Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, just something I've learned (the hard way)
which I thought I'd pass on.<o:p></o:p>

As some will have read I crashed my Golf in January and it
was all sorted out. Protected no-claims and everything meant I felt I had
nothing to worry about with regards to my premium. Maybe a small increase which
I was prepared for but I couldn't have been so wrong!<o:p></o:p>

Talking to a range of insurers including my current one,
they seem to be very un-helpful when you mention that you have had an accident.
The accident its? self isn?t the problem ? it?s the killer question straight afterwards.
Words to the effect of ?Did the 3rd party put in a compensation
claim??. A simple yes to that question, has found my MINIMUM insurance premium
INCREASE by over ?1000! The guy I accidentally hit was perfectly fine at the
scene, but milked it to pieces and has claimed now stating he was off work for
weeks ? when he flew out to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Spain</st1:place></st1:country-region>
the next day to do business. The insurers seem to all agree to the effect of ?
if he hadn?t of put the compo claim in ? I would have been ok when it comes to
renewal.

My body shop even spoke to him, and he asked them if ?putting
in a claim anyway? would make any difference to my premium. John highly advised
against it but the liar did it anyway, he was kind enough to say to John he couldn?t
move after the crash, and found it difficult to get out of the car in the
seconds following the bump ? shame I couldn?t video him climbing under the car
and jumping about getting paperwork together in a perfect fit state.

Now, as a consequence, I can no longer keep my Golf ? I?m
busy organising to have it sold so I can downgrade to a Polo or the like which
will get me just over ?2000 for a fully comprehensive premium. No wonder so
many young people have no insurance with their eye?s basically being ripped out
for insurance.

While I accept I was to blame ? I also accept accidents
happen, I accepted that when a student ran into the back of me. I completely disagree
with this whole ?stick a compo claim in anyway? policy that <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Britain</st1:place></st1:country-region> has
turned into ? as a result it?s ruined my dream of having the Golf I wanted for
so many years, saved for and purchased.

Moral of the story? Well I?d say only claim if you have
seriously been affected, loss of earnings, medical problems, and the like. You
might be ?x grand richer, but the accident may have cost someone their
car/job/dream.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry to hear pal.

I thought if you had protected no-claims it wouldn't effect your policy that much even though it was you at fault.

Just wondering how many yrs no claims you got?

·
Registered
148 Posts
sorry to hear you have to sell your car, at least its someone you don't know claim unlike a so call friend who was in my car when I had a smash, who put in a claim when he wasn't even hurt.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well off I went car shopping today - found this - spoke to insurance who will be realistic (Under 1200!)

Posted Image

Bit of a sacrifice going to the 1400 TDI - but I'll save me cash in the long run.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I know this won't help at all, and I feel a bit stupid for saying it, but my friend had that model (1.4TDi). Theirs is SE and I find it a really nice car to drive, I really like it. Handles much better than my Golf, and it's easily chipped to 100bhp apparently.

With reference to the absolute waste of space who's put the claim in, I would say REVENGE! Very petty though, even if it does make you feel a whole lot better!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate.

Life's not fair when you have to sell your car just because some pratt wants a couple of grand for pretending he's got a sore neck.

I thought if you had protected no-claims it wouldn't effect your policy that much even though it was you at fault.

Just wondering how many yrs no claims you got?
Unfortunately protected no claims is just what it says on the tin. You will still get the same percentage discount after putting in a claim, but it doesn't stop your basic premium (before discount is applied) from going through the roof.

So if you had full NCB of 60% and your basic premium was ?1000, you would have payed ?400. After an accident your basic premium might go up to ?3000 meaning you still have to pay ?1200 after they take your 60% discount off. Life sucks sometimes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sorry to hear bout you having to sell your golf man. That must be gutting, i just hope the guys plane crashed on the way back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and i hate insurance companys! It is the pinacle of "day light robbery"! Unless you order your insurance over the internet...at night!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Life sucks don't it,

Have you told the insurance company that the bloke flew out of the country the following day? And that he'd been talking to the body shop bloke about it. I think they might be interested to look further into this as they look very dimminly on fraudulent claims, and may well take legal action against him. Might help get the personal injury claim removed from your record.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think thats a very good point, your insurance company will be very pleased with information like that, coz they will be the one paying the compensation at the first instant!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
That is a real shitter to be in that position mate so I do feel for you.

With regards to that guy, it might be worth explaining the situation to your insurance company, and perhaps ask that they forward a letter to either him or his insurance company stating that you/they are not happy with the circumstances, explain your view and ask for proof of his injuries ie doctors letter/notes etc or an examination. If he was that bad he would have been down his doctors within 2-3 days max, prob morning after to get himself checked out, and if he was at all clever, he would have done that regardless of if he was injured or not if he even had an inkling that he was going to milk the system...

The annoying things is that insurance companies in reality are not that efficient or clever to think of this most of the time, plus the fact that the cost of time involved to pursue such a case means that it is usually easier and probably cheaper to give a smallish payout, even if it is at your expense.

A bit of pressure on him might get him to retract his claims, if they are bogus, as the words 'fraud' and 'investigation' should do the job if he is mugging the system off. He will be looked at very dimly if there is no medical history to back up his claims...

