Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recieved a horrible letter through the post today.

I was caught speeding by a police camera. Now looking at the times it took place i remember the situation.

Coming down a 70mph dual carridgeway....long swoopy bend, i was probably doing 90mph...get round the corner and notice parked on the grass verge a big police transit van, blacked out windows etc...obviously out for speeding motorists, saw it and steadyed down safely to about 65mph...passed it all ok.

Got a letter now stating for driving at 81mph. Got all the form to fill out etc.... i will get a £60 fine and 3 points.

Now is there any way around this, as i remember that there was a flaw where you dont send it back....

But ive read it quickly and it states "you are required to supply the information requested within 28days of this notice..."

Any veiws?

Ta

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Just take it on the chin mate, they catch you before you clock them and slow down. There's no way round it. You used to be able to get away by sending it back without a signature but they closed that loophole too. 3 points wont make any difference to your insurance.

by the 7th point it doesnt hurt so much, and you get some cracking photos!! [:p]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too be honest it had to happen sooner or later. Over 4 years "fun" driving now with nothing. Just a bit gutted thats all.

So will i get a picture of my car once ive sent back the information? An expensive one if you ask me.

You kinda know what it is as soon as you tear the first part of the envelope open...scary.

Hopefully my insurance wont suffer as its my first conviction ,should i get on to them say tomorrow? or wait til i recieve something back from them once ive sent the form saying it was me driving?

Keep the advice coming....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Been there done that [:D] All because my Dad asked me to go get him some compost one sunday afternoon lmao. 40 in a 30.

3 years on and I'm back to zero points - in the eyes of the law. The blood sucking insurance companies have a different view though. They'd like to rape you for another 2 years.

My 3 points put my renewal up by £50 with admiral. I only noticed this when doing the points/no points check online at the last renewal. Even though at this point they were invalid! I got livid with the poor sales guy. I still don't know how they get away with it. In the eyes of the law I have served my 'sentance' after 3 years yet they still fine you for 5 years.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my insurance renewal is March next year...I dont tell insurance company until then? I thought you would have to tell them straight away and then they update your policy.

Blue V5.... this happened on the day i got the good deal on my new phone, coming back from town, i think you replyed to my post about it. Bad things always cancel the good things out!

Will i get a photo through? [H]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ooooh, unlucky! I'm hugging wood now to make sure I keep my £100!

...damn, that reads sooooo wrong.

No, I doubt you'll get a photo though. The 'safety' camera a-holes know it would cost them too much of their profit to print pictures too. I think you get them if you contest it though?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just take it on the chin mate, they catch you before you clock them and slow down. There's no way round it. You used to be able to get away by sending it back without a signature but they closed that loophole too. 3 points wont make any difference to your insurance.

by the 7th point it doesnt hurt so much, and you get some cracking photos!! [:p]
think again, it will make a difference, no doubt about it!!!!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im trying to do a online quote with my insurer , talking about convictions its asking for a conviction code...ive no idea what that is and cant find one on the document i have so far!

{edit} s electing a random conviction code...."SP12" whilst stating 3 point penalty ...Insurance has worked about £14 cheaper [:^)]

·
Registered
931 Posts
yours is probally a sp30. thats what mine was a few years back.

i bet your going to use mirrors a hell of a lot more now. i do. allways checking since i was caught

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had one when i first past my test, it was a speeding fine + red light. I went over on red because i was going to fast to stop for the light.

Very kindly my dad took the points for me as i would have had to re-take my test because it was within the first 2 years of driving. I needed my car for work etc so luckily i had some1 to help me out.

Someone did tell me at the time to do this which i didnt because i didnt want anymore hassle and the points wasnt going on my license after all..............................Yes i am the driver of the vehicle but you cannot use this as evidence as i have not been cautioned.

My dad ended up with only 3 points for the offence where i think i would of got 3 for each.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always been wery all the time and have good observation skills. But obviously i couldnt see round a long blind corner to see the parked van in advance.. I would imagine it was average speed as i know i passed the van at below 70mph, but was doing about 90 before the van, just dont know how they picked me up at the start! Buggers

What exactly is a SP30.....i just presumed....speeding in excess of..then the number after was how much over the limit?

Guess it will make me think about driving over the limit again but im no sunday driver and im sure this will burst out again soon.

- When do i tell insurance company...my renewal date is March next year? do i tell them then?

·
Registered
931 Posts
i never told my insurer for 10months. stupid really. probs best to own up? what if you tried to claim, and they didnt pay out because of it?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
a single speeding fine wont really effect you so many people have been caught now days,

but normally you would have to produce your documents within 7 days at a police station so the points can be added to your licence, does it not mention that.

+ you don't pay the money at the station,

does yours mention anything about this.

you can inform your insurance if you want but it should only afftect your new policy a smidge!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I had one when i first past my test, it was a speeding fine + red light. I went over on red because i was going to fast to stop for the light.

Very kindly my dad took the points for me as i would have had to re-take my test because it was within the first 2 years of driving. I needed my car for work etc so luckily i had some1 to help me out.

Someone did tell me at the time to do this which i didnt because i didnt want anymore hassle and the points wasnt going on my license after all..............................Yes i am the driver of the vehicle but you cannot use this as evidence as i have not been cautioned.

My dad ended up with only 3 points for the offence where i think i would of got 3 for each.
tbh honest... I wouldn't mention this on the internet! some of the people on here are cops[;)]

·
Registered
30 Posts
A friend of mine is quite knowledgable on things like this firstly they need to show you a colabaration report for the gun they use that day they also need to confirm there was two people in the van to have proof of your speed by two independent operatives also does the road illustrate that they have speed cameras operating in the area ie sign also to give them a bit more aggro ask for a copy of the photo normally if you give them all of these to ponder they normally cant be bothered with the paperwork seek advise from others but he did this and has been luckily enough to get away with 2 im sure its not just a coinsidence

L14RLA

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Prawnstar, its just basically a notice saying i was speeding blah blah.

On the reverse is the form to fill out, basically fill out and send back. they want to know who was driving the car....if me they want my drivers license number, full name, DOB, signature and phone number

On the bottom it says "Please do not send payment or your driving license with this form"

dosnt say what action will be taken then, but there is another sheet with a chart.....with differant directions depending on what answers you choose....ive read through and answered truthfully and it leads down too.....

"What happens next...... if you werethe driver you will be considered for a fixed penalty notice to save you going to court" .... Accept penalty offer.... "Pay £60 and recieve 3 points on license"

Dosnt say how you pay etc....guess i will get that stuff at a later date?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A friend of mine is quite knowledgable on things like this firstly they need to show you a colabaration report for the gun they use that day they also need to confirm there was two people in the van to have proof of your speed by two independent operatives also does the road illustrate that they have speed cameras operating in the area ie sign also to give them a bit more aggro ask for a copy of the photo normally if you give them all of these to ponder they normally cant be bothered with the paperwork seek advise from others but he did this and has been luckily enough to get away with 2 im sure its not just a coinsidence

L14RLA
I have heard this before.... but only been used if you got pulled there and then... They can only fine you if they have their callibration cert there and then. There are no fixed speed cameras in the area, there never has been ....its an empty 2 lane dual carridgeway. The only indication they were there is when i saw the van parked up..but then i couldnt say they were doing speed checks.

How would i go about asking these questions? whos the best person to speak to?.

·
Registered
728 Posts
3 years on and I'm back to zero points - in the eyes of the law. The blood sucking insurance companies have a different view though. They'd like to rape you for another 2 years.
They stay on your license for 4 years now and you have to declare them (by Law) for 5. (Sorry)

To the chap with the ticket check out www.pepipoo.com if there is a way out it is there.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts