Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

GT 170 Diesel - update

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  MarkyMarkV 
#1 ·
Our German cousins already have the GT 170 (see below link)

On calling a couple of dealers, one indicated that the first ones would be likely to be hitting the UK mid March - they recon they might have brochures in Jan.

The Sun (for all its worth) has the GT down for UK launch in Jan, which corresponds to my dealer saying that we would take my money in January - but there again he would, wouldnt he?

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/de3/modelle/golf/golf0/ausstattungslinien/golf_gt.html#

Additionally, the EURO price for a German supplied car comes out at ?17150. So I guess around 18k here?

#7 ·
The liklihood is that they will have a similar policy with the new GT as they do with the current Sportline range and offer 4-mo in both petrol and oil burning version, hopefully they will go one step further and embrace the R32 concept and offer DSG as an option too (currently  the GT 4-mo is only available with manual transmission).

#8 ·
I spoke with VW Hull today about the GT 170 TDi. They said to expect it in June. In their opinion, it would either come with 4Motion from day 1 if it was ever to be available.

However they also said that as there would "never be a GTi with 4Motion because it would cannibalise sales from the R32, it is possible that VW would also choose not to fit the 170 with 4Motion for the same reasons". Personally I don't ever see the GT TDi being touted by anyone other than the most blinkered torque theorists as a viable competitor to the GTi, but there you go.

#9 ·
VW has always said that there will never be a four wheel drive GTI as the car has always been FWD since day one and is now part of the cars character. It would be like BMW making the M3 front wheel drive.

In the past, whenever they've done a AWD varient its always taken on a new name. There was the Golf Rallye (loved that car), the Golf G60 Limited Edition (rare as hens teeth), the R32's, the 4motions and the syncros.

Its inevitable that one day the GTI will be powered by a fuel other than petrol due to the world oil supplies etc etc but whether that means it will be diesel, electric or hydrogen is anyones guess. Having said that, I know that mazda are working on high revving diesels so who knows.

#14 ·
The seat Altea with the 170 tdi engine is in AutoCar. They liked the engine!! Apparently its using Piezo electric injectors (I think HDi common rail engines use this). But looking at the cutaway I (think) I can still see the injectors driven off the cam (like PD injectors). Is this the next step for PD engines, a kind of PD Piezo hybrid?

The article said The Golf would get the same engine in May.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.