The whole whiplash claims culture, especially the moronic likes of the Claims Direct clan, are costing not only people, but the country millions. People moan that their premiums keep rising, yet if you asked they if they would claim whiplash if they could, even if they werent injured, most people would say yes. I probably would if i'm honest. Whiplash is an easy thing to fake and tough to disprove medically, hence so many people play the system for their own personal gain. Its for the same reason that the roads are in such a state, because councils spend so much on paying out on claims for falls and damage because of the bad roads/pavements etc, they then cant actually afford to fix the offending roads!

I also think that the whole world of car insurance is a minefield of small print and clauses, and even if you tick every box to cover you and pay accordingly, when it comes down to it you still aren't armour plated...one little lapse of concentration and years of hard work and being careful is undone...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just as a thought, is this because the claim is still outstanding?

Someone went in the back of my car a couple of years ago and while granted i wasnt in a wheel chair hanging to my legs i genuinely had whiplash and made a claim for it, should have claimed more cos it actually screwed my backin the long term even though it wasnt much then.

Anyway i was waiting on it all being settled when my insurance ran out. Came to requote and i got a shock of ?900 extra on my premium because the claim hadnt been fully settled. After it had been i got all that money back, thats egg insurance who have been good for me to date.

Wondered if because he is claiming is it fully settled? Cos if not maybe he might get a ?1k payout which isnt much but he could get ?100k. Obviously thats going to make a difference in the eyes of an insurer.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Also just to put things into perspective, there are genuine cases out there. My Wife still suffers problems with her neck about once a month from a car accident where she was shunted 14 years ago.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Agreed, it is that much worse for those who are genuinely injured as they have to go through all the hassle of proving their case as well as all the medical issues of, hopefully, where possible, actually getting treatment to make them better. In those cases where ongoing medical treatment is required, or those where people are genuinely damaged for life, the money is little consolation for living with back pain etc. My opinion is money means nothing if you haven't got your health...

The money that should be spent on compensating and treating those who do need it is being rinsed by chancers...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I made a claim against DHL some time back and even when it was settled in my favour nearly 2yrs later I had still been paying over the odds because of a "pending" claim. So I was penalised for a claim I was making against someone else...Kerching for the insurance companies.

As for the whole whiplash thing...my chiropractor has said it is so difficult for professionals to prove whiplash one way or the other...

I would write a letter to the insurers suggesting they place the guy under investigation for fraud, if they don't agree ask for their process for dealing with such claims - you might want to suggest that you are prepared to hire a private investigator...for which you will seek reinbursement if he proves that the guy is working when he says he isn't

Also request their complaints procedure - the buck will ultimately fall in the FSA's hands

>>>

On another note a friend of mines father had to give up work for medical reasons and they sent an investigator after a 60+yo man. They videoed him walking from his house to the shop and then suggested he was capable of working...even though the drugs he was prescribed meant he was unable to drive or operate machinery...thus unable to continue working as a courier...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Which insurance company is it? Most dont look at the value of the claim any more just the fact that u had a fault claim so u might be helping them out and get nothing in return anyway!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Its a shame people who make fraudulant claims are allowed to get away with it, all they've done is drive down how much insurance companies will pay out now to a few thou, then when someones really injured and unable to work or carry on a normal life then they get a pittance which might just about cover medical costs.

It's always worth having a camera in the car with you, so that you can take pics at the scene, or get a 3rd party to take pics, of the cars, number of passengers etc. Always makes sorting out the insurance so much easier. < digital camera/phone pics are not useable due to the nature that they can be changed, so u need a good old disposable 35mm camera>

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi again people,

I've got insurance on the Polo for ?1200 fully comp which I'm pleased with (was under ?1200 but with monthly payments it went up a little). I'm quite pleased with the Polo. It's 75BHP at the moment but I've read a remap will take it to about 100BHP. I want to get it to 110BHP and then I'll be happy with it for the moment. Any ideas as to what I should do to make 10BHP? I have to bear in mind it is still under warrenty so I don't want to invalidate that...

I got my insurance through Endsleigh, I got 10% for buying online - and then a further 20% for being a student, which I thought was pretty cool of them. They also allowed me to say I had one years no claims. I crashed while being a named driver on my step-dad's insurance, because I had my own policy for a year with Norwich Union for my Fiesta & Rover - they will allow me to use a year's no claim discount - it DRAMATICALLY effected my premium!

I never had the chance to mention to the insurance company that I felt he has claimed fraudulently. I got the 'threatening' letter from his solicitors, and then a letter from solicitors that the insurance company use. Do you think it is best writing to them mentioning that I feel he has claimed fraudulently? I worked on the conclusion they could pay out ?3k compo for him, or pay ?3k+ for a legal team to prove he is fraudulently claiming.

I am sad about having to leave the Golf - but I figure a few years with the Polo + a few more years no claims - means I can go onto my ideal car when I'm 24+. I think it'll fly at 110bhp but always willing to have more!

·
Registered
383 Posts
If he was running around the cars after the accident and as you said he cleared off on a plane on buisness, yes i would bring it up with your insurance company. At the end of the day its money he's costing you, so screw him!

Did you forward a copy of his solicitors letter to your insurance company? As all/any contact you have with him/his solicitors /insurance company should be passed on to your insurance company so that they know every thing thats going on. Also you should NOT undertake any disscussions/contact with him directly, it should all be done through your insurance company/solicitors.

At the end of the day you've paid your insurance company a premium, make them do the work!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts