Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've got the budget tyres that came with my aftermarket rims, and at first they were a decent all rounder, but lately i've been finding it far too easy to spin the wheels, and its happening quite early in first (say above 3.5k revs).

So, i'm looking for people's experiences with the best tyres they've had and which i should go for??

Also i might just change the front two since its FWD to save ??. Is this wise?

Thanks [:)]

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'll second that, I had 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1's fitted 2 weeks ago, excellent tyre, amazing in the wet, great in the dry. You can get them for ?76.90 each at www.etyres.co.uk for 205/55/16.

Get them!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Also, in response to your second question, if your going to be changing just 2 tyres, its often recommened to change the rear tyres, as I think they are most likely to lose control in a skid/aquaplaning situation, its what I've heard/read anyway? If you can afford a set of 4 it would be better.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'll second that, I had 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1's fitted 2 weeks ago, excellent tyre, amazing in the wet, great in the dry. You can get them for ?76.90 each at www.etyres.co.uk for 205/55/16.

Get them!
Just looked on that site for some Eagle F1's for my 19's as i will be getting some soon, ?195.90p EACH [:O][:O]

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the quick responses guys. Its unanimous [:)] F1's it is then:

Also, in response to your second question, if your going to be changing just 2 tyres, its often recommened to change the rear tyres, as I think they are most likely to lose control in a skid/aquaplaning situation, its what I've heard/read anyway? If you can afford a set of 4 it would be better.
So if i was to only change two, i'd put the F1's on the back??

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've just been to that site, there's two that come up;

one reinforced, and the other not.
but the reinforced one is cheaper??
anyone know what the difference is?

Looks like it'll be around ?230 upwards for a pair eitherway[:(]

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers for that mate, just had a look. i found them cheaper but they say XL after the GSD3 - any idea what that means?

thanks

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
cheers for that mate, just had a look. i found them cheaper but they say XL after the GSD3 - any idea what that means?

thanks
XL = Extra Loading - probably the same as the reinforced ones. Just stronger tyres I think, probably reinforced sidewalls.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'd go with Vredestein Ultrac... Started with just a set on the front, and was so impressed I've now got them all round - superb tyre in wet and dry!

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for the replies and the links. Its really helpful.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 all the way!

Unless u have ???? to spend then Pirelli P Zero Rossos or Michellin Pilot Sport II!
Its really funny you said that - i just came from a tyre shop just now, and it went like this;

Me :Hi have you got any Goodyear Eagle F1's?
Manager:What do you think? *points to "JustTyres" badge*
Me: Er..
Manager:Why'd you want Eagle F1's anyway?
Me: I heard they're good
Manager:
There are better ones
Me: okay... :s

Then he proceeded to flick thru his book and tell me he could do the F1's for 140 each.

He told me that in his opinion the Pilot Sport II's were the "best tyre in the world" and that they were better than the F1's on two counts:

1) They have better wear
2) They come in a 'reinforced' or 'XL' version which is more structurally sound

Then he went off on one listing all the ones he thought were good and he came up with this in no particular order;

Eagle F1's
PilotSport II
Avon ZZ3's
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's

Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well the reason i mentioned the P zeros and Sports II's is that I had them on my Golf, 225/40/18's I think, when I got the car they had an average tyre, then they needed replacing, luckily at the time my mate was working at a tyre place and done something so i got em for ?300 for all 4 fitted and balanced etc.. and I found such a difference in the handling!

I think I had Yokohama A520's on my Cossie but they wore out quick!

With the Bora, I got 2 Pirreil P6000's, i think about ?60 odd each, but IMHO they were awful, bearing in mind I had just had the car chipped it just span and in the wet it was rediculous, soooooo i ended up getting a bit of wire in one, so put the spare on, so i had some ??? and decded to get two F1's and have them put on the front, and I was very very pleased, it doesnt spin anything like b4, unless its wet and u really boot it obv.

I dont think u can go wrong with the F1's myself, oh btw, they were 205/50/16's and I got em for ?62.50 each fitted and balanced from Bracknell Tyre and Battery cos was living down that way at the time, so I think ?140 seems a bit steep, depending on size of course!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I've had Goodyear Eagle GSD3's for my last 3 sets of tyres and they are very good. However I've now got Bridgestone Potenza RE040's on which are even better and very similar pricewise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts