Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought myself a netgear wireless router. Been wroking off the work latop on wireless perfectly. Come to install the usb adaptor for my desktop and it never ets a signal or finds a really good signal from the router (about 6 metres away through the ridiculously paper thin partition walls builders build these days) but the ncarries on searching and never stays locked on. So frickin annoyed.

Got the latest driver (checked the version number on the netgear site) and it's all okay. Only thing to do is take the security away on the router but don't wanna do that cos I shouldn't have to ! bout to throw the fudging thing out the goddamn window Soooooo pissed off with it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
things i would try are drivers, channel on router, use config utility that came with adapter or windows zero and finally change the adapter

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
398 Posts
things i would try are drivers, channel on router, use config utility that came with adapter or windows zero and finally change the adapter
How do I set hte channel on the router ? and what is windows zero ? The router is this : http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834PN.asp

the adaptor is this : http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN111.asp

It works fine on this my work laptop, yet the adaptor won't lock onto the signal even though it shows it's there.
dan - i would let windows manage the wireless devices (windows zero configuration), i changed this on my mate's netgear pcmcia card last week and everything worked ok from then - to change this right click the wireless icon in the system tray (next to the time) then s elect the option to let windows manage wireless

to change the channel on the router you need to login to the web admin page (using the ip address is http://192.168.1.1 or whatever) and then go to the wireless settings - you will then need to change the channel on each network card ( laptop and desktop

give me a shout if you still get stuck

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The other issue may well be that it is trying to pickup a signal right next to (or through) a noisy pc.

Have you got a USB extension lead ? You may get a better signal if you move the adapter about.

Personally for a pc I prefer the internal style card with an external antenna.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other issue may well be that it is trying to pickup a signal right next to (or through) a noisy pc.

Have you got a USB extension lead ? You may get a better signal if you move the adapter about.

Personally for a pc I prefer the internal style card with an external antenna.
Well, the usb adaptor was on the end of a three foot long extension cable and most of the time was on the desk maybe 18" above the pc. It scans the relevant channels, finds a good signal on channel six, seems to stall on this for a second or two, then dumps that and carries on scanning the other channels ! Then comes back round to channel six and repeats the process ad infinitum.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I set hte channel on the router ? and what is windows zero ? The router is this : http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834PN.asp

the adaptor is this : http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN111.asp

It works fine on this my work laptop, yet the adaptor won't lock onto the signal even though it shows it's there.
dan - i would let windows manage the wireless devices (windows zero configuration), i changed this on my mate's netgear pcmcia card last week and everything worked ok from then - to change this right click the wireless icon in the system tray (next to the time) then s elect the option to let windows manage wireless

to change the channel on the router you need to login to the web admin page (using the ip address is http://192.168.1.1 or whatever) and then go to the wireless settings - you will then need to change the channel on each network card ( laptop and desktop

give me a shout if you still get stuck
Cheers Neil, i'll try all that tonight. Though I was gonna try taking the security off (though I don't want to at all and shouldn't have to !) as a thread I read on the netgear forums said someone had had a very similar problem with the same equipment and got it connected through taking the security off.

Maybe i'll try your suggestions first, then take the security off as a last resort.

I have set wep security - should both laptop and desktop have the same wep key ? I assume yes ? Which is 'better' - Wep 'key' or 'passphrase' ?

·
Registered
398 Posts
it won't harm having no security for 5 mins whilst you try it -if it works ok then just enable it - you'll just need to change the network card settings on both laptop and desktop with the encryption key

yes they will both need the same key - on my netgear i use WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

another good idea once all is working is to stop broadcasting the SSID - then when people scan for wireless networks they won't see yours

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it won't harm having no security for 5 mins whilst you try it -if it works ok then just enable it - you'll just need to change the network card settings on both laptop and desktop with the encryption key

yes they will both need the same key - on my netgear i use WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

another good idea once all is working is to stop broadcasting the SSID - then when people scan for wireless networks they won't see yours
Cheers for the adivce neil. One question can you check your routers manual on the cd - in mine in the section about security it was completely blank ! WPA PSK is more secure right ? Is it harder to set up then ?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
You may find that the wireless card does not support the same security settings as the router.  Certain cards of mine do not support WPA-PSK.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I had this problem the other day. I got rid of the software that came with the USB thing, set windows to do the legwork (as above) and off I went, all sorted.

·
Registered
398 Posts
a manual - what's one of them [:p]

this is from the help text to the right of the wireless settings on my router (i use WPA-PSK which then allows you to use a key or passphrase ie "iloveukmkivnet" and i found this easleir to setup than WEP)

Security Options

Select the desired option, and ensure all your Wireless stations have the same setting:
  • Disable - This will disable the security function. Data will not be encrypted before transmission.
  • WEP - WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy), if used, encrypts data before transmission. This provides greater security and privacy. All Wireless Stations need to use the same settings (WEP Key size and WEP key).
  • WPA-PSK - This version of WPA uses a PSK (Pre-shared Key) for authentication, so you don't need a Radius Server. All Wireless stations need to use the same PSK (Pre-shared Key). Data transmissions are encrypted using a 256 Bit key derived from the PSK. This key changes regularly, providing greater protection. WPA is more secure than WEP, and should be used if possible.
  • WPA-802.1x - This version of WPA requires the use of a Radius server for authentication. Each user (Wireless Client) must have a "user" login on the Radius Server, and this device must have a "client" login on the Radius server. Data transmissions are encrypted using a key which is automatically generated.

WEP Security Encryption

Authentication Type

Normally this can be left at the default value of "Automatic." If that fails, s elect the appropriate value - "Open System" or "Shared Key." Check your wireless card's documentation to see what method to use.

Encryption Strength

Select the WEP Encryption level:
  • 64-bit (sometimes called 40-bit) encryption
  • 128-bit encryption

WEP Key

You can manually or automatically program the four data encryption keys. These values must be identical on all PCs and Access Points in your network.

Automatic Key Generation (Passphrase)

Enter a word or group of printable characters in the Passphrase box and click the Generate button to automatically configure the WEP Key(s). If encryption strength is set to 64 bit, then each of the four key boxes will automatically be populated with key values. If encryption strength is set to 128 bit, then only the s elected WEP key box will automatically be populated with key values.

Manual Entry Mode

Select which of the four keys will be used and enter the matching WEP key information for your network in the s elected key box.

For 64 bit WEP - Enter ten hexadecimal digits (any combination of 0-9, A-F).

For 128 bit WEP - Enter twenty-six hexadecimal digits (any combination of 0-9, A-F).

Be sure to click Apply to save your settings in this menu.

WPA-PSK Security Encryption

Network Key

For WPA-PSK, you need to enter the Network Key here. The Key must be from 8 to 63 ASCII characters. Your Wireless Stations must use the same key.

WPA Encryption

Currently, only TKIP is supported. Ensure your Wireless Stations are also using TKIP. Normally, this is the default. If there is no choice of encryption methods for WPA-PSK, then you can assume TKIP will be used.

WPA-802.1x Security Encryption

Radius Server Name/IP Address

Enter the name or IP address of the Radius Server on your LAN.
  • Each user (Wireless Client) must have a "user" login on the Radius Server.
  • This device must have a "client" login on the Radius server. The login name is the name of this device.

Radius Port

Enther the port number which is used for connections to your Radius Server.

Shared Key

Enter the shared key, as configured on your Radius server, for the "client" login for this device.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spent hours trying to get the WPN111 to connect. As the others have said just let windows control it and it will work fine.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had this problem the other day. I got rid of the software that came with the USB thing, set windows to do the legwork (as above) and off I went, all sorted.
I tried to let windows do it last night but it said it couldn't (I forget the exact wording now). Oh arse and I thought it weas ognna be plug it all in, follow the ample included instructions ( even though they are on disc - HATE that ! ) and robert would be my mother's brother ! How wrong I was ! [:mad:]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

this is from the help text to the right of the wireless settings on my router (i use WPA-PSK which then allows you to use a key or passphrase ie "iloveukmkivnet" and i found this easleir to setup than WEP)

Network Key

For WPA-PSK, you need to enter the Network Key here. The Key must be from 8 to 63 ASCII characters. Your Wireless Stations must use the same key.
Where do I find the network key then ?

·
Registered
398 Posts

Network Key

you make it up dan - use whatever you like

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Network Key

Ah right, I see. Easier than that 26 character hexadecimal jumble I was typing in last night !

·
Registered
398 Posts

Network Key

Ah right, I see. Easier than that 26 character hexadecimal jumble I was typing in last night !
haha yep exactly [:p]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
any luck then mate?
Well did two things I changed it to wpa-psk, but also let windows do the configuration instead and now it seems to be connected ! [H]

Many thanks all, for your help, particularly you neil, much appreciated ! Typing this on my work lappy though.. but my desktop in front of me seems to be connected fine now, just updated avg anti virus for the first time since mid december.. [^o)]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts