Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Chris. I live in Melbourne (Australia) and l am patiently waiting on delivery of a Mk5 GTi.

It will be my first ever Volkswagen and it simply can't come soon enough. The wait here at the moment is 6 months.

I've ordered one with DSG and a sunroof, that's all.

This forum is terrific. The information l've gathered so far has been quite worthwhile.

Cheers [:D]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tornado red with the interlagos cloth trim ( not a fan of leather upholstery ).

It's supposed to be ready by May although l suspect mid to late June might be more likely.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Welcome! Just had a look at the Australian website and it seems to be 5
door only? But you get one with DSG and sunroof for ?300 more than our
base car! I thought you had massive import taxes on foreign cars...

Enjoy the MKV forum!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only GTi available in Australia at the moment is the 5 door. There is some talk of the 3 door becoming available later in the year.

The import tariff on imported cars was reduced last year, l can't remember by how much. It think it was largely a political move relating to free trade. I'm not complaining mind you. At the present time, the allocation of GTi's to Australia is limited to 15 / week. The waiting list is growing on a daily basis. The GTi has been very well received since it was released here in May 2005. Even though l have a pretty good car now, l'm still "champing at the bit" to get my GTi.

The only thing l've bought so far are personalised plates - MK5GTI.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate!

Sweet private plate! Slightly more expensive over here! Especially ones like MK5GTI.

It's gonna be a long 6 months though........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum mate!

Sweet private plate! Slightly more expensive over here! Especially ones like MK5GTI.

It's gonna be a long 6 months though........
Oh boy, is it ever. Still, it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you could join us.

Is ther a big VW scene down under?

RG
VW is not a big seller in Australia, although l believe they increased there market share considerably last year. Most "Aussies" would not be prepared to wait 6 months for a new car like l am with the GTi.

If Volkswagen continue to improve their product, as they have done with the Mk 5 Golf and Jetta, they can't help but sell more cars.

Cheers [H]

·
Registered
213 Posts
That is an amazing private plate mate! I couldnt be bothered waiting 6months for a car, couldnt handle it! Good on you for being patient though, it will definitely be worth it in the end!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad you could join us.

Is ther a big VW scene down under?

RG
An update from previous comment about the VW scene in Australia.........The motoring section of todays daily newspaper indicated that VW increased its' market share in 2005 by 46.8% compared to 2004. That's 46.8% more VW's sold last year, not profit or value.

That increase could only be attributed to the Mark 5 Golf (inc. the GTi). I should imagine Volkswagen Australia would be feeling pretty pleased right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts