrades should i opt for?

Would appreciate any feedback good or bad?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
There's no right or wrong with regards to mileage covered - some go for it straight from the factory - others like the engine to settle in a bit first. Mine was done at 7k by Superchips and I have only good things to say about them - but they are my only experience.

Research Revo, Superchips, RSD, custom-code, Jabbasport etc etc

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What about the hoses?? My hose split on my150, the new one looks slightly more beefed up and mines in stock tune!

Are the hoses on the mk v up to the job - I notice yours is 180 so you should know!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
no problems with the hoses - mine's been done for 7 months & 11000 miles
VW Racing use standard hoses on their race cars in the VW Cup. No problems apparently. Tuned to higher levels of boost than you would want on a road remap with a standard turbo. [:D]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
is the standard turbo only good for 200bhp, James ?
Yes I think that's really the nub of it.

As you know, the PD140 with a straight remap returns about 185-190 bhp with good driveability and no smoke issues.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

From my experience with the PD150 I would say that to provide the levels of boost necessary to go higher than this with a standard turbo will break it. Mapping of a standard turbo with higher boost risks over-spinning the compressor wheel on spool-up which causes the tips of the vanes to shear off and destroy the turbo. I have a new <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>VNT</st1:stockticker>17 in my shed, 50 miles on the odometer and a right old mess of metal viewable inside!

<o:p> </o:p>

A hybrid turbo is hand built to better tolerances so can handle higher boost, but its characteristics (larger compressor wheel) develop more power higher in the rev range, so boost can be fed in gradually and then build to a higher level without over-spinning. The torque curve is fatter/broader but we were deliberately conservative with the initial boost. I am sure there is more power and torque available now that reliability has been proven. Currently around 220bhp and the car feels like it wants more.

<o:p> </o:p>

I know from discussions with Superchips that the PD140 injectors have more fuelling flow potential than the PD130/150 ones and also you have the benefit of the better top-end breathing of the 16v head. With a hybrid turbo it should be possible to take it a decent amount higher than I currently have as this is proven from the VW Racing cars.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
This thread interests me not for remapping my 150 - for me its fast enough!!

However, I'm interested as I would be interested in buying a 140 and would like to know that it would handle a re-map to ~ 180bhp.

What about the clutch and gearbox - are they up to scratch, I know that tuned 150TDi's are suffering from clutch slip. Also, I'm guessing the chassis can handle the extra performance? I've never driven a Mk V GT.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
no problems at all with mine - no clutch slip. My brakes are OK - the ones on today's loaner at better but thats possibly due to mine being on 19K & the original brakes & the loaner having less than 1/2 of that

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
no problems at all with mine - no clutch slip. My brakes are OK - the ones on today's loaner at better but thats possibly due to mine being on 19K & the original brakes & the loaner having less than 1/2 of that
Thats good news!!

I think my next car will be a 140 remapped. I've had a lot of stupid ('common faults') on my 150 and my faith in VW is slightly on the wane.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
[off_topic_rant]
What's really annoying me is that I can't believe I am considering selling my mk iv because its unreliable.

Thinking about it Damian I've read about the problems u've had with your car
in the past, perhaps u've had more than most and u've been unlucky.

Do I risk buying a MK V Golf, the Golf I drive is an 8 design years old they must have improved all around? But from reading on here I would be worried that it too will have expensive niggles like my current Golf. I'd estimate the reliabilty is average at best.

I'm considering defecting to the Japanese market with my next car. I know plenty of people with Japanese cars and they don't have embarrassing problems (pulsing fans and the 'fixed' ones aparently rn't even fixed!)
[\off_topic_rant]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your responses, however my question still remains a little unanswered.

Many of the members on the forum have a GT TDI, what i would like answered from any or all the members is the following.

Would you without question upgrade with a remap your stock 140ps diesel or would you have left the car standard, what i am trying to avoid is wasting time and money on a remap and the decide to revert back to the standard settings, What would be ideal is a s electable remap that could be switched depending upon the driving conditions, ie standard around town and boosted on motorway etc.

Thanks for all the replys so far!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I would recommend a re-map...without hesitation. When I drive a standard car, it is nowhere near as responsive, fun etc etc. I still get excellent mpg - on Sunday, I drove back from the BBT meet at near 3 figure speeds and still got 42.7mpg average over 50 miles. I went out in the evening for a 20 mile drive ( 50% motorway where I really ragged the car ) - still got over 40 mpg

Personally, i don't see the point of reverting back to "standard" for town driving but its your choice - if thats what you want then Revo is the way to go

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Totally agree with Damian. What is the point in paying to remap a car for higher performance and then not want to use it? Just becuase there is more power there potentially it doesnt mean to say you have to rag it around everywhere.

A remapped car driven sensibly should return better fuel consumption as you generally use less throttle to achieve the same result as a standard car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The switchable Revo map on my A3 2.0TDi can be set to std - 138bhp, Stage 1- 188bhp or Stage 2 - 203bhp, I normally leave it on Stage 1 as the Stage 2 setting only gets 45mpg max, whereas std and Stage1 return about 50-55mpg.

So in answer to your original question: YES!!!

But I would say that wouldn't I?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Judging by the responses it would seem foolish not to go for a remap, the problem i now have is s electing the most suitable, 'Revo' , 'Superchips' or other.

Most of my driving is considered town or urban with the odd spells of motorway, i would like something suitable for around town but also suitable for a bit blast on the motorway etc, this Revo remap sounds the best with the various s electable stages, any negative feedback relatin to this product?

i have added a photo of the car so far, still a few mods to do:

Posted Image

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes,

But why not a tuning box? I bought one via the recent group buy from garfie and it is great, very good increase in power, no smoke, much faster pickup on acceleration, very reasonable price - much less than a chip, and removeable at anytime if you want to revert back - like when you get your flywheel recall ;-).

I had an APR chip on my previous Mk IV 150 up to ~180/190 BHP and did 70K miles on it no problems with the chip or engine or hoses, just the usual fan failures on the car. The tuning box on the 140 GT TDI is more refined, maybe this is the Mk V motor? But still gives a big pick up in responsiveness and a big lift in mid range performance, doesn't feel quiet as "whoa" or wild as my old chipped Mk IV did when it came on boost but far better bang for buck and easy removal has convinced me it is the way to go :)

HTH

John

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ive heard that you can get a didgital tuning box for the MKV TD, you can even adjust to settings from in the car. very cool. I think Awesome are starting to do them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts