Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard that the small bhp diesels use more fuel than the higher bhp models! although the figures state the tdi 90 bhp can acheive like 55 mpg and the 150bhp 52 mpg! so??? im confused? i want a diesel! do u get a tdi 115 cos there cheaper and insurance is cheaper or wait for a 130!

what sort of re-mapp can a 115 have? eg max bhp and torque??? is there economy good eg 53mpg???

sorry for all the q's but im wanting more power and economy than i get from my 1.6

115 gt 130 gt 150 gt

Town mpg 40.439.839.2
Out of Town mpg 64.262.8

Average mpg 53.352.352.3

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You change your mind so much its unbelievable.

Id imagine they all average roughly the same mpg...nothing extreme between the 3. It depends how you want to drive it. Chucking up figures proves nothing.

Im getting my 115 remapped next week, apparently will add approx 42bhp and tons of torque.

115`s are the cheapest and id imagine you`d pay a few grand ontop of a 115 to get 130/150 as they were made later....

Im happy with my 115 now...cant wait to push it over 150+

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think my decision is final now! so how much is that re-mapp costing? torque is the best! im asuming that will improve your mpg!

i'd drive it pretty steady! no red line etc maybe push it a bit! nothing major! 70 on motorway

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kool! i will prob get a tdi early next year then re-mapp it around october time next year! think they only go up2 a y plate!

still whatever i get i will be keping it for a long time!

·
Registered
346 Posts
LOL this must be the 100th post you have made about a tdi. Anyway my 115 was great when i bought it(previous car was 1.6) torque was fantastic and 6 gears is great. Then i got it remaped to around 150 bhp and 385 nm/250ft/lb ish torque. I have to say my craving for power has gone lol because my car is loaded with it. So any diesel turbo will be a good investiment for both mpg and power tuning.

Although goldgolf1.6 you seem more obsessed with mpg over power and if you are worried about cost you can get great mpg from the lesser tdis, which will be both cheaper on insurance and car value. Remember the gt tdi spec cars are more expensive and the 115 gt tdi is insurance group 10-12, the 90 is 5 i think?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know people keep moaning at me about my posts about tdis, fuel mpg etc etc!

i want a gt spec because i dont want to have to go thru the bother of colout coding etc! 115 gt is 200 extra on insurance! will book sum test drives soonish and see what there like!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Christ, £200 extra?! Im paying £280 full comp for my GT TDi 115.

Have to say, its a great car and ive been very impressed with it. Power wise, it could do with a bit more, its noticably not as quick as a GT TDI 130 which I drove, but is noticably quicker than a 306 Tdi/Hdi which only have 90bhp. But, fuel consumption is unbelieveably good. so far it averages 55->65mpg on a 90mile round trip depending on whether i put my foot down or drive like a grannie. Thats the average consumption over the entire journey which includes some motorway driving & some town driving.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats very good mpg there, i mainly drive like a granny, but im never in a hurry so its ok but i do wish for more power than a 1.6 so i think the 115 with a re-mapp will suit me fine

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Mines ace now ive had the remap. Tons more power. noticed better mpg figures on the obc, but i dont know how accurate they are. Will have to get my notepad and calculator out and work mpg manually.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Think hard about what you want to do with it, and I don't just mean re-mapping. The 115 has 280mm brake which means if you want to upgrade then you have to change the whole hub. The 130 has 288mm brakes which means the TT 312mm conversion is a very simple bolt on job.

Real world economy on a 115 is around 44mpg and a 130 is very similar, of course on a forum such as this you'll find there are many who will dispute it....[;)]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Think hard about what you want to do with it, and I don't just mean re-mapping. The 115 has 280mm brake which means if you want to upgrade then you have to change the whole hub. The 130 has 288mm brakes which means the TT 312mm conversion is a very simple bolt on job.

Real world economy on a 115 is around 44mpg and a 130 is very similar, of course on a forum such as this you'll find there are many who will dispute it....[;)]
Interesting to know about the brakes! Im beginning to think maybe I should have just forked out 2k extra and bought a 130.

Economy wise, its all down to how you drive it and your daily journey. Just to give my GT 115`s fuel figures some comparison against what i get out of other cars - this last 6 months ive spent several months driving a brand new 1.4 polo which was giving me 42mpg, a nearly new 1.6 FSI golf which gave me 34mpg and a nearly new 1.9 TDI 100 golf which gave me 45mpg. I thrashed the living daylights out of all of them whenever possible - and i mean really really abused them. But, a lot of my journey also was just crusing at 50 or 90mph which helped bring the figures up.

I havent really abused the GT 115 yet, hense the fuel economy figures are a lot higher. ;)

One common thing ive noticed, is using ECON mode on the air-con added about 3->5mpg more to the economy!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
....One common thing ive noticed, is using ECON mode on the air-con added about 3->5mpg more to the economy!
That's 'cos ECON on the climate switches it off! It's not much of an economy when you have to pay out £600 for a new compressor because it's failed due to not being used.......[;)]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
....One common thing ive noticed, is using ECON mode on the air-con added about 3->5mpg more to the economy!
That's 'cos ECON on the climate switches it off! It's not much of an economy when you have to pay out £600 for a new compressor because it's failed due to not being used.......[;)]
i use my compressor on every return trip home from work now, and even when winter sets in i shall get my wooly hat out and have air con running. should be nice

·
Registered
530 Posts
well im fairly new to this forum and driving vw's, i have a GT TDI 115 2001 and love it to bits, the fuel economy is excellent, the best i have got was 55MPG, i would recommend getting one, and i had the added bonus of buying one which had a sat nav system in it, well the older MCD one and a nokia car kit, over here in NI insurance is bloody stupid, im 25 due for renewal in october with 4 Yr NCB and im being quoted around 600 Fully Comp!

i have driven a 130 and there is a bit of difference, not a hell of a lot though, if it boils down to £££ get a 115 and chip it, though im keeping mine as standard as possible, hope this info is of some use to you and good luck with your car hunting, whats for you, will not go past you!

noel

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah it has to be a 115 due to funds, im considering buying privatly and perchasing a warranty for it. im planning to run it well off the clock and run it into the ground. so im look for a Y reg with upto 60ish k on the clock. preferably with cambelt done for one at that milage

i have seen a few with 40ish on the clock going about for decent prices

·
Registered
530 Posts
well as a guide price, i paid £5300 for my 2001 GT TDI 115 with 85K miles, mint condition! 5 door with sat nav

i was looking for about 4-5 months before i found a good one, though im in NI, you will have more choice being on the Mainland.

good luck

Noel

·
Registered
72 Posts
well as a guide price, i paid £5300 for my 2001 GT TDI 115 with 85K miles, mint condition! 5 door with sat nav

i was looking for about 4-5 months before i found a good one, though im in NI, you will have more choice being on the Mainland.

good luck

Noel
Not bad, i paid £5500 for the same car but the 3 door version. Same mileage. No Sat Nav, but nearly every other optional extra you could get.

Oh... got 67.7mpg average on way home last night. Kept it at 65mph all the way home from work, serious grand-dad driving, didnt floor it once. Also, just filled the car up, the trip computer said id averaged 55mpg over 565miles. I filled it to the brim, then worked out actual fuel consumption and that also worked out at 55mpg, to the trip computer seems reasonably accurate.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my trip computer is spot on.

its amzing the difference driving at 70 compared with driving at 60 can have on mpg. im talking a good 5mpg over my 16miles trips

1 - 20 of 25 Posts