Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this horrible grinding noise on my 4 motion.

The noise is like a metal to metal grinding, very evident when turning on a roundabout and the weight of the car seems to be on the front nearside wheel. Straight lines it seems okay, although do get an occasionaly grinding noise at very very slow speeds.

Had the front nearside wheel off the car and cant seem to see anything that would look like metal rubbing anything.

First thought it might be the metal guard rubbing on the disk but no.

Ive recently had the inner and outer cv joints changed and a new driveshaft to try an cure this problem, also a new wheel bearing and hub housing.

All this lot cost enough! Not sure what else is left that could be causing it.

All thats left is the top mount/bearing, shock/spring and the gearbox?

Thanks for any help guys

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a silly one!

Have checked the pads, they are fine. Also the disc is like new..... very very slight lip on edge but nothing to worry about.

Theirs no scoring on the front or rear of the disk too indicate anything catching on it either.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 19" wheels, but i know this is not the problem as the noise wasnt their when i first put the wheels on some months back, only appeared after 4 or 5 months...

Cheers

·
Registered
722 Posts
Check the spring, is the car slightly lower on the nearside? I had a similar problem, the spring top coil had snapped off. Easy to replace, and worth replacing the top bearing.

SB

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi mate, you need to check your ball joints, sounds very much like these may have worn, classic symptoms. Hope this helps.

1.8t, full spec, 18" A4s in gleaming red !!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the spring, is the car slightly lower on the nearside? I had a similar problem, the spring top coil had snapped off. Easy to replace, and worth replacing the top bearing.

SB
Will check this out today, you maybe right, as not sure but seem to remember thinking the other day that the nearside front looked every so slightly lower! Again if I get the shock unit out I will definitly change the top mount bearings whilst out!

Hi mate, you need to check your ball joints, sounds very much like these may have worn, classic symptoms. Hope this helps.

1.8t, full spec, 18" A4s in gleaming red !!
Sorry forgot to mention it has new wishbones(with bushes) and also new bottom ball joints.

Thanks anyhow for input

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah both sides have been changed just in case although the nosie is definitly very bad only on the nearside....

·
Registered
43 Posts
grinding noise is possibly the rear brake sheild behind the disc grinding..especialy if there has been recent work carried out in that area..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As above first thought it might have been this rubbing on the disc but no.....

Noise appeared before any work was carried out, the only reason work carried out as above was after noise appeared!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I can see all that is left on that side too change is :

Top mount/bearing

Shock and spring

Driveshaft(isnt this just a solid bar with splines either end?)

or the gearbox?

This has really puzzled me.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not had a chance to check spring yet. Looks okay looking at it when vehicle on floor.

Will hopefully get a chance to remove strut this week, to check spring out properly...

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts