Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right.

The saga of the MFD G continues......

I've got it all installed properly, with the phatnoise in the boot.

My antenna for the GPS is on the beam behind the glovebox, and getting a constant 5-8 sats.....so no issues there.

the "red button" thats for the GALA signal is cheekily poking out into the drivers footwell via a small gap that i found when installing.

My issues is this.....

no matter if i press the button, the refresh rate is still shockinly rubbish. when i'm zoomed to 0.1m i have to travel about 50% of the screen in distance, sometimes more, before the satnav updates!

pulses were set to 8, though i did try 45 again....no difference.....

i eliminated the "red button" being faulty, as i took itout, and simply connected the to spade connectors together on sems advice to see if that worked....no difference.

i've tried the "automatic" and "direction of travel" settings for the alingment, still nothing.

so whats happening?

why is my satnav SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far behind the movement of the car?

no way am i using it for navigation purposes at the moment cos i'll of driven past about three turnings before the screen updates with where i ACTUALLY am. luckily i have a tomtom to get me about when needed.

so why aint my satnav updating properly? or is the rubbish refresh rate normal?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi mate,

I had pretty much the same issues with mine when first installed, my problems turned out to be the pulse setting which as you have said you have tried in both of the 'preffered' settings of 8 & 45. you have good satellite pickup (mine works fine with as little as 2 sats..) so it wouls seem to point to the GALA signal imo...

Even though you have tried shorting out the GALA switch, have you confirmed the correct operation of the GALA signal?, just wondering whether you have a problem with the loom/no GALA signal to the MFD which will give the fault you describe, i turned up the GALA volume to max in the settings and went for a drive with the switch in both positions to determine the correct one for GALA signal....

Once i had that sorted, i checked pulses were set to 8, went for a good 20 minute drive (during which the nav was still 'lagging') to calibrate the unit and it worked a treat [:)]

Also there is a setting to input the rolling circumference of your tyres, although i think the MFD will work this out on its own when calibrated, give the above a whirl and see how you go or try a post on www.vwnavi.com..

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Sounds like a dodgy plug and play lead to me.....

You really need a multimeter to start checking connections on the lead.

These leads are made by hand so they might have hooked up the GALA wire incorrectly.

Turn your GALA setting up to max, then go for a 90mph blast on the motorway with some music playing.

The audio volume should increase with speed.

If it doesn't, then there is something definately wrong with the GALA signal.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right, so to "eliminate" the gala signal, i simply set the GALA VOLUME  to the highest setting yeah? anything else i need to tweak?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Setting GALA to 'max' on the radio will confirm that the signal is there and the function works. However, there are two GALA signals to the MFD, one is used for the radio speed sensitive function, the other is taken to pin5 of the 26 way connector to update the sat nav. To confirm that the wiring harness is correct, check for continuity between the following pins: Pin 5 on the 26 way connector and Pin 1 of the 8 way power connector.

You will find that these should be connected together with the switch in one position and disconnected in the other. I suspect they may not be connected at all in your harness.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I also think that it sounds like a GALA issue, mine (in both the 4mo
& party bus) don't suffer with any refresh rate issues and update
very quickly.

Could it be that now your revo'd you're travelling faster than the satellites can track you?[:D]lol

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, cranked the "GALA VOLUME" to full..........

but left the "CHANGE" bit a few notches up.......is that ok?

NO CHANGE IN VOLUME OF THE PHATNOISE OR RADIO WHEN TRAVELLING WITH THE NAVI SCREEN DISPLAYING..........thats a bad thing aint it?..................

so now what?

HELP!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont have an old GAMMA unit........when i bought my car 16 months ago, it had a pioneer HU in it. So i replaced that with a kenny one which looked cool but blocked my climate control due to flip down facsia, now i have the MFD G......

?

·
Registered
44 Posts
it may pay to trace the wiring of your plug and play adapter, see if the GALA wires are connected correctly. As mentioned before, these adapters are made by hand and people do make mistakes

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so pin 5 on the 26pin goes to pin 1 on the 8pin.....

without looking, i'm guessing the 26pin is the "lockdown" one, and the 8 pin is..?

anything else that needs checking?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This is REALLY Annoying now!

Pin 1 of the 8 pin on my plug and play loom HAS the wire, pin 5 of the 26 pin one has a wire......

HOWEVER!!!.......

the 8 pin BLACK connector ATTACHED TO THE CAR......does NOT have a wire going to pin one!!!!

but it DOES have a wire going to pin 5.......but the PNP loom DOES NOT have a wire in pin 5's hole.......

the wire in pin 5 coming from the car runs to silver "capsule" type thing on the right hand side of the MFD cage, near the cluster......

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't worry about the PnP loom not having a wire in pin 5.

However your car should have a wire in pin1. What year is it? Looks like you're going to have to get the speed signal somewhere else, which SHOULD solve your problem. You can try tapping it off the instrument cluster.

Refer to the vwnavi FAQ's, http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/forums/showthread.php?t=1131&highlight=FAQ, especially 'How to install MFD into Golf/Jetta/Bora with Double-Din' where they tap the speed signal from the instrument cluster. perhaps you can try the ABS unit too?

All the best!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its a 2001 AUM GTI.......

there is nothing in pin 1........but there is in pin 5.........on the CAR.

on the LOOM, nothing in pin 5, but is in pin 1......

the wire on the car gonig to pin 5 comes from a silver "capsule"..........

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hi essex been following this for a while now, have you managed to solve the prob yet? been wanting to get an mfd unit but aint too sure on the differences and if the nav is really that slow is it worth it?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NOPE still not sorted.

might think about getting satnavsystems to sort it, but thats ?100.

VW wont touch it, but have recommended a guy they use for aftersales stuff, so going to see what he says tomorrow.

its not MEANT to be that slow.....mine just aint getting the VITAL GALA signal through.

without the GALA signal, the MFD G thinks the car isn't moving, so it not even trying to update the satnav image. it just updates when the sats refresh.

the differences between the D version and the one i have the G aint that great, but for an extra ?25 i got "predictive" text and a "newer" unit.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well good luck with that mate hopefully get mine soon. Yeah the G and D sounded the same just got baffled when people quoted all these diff terms etc (although there help was much appreciated).

·
Registered
44 Posts
its a 2001 AUM GTI.......

there is nothing in pin 1........but there is in pin 5.........on the CAR.

on the LOOM, nothing in pin 5, but is in pin 1......

the wire on the car gonig to pin 5 comes from a silver "capsule"..........

thanks for your help!
Yes I understood this. pin 5 on the car is a white wire that goes to the silver capsule yeah? DON'T feed power to this wire, you could fry your nav like some people have!

Pin 1 should be the GALA wire (on the car). The loom was designed to get the speed signal from this pin 1, but since your car doesn't have the wire, you're going to have to get the speed signal from somewhere else. Did you look at the page that I linked you to? If you can do that and get the speed signal from the instrument cluster, then it should work.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the wire to the capsule is black..........

so basically no easy GALA........and i aint really wanting to start splicing wires.....might kill the whole car knowing me!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
VDO used to offer a kit that that takes a speed pulse from the wheel of the car.  Basically it works the same way as a trip computer of a push bike works i.e. a magnet on the rim with a sensor.  I have used one of these in the past for another project.  If you want I can enquire about one for you.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts