Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got pulled over last night and the policeman picked up on the wheels pokeing out from my wheel arches.. its only litrally like 1mm but he said it cant be sticking out, i run 18" porsche cup 3 alloys with 20mm adapters and stretch

am i going to have to get my adapters shaved down abit?

i thought aslong as the tread is inside the wheel arch its legal?

my car is now on the system and will get flagged up so need to get it sorted

cheers

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
nah mate, if ANY part of your alloy/tyre sticks out from the top part of ur arch your asking for it. and 20mm adapater on 18" AND stretched? looooool dude just get 15m and itll be simplesss, or like u said shave them down but that sounds a lil :/

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Council Directive 78/549/EEC of 12 June 1978 on the approximation
of the laws of the Member States relating to the wheel guards of motor
vehicles

2.1.2. The rear of the wheel guards must not
terminate above a horizontal plane 150 mm above the axis of rotation of
the wheels (as measured at the wheel centres) and furthermore the
intersection of the edge of the wheel guard with this plane (point A,
figure 1) must lie outside the median longitudinal plane of the tyre, or
in the case of twin wheels the median longitudinal plane of the
outermost tyre.

2.1.3. The contour and location of the wheel
guards shall be such that they are as close to the tyre as possible ;
and in particular within the part formed by the radial planes referred
to in 2.1.1, they shall satisfy the following requirements: 2.1.3.1. the
projection - situated in the vertical plane of the tyre axis - of the
depth (p) of the outer edge of the wheel guards, measured in the
vertical longitudinal plane passing through the centre of the tyre, must
be at least 30 mm. This depth (p) may be reduced progressively to zero at the radial planes specified in 2.1.1;

In short, the wheel must NOT protrude more than 30mm past the edge of the mudguard. so poke is allowed upto 3cm! beyond tat it is illegal!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Isnt there another flaw somwhere,

its written that the wheels or tyres should no protude past the widest point of the vehicle, the police will like to make you think this is your arches but it is in actual fact your mirrors

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Just fit smaller spacers and then you'll be legal. [Y] Not a good look to have wheels sticking well out of the arches anyway...

Wigster.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Council Directive 78/549/EEC of 12 June 1978 on the approximation
of the laws of the Member States relating to the wheel guards of motor
vehicles

2.1.2. The rear of the wheel guards must not
terminate above a horizontal plane 150 mm above the axis of rotation of
the wheels (as measured at the wheel centres) and furthermore the
intersection of the edge of the wheel guard with this plane (point A,
figure 1) must lie outside the median longitudinal plane of the tyre, or
in the case of twin wheels the median longitudinal plane of the
outermost tyre.

2.1.3. The contour and location of the wheel
guards shall be such that they are as close to the tyre as possible ;
and in particular within the part formed by the radial planes referred
to in 2.1.1, they shall satisfy the following requirements: 2.1.3.1. the
projection - situated in the vertical plane of the tyre axis - of the
depth (p) of the outer edge of the wheel guards, measured in the
vertical longitudinal plane passing through the centre of the tyre, must
be at least 30 mm. This depth (p) may be reduced progressively to zero at the radial planes specified in 2.1.1;

In short, the wheel must NOT protrude more than 30mm past the edge of the mudguard. so poke is allowed upto 3cm! beyond tat it is illegal!
How do you work out that's what that means? Look at the diagram to which it refers, and also read it more closely and you'll see it makes no mention of the wheel sticking out by up to 30mm.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so do you guys reckon im going to have to get my adapters milled down or pop in to the police station and explain you allowed 3mm or the widest point of the car is the mirrors and my wheels don't stick out past these?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
You should of told them that your wheels are how its should be, that their wheels are all wrong, started telling them about offsets and the correct spacers to create the poke they require.

You should of told them the golf is wrong from the factory and the front wheels are a wider track than the rear, and that you know better than VW and the police when it comes to modified VW's.

You was thinking about road safety and felt the standard track could give increased risk of loss of traction at the rear during cornering onslippery surfaces, this is why you widened it.

Its ok to be cheeky if it wont cause you any extra bother, they should of left you alone in the 1st place. Wasting your time (and theirs).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You should of told them that your wheels are how its should be, that their wheels are all wrong, started telling them about offsets and the correct spacers to create the poke they require.

You should of told them the golf is wrong from the factory and the front wheels are a wider track than the rear, and that you know better than VW and the police when it comes to modified VW's.

You was thinking about road safety and felt the standard track could give increased risk of loss of traction at the rear during cornering onslippery surfaces, this is why you widened it.

Its ok to be cheeky if it wont cause you any extra bother, they should of left you alone in the 1st place. Wasting your time (and theirs).on

haha im loving that response! To be fair the policeman who pulled me was abit of a legend, got pulled over for having a light out which i didnt realise and not indicating out of a junction, in my defence is was 1 in the morning. It was only the "traffic officer" in the back of the van who pointed out the wheels, after checking i was insured, making sure all my lights and indicators worked then pointed out how my wheels stuck out. I don't want to space my wheels back in and would be a massive pain as i would have to mill down the adapters and dont want to cause any problems as its running so sweet at the moment

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
[Y]

Aye they did the correct thing by pulling you for the light out and not indicating when other road users were about.

Im all for road safety but sometimes its not about that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts