Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[rant]

Had a secnd interveiw with a company on Tuesday, after being narrowed down to 3. Found out I didnt get the job not because i wasn't qualified/experienced, far from it, turns out it was because I was too nervous. I mean wtf course I was a little I want the job, the job was only 2nd 3rd line support so not exactly a high demanding role.

It was strange setup too, all 3 member of the panel were wearing jeans and and very casual and typed away on their laptops as I spoke which is off putting in itself.

As it happens none of the 3 interviewees got the job so they have to start over again.

[/rant]

Is it worth me fighting the decision or should i just say well i dont want to work for you if you are going to be so petty!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Why would you want to re-apply? I dont understand.

They dont need to give you a reason for not giving you the job but sometimes they might just "think" of one to make you "feel better".

And as you said the 3 interviewers were very unprofessional surely you would rather want to work for a company that shows a little respect....

Mate look on the bright side, the next job interview will pay more, and have better working enviroment!

Fate and Karma!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Curley, i appreciate you comment. I think you are right, even if they have a casual work environment, I feel interviews should be formal.

maybe I should now just move on, like you say there are bigger and better jobs out there.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Mate - There is nowt you can do about it. It is the employers choice to hire whoever they want. If all candidates never got the job it could be that none of the candidates had exactly what the employer wanted. Looking at it from the employers point of view, we have people coming to us for jobs and will say anything to get the job. We have grown wise to this as we have lost a fair few staff members after a short while as the job was not for them. This is not good for our company but experience and knowledge has helped us pick those who would be good from those would not be suitable.

The only way you would have a leg to stand on is if you are part of a special group i.e. A different race/religion/sex/disabled from the interviewers or other applicants but you would not have got that far if that was the case most likely.

Sorry to hear about this by the way. I recall my struggle to find a job when I was fresh out of Uni. Hopefully something good will be just around the corner for you!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I find most interviewers are BS merchants, this lot were obviously trying to intimidate you rather than finding out if you're any good at your job. When you're good at your job and enjoy it, you will be full of confidence and this will reflect in customer feedback. Walk away and find something more worthy. When you "click" with the interviewer, the job's as good as yours [Y]

·
Registered
674 Posts
I find most interviewers are BS merchants, this lot were obviously trying to intimidate you rather than finding out if you're any good at your job. When you're good at your job and enjoy it, you will be full of confidence and this will reflect in customer feedback. Walk away and find something more worthy. When you "click" with the interviewer, the job's as good as yours [Y]
Great comment that shiuming mate!

I did alot of interviews in my days at a rather large IT Distributor and always tried to make the person I was talking to relaxed. Admittidly I did do some training courses on interview techniques and this included using open questions for open answers etc. In sales you are always looking for that something different to the norm (I should know, I can talk to anybody in person or on the phone like Ive known them for years) and in a relaxed interview you can find out more about the person. If its not to be, then its not to be....

SHOW ME THE MONEY! (Ive always wanted to say that in an interview!)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

I did alot of interviews in my days at a rather large IT Distributor and always tried to make the person I was talking to relaxed. Admittidly I did do some training courses on interview techniques and this included using open questions for open answers etc.
Explain.. please ! [:D]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I know a girl who has just got a new job

Its only about £4k a year as its part time for a few hours on most evenings.

But she went through 3 interviews, including a role play one and one with a senior manager.

All for a £4k a year job that is basically admin. I would have laughed and told them to stick it!

·
Registered
674 Posts

I did alot of interviews in my days at a rather large IT Distributor and always tried to make the person I was talking to relaxed. Admittidly I did do some training courses on interview techniques and this included using open questions for open answers etc.
Explain.. please ! [:D]
You really want me to explain what an open question is? (that being a closed question for a clue)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I was in your same situation a few months ago. I found a lot of precious information on the internet, can't remember any specific websites though.

But basically what you have to know is that nowadays most inverviewers adopt a "behavioural approach", which is generally considered the best way for determining whether you possess the required competencies for a job.

For this type of interviews, you will have to demonstrate that you have those skills (be them technical, social etc) by talking about past professional or social experiences where you had to make use of such skills.

For example, the interviewer could ask you something along the lines of: "tell me a time when you had to collaborate with people you didn't go along with" etc. This is the sort of open question that CoolCurly refers to.

Browse the web for behavioural (or behavioral as the americans spell it) interviews, situational interviews, etc. You will find lots of sample behavioural questions, there are about a dozen that come up regularly and those are the ones used by interviewers. It is important that you think about those questions and come up with situations that fit with what is asked.

Do not learn "sample answers" by heart, these wil get you nowhere! And also try not to make your answers too unbelievable lol.

So to sum it up: think of some situations that demonstrate your efficient use of your technical, communication, organisation, leadership etc skills, be confident but not too cocky, make lots of eye contact, be polite and friendly and not too stuck up, and make sure you know what the company does/what the job entails!!!

Oh, and it's also good to send a brief letter/email 1-2 days after the interview, thanking the company/interviewer for the opportunity and saying that you are at their disposal should they need further info etc

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In terms of the interview itself, that went well, i had some questions like "give me an example of when you...." "can you tell me about how you would approach.." etc. these i answered as well as i could. What my point is is that can the company/interview panel make a decision based on whether i was nervous or not. They have said i was the best of the 3 they interviewed and had the skills they were looking for..

Just doesn't seem like a real reason.

I've got used to the idea now and cant really be arsed with them if they are so picky, i mean if they are lookng for traits like that in the interview what would they expect from you when you are working.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
What kind of job was it? Was it customer facing? Are you expected to give presentations, chalk and talk etc in front of customers other internal departments etc?

If the answer is yes to any of them that would possibly explain why they typed away. For example I am expected to do the above, I need to be able to cope with distrations when giving presnetations as a customer will more than likely be making notes. I am also expected to be able to take questions whilst white boarding technical diagrams without loosing my train of thought.

Why would you expect the interviewers to be suited and booted to give an interview? If they don't operate a smart dress policy why would they dress up? they are not the ones being interviewed...

Passing an interview is not only about having the correct qualifications/skills and giving the correct answer to some questions... You also need to fit within the existing organisatin. Perhaps they used the nervous comment to be kind? It could just be your face didn't fit?

J.

·
Registered
148 Posts
But basically what you have to know is that nowadays most inverviewers adopt a "behavioural approach", which is generally considered the best way for determining whether you possess the required competencies for a job.
I have seen this "behavioural approach" in two of my interviews, they seem to use it for team and customer situations, got asked similar questions in both my interviews over the last two days, I think with IT support roles it is important that you are good at both of these as being nervous in roles such as these they may think you will crumb with pressure and not handle the screaming users and may tell the users where to go..

I got both the jobs I went for interviews for not that it will make you feel better but I did turn down the higher pay one which was £6k more and sort regretting now.[:'(]

They are both contracting jobs, you should try contracting it's the best way of find good companies to work for as it does look like you can't stick to one job, I got really fed up with work for a lot of companies which just do not show you enough respect as sometimes when all it takes sometimes a thank you after a tough day as it makes you feel that they know you have had a hard day and appreciate your work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wasn't that fussed that I didn't get the job, just not impressed with the feedback-especially as I wasn't overly nervous and had impressed one member of the panel in the first interview with my "personality" as well as skills.

In two interviews over the past few months, they said that if it
were "face fitting" I'd have got the job, I just didn't score top top
in the grading of the answers.This time they said I was fine on the
answers, but too nervous? I'd prefer to know the real reason
and not some excuse to make me "feel better".

I have been looking for an IT support role since January, as I am finding my current role boring and also I wish to move closer to family.

I got offered a job in January too. I turned it down, as I never had any intention of living where that job was... I was using it for practice.

I agree that the behavioural approach definitely seems to be favoured (had 2 other interviews between the first and the latest).

Unfortunately contracting is out of the question as I am the sole breadwinner-the mortgage needs paying etc etc (my wife is ill, so selling and renting aren't options either)

Anyone want an IT guy? or a CAD guy? LOL or someone who likes golfs and mountainbiking? I'm not asking for much money ;)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Our Human Remains (HR) department have a barrage of daft questions like those above and they truly see themselves as superior to every living being in the company short of VP's and Directors. And yes they are a/holes.

We have technical interviews moreso now to see how well an engineer will perform in a "situation". Questions like "give me an example of when you x,y,z....." are an open invitation for all the bullsh*tters to gain points over the real technical people. I would love to know how a question like that will determine if Edward the Engineer will manage to terminate ST ends on to fibre cable at the end of an oil rig in force 10 rain storms when the rig is on down time of $250,000 a day with 3 guys watching him, or installing/repairing a sensor/computer etc etc.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Basically you got the interview so you had the skills / qualifications. All the actual interview achieves is to let them know if they like you and if you would fit in. For whatever reason, you didn't. Maybe nerves, maybe they just didn't like you. Whatever. Just learn from it and move on. The next one will be better.

"Whats for you, won't go by you!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts