Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Acer N35, which was working fine yesterday morning. Went to see a customer and when I switched it back on, it couldn't find a signal. I assumed it was because I was in a valley so didn't worry too much. But it's still not able to recieve any signal at home, where I know it previously gets a full signal. So, I've performed a soft reset, which didn't work, a hard reset, changed the sd card and re-installed the Destinator software (still no joy). I then did another soft and hard reset but nothing. The PDA has been on since 8.30 and it's not picked up a signal. There's a blue GPS LED indicator that flashes - that's working.

Any suggestions?[:cool:]

Dave

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I don't know if the ACER has it but on the ipaq, there was the ability to change the connection to the GPS receiver - I think there was one of 3 settings - a jacket or bluietooth or something else. Every so often, it would change itself and so not pick up any satellites.

Like I say, don't know if the ACER has this...

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, I think the Acer has the same thing - the GPS configuration. It has 3 options:

COM Port; Baud Rate; Protocol

There's also 2 buttons "Find GPS" and "Set GPS"......

I pressed the Find GPS, which basically brings up a "GPS Found" message but it still didn't find any satellites

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
OK - and the GPS configuration is correct ? Have you tried changing it to another and then back to the correct one ?

Are you trying this in the car ? Or in your office (eg ) 3 floors up ? My office is on the 2nd floor and I never got a satellite - I had to go to street level and wait for it to locate the satellites for about 5 minutes...

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the GPS configuration is ok. I've changed it about a bit but no joy.

"GPS not found" on anything other than COM8, and Protocol must be set at NMEA (only other setting is SiRF). Have changed the baud rate but no improvement.

So far, I tried this in the car (was switch on all afternoon) as I was driving back home. Tried it on the drive in the car. Tried it in the lounge. Am now upstairs and it still won't find anything. I know that I can normally get a signal normally upstair, on the driveway and generally in this area. This is so odd!!!! Do you think it's possible that the antenna is broken?

Appreciating the advice mate! [Y]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
is it in a jacket or does it have the antenna with the long wire ? If a jacket, is it connected to the Acer properly ? ie clicked home ?

If nothing works, I can only think that there is a problem with the GPS receiver

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not entirely sure what you mean about the antenna so here's a pic of one. Basically, the antenna just flips up.

Posted Image

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
OK - is the clock set to the correct time and date ? Sounds daft  but the GPS needs that to determine the correct satellites...

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mate, nothing sounds daft to me - I just want it working again!!

The PDA date & time aren't set because of the hard reset BUT, when I run Destinator and "Find GPS", then go to see the satellite info screen (tells how many satellites are being found and strength) the correct time and date are displayed there.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just tried that and still nothing......

I think I know what you're about to say!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhh, that was the clean version of what I was thinking - thought you were going to tell me it's F.U.B.A.R.!!!

Well, cheers for the info, maybe someone else can offer assistance before I start to dismantle it!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I can only suggest standing outside where there are no tall buildings or trees to see if it locks on then...

Thats all I have left [:'(]

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks anyway Damian - I appreciate the advice.

I'll take it out later and see how it fairs. It's currently sat on my window sill to see if it picks anything up!

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's working!!!!! Downloaded a utility from t'internet, to check the status of the reciever, which was working. For some reason, it just wasn't locking on to a signal (?). Anyway, eventually I found 1 satellite, then 2 a while later. Checked again this morning and I had 12 of the suckers.

Not sure what, if anything, I did but the main thing is I now know where I am and can go home!!

Fair play to Acer, they agreed to take the machine and repair it under warranty even though it's 14 months old. Good service - maybe VW should take note!!

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
OK - is the clock set to the correct time and date ? Sounds daft but the GPS needs that to determine the correct satellites...
I thought it got the time FROM the GPS network,as it compares the difference in times from sattelites that are further away and arrive a bit later?And I was going to suggest to make sure there isn't a dead horse on your bonnet blocking the signal,but then thought better of it.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
OK - is the clock set to the correct time and date ? Sounds daft but the GPS needs that to determine the correct satellites...
I thought it got the time FROM the GPS network,as it compares the difference in times from sattelites that are further away and arrive a bit later?And I was going to suggest to make sure there isn't a dead horse on your bonnet blocking the signal,but then thought better of it.

Chris.
Chris, RE your thguohts on time, you're right, there's a time signal in the GPS signal [:)]

C

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And I was going to suggest to make sure there isn't a dead horse on your bonnet blocking the signal,but then thought better of it.

Chris.
lol......but don't get that one started again! I guess that it was just a poor signal that was causing the problem. I'd been recieving the time so I must have had some signal but not enough to fix onto a satellite. Anyway, it's still working so I'm happy!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts