Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got fine for tinted windows

went to pick my girlfriend up the other day after she finished work in nottingham, it was a sunny day so had both front windows down, saw 2 police cars (volves) on the side of the road talking and tho nothing of it.

anyway driving along talking about her day at work, and next minute blue light was flashing in my view mirror! got out the car he ask if the car belong to me...next minute he got this gadget out to test my windows, and said my windows are too dark,even though i have had them on for 5 years now, and that they are light smoke.

and fine me ?30 he said am lucky its a fix penulty and no points will be issus on my licence.

i ask him how come all the famous stars and footballers are allowed tinted window, he reply me with, its because they are different....tho to myself wtf!

i said to him how the hell can they be different to myself,am only a human being same as them..the officer reply if you want to argue about this situation Mr Lam then i suggest we take it to court!!

And then, he said they are having a crack down on tinted windows because of all the shooting in nottingham within the few years involving cars with tints!!

has anyone been in this situation before?!

talking about justification...

will

·
Registered
47 Posts
So do you have to have your windows un-tinted now then? Or did they just fine you ?30 and let you carry on driving around with "illegal" windows?

You might get pulled over again next week and fined another ?30!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I got stopped for this a few years ago by a persistant copper, he passed me going the other way in town in rush hour traffic. Then went about 500m further down the road to turn round then fought his way through rally busy traffic to pull me up.

It was when they had just got the 'Tintmate' testers and I think he was so excited to use it. He told me my fronts were illegal in light smoke and gave me a 7 day wonder and a 14 day ticket to get them removed. No fine though but this was about 6 years ago. I was also told if I got caught with it a seond time then it would go straight to court.

Guess I was lucky cos at the time they were making the town boys rip theirs out at the side of the road in front of the coppers, leaving horrible glue marks over the windows that you couldn't see through!

As you can see I don't learn......light smoke all round again!

·
Registered
186 Posts
What is the legally allowed tint then, i thought it was light smoked in which case i would take it to court.

Coppers these days just take the p**s out of motorist and then wounder why young people don't have any trust or respect for the police.

I recently had a producer for driving through an orange light and being noisy, i handed my documents in on time, but 2 months late i had a court summons for not producing my documents. To cut a long story short i wrote them a letter and they apologised.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Bad luck. The legal limit for front windows is a 30% tint and most cars come out of factory with that applied. So anything on top is illegal.

So far ive been driving with dark tints for 2 years, never had no problems. On my Bora they are 75% tint on the fronts. Police men have looked and stared and was expecting to get pulled but never. If i see a police man following i will wind my windows down etc...

I think they can only test your windows if you are driving with them shut. So if they pull you with your window down and tell you to put it up i dont think they can....please correct me if wrong.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
both  of the front windows were down at the time, he told me to put them up half way!! they can wait for the payment, am going to wait till the 27th day then go and pay it....

·
Registered
344 Posts
How did he manage spot ure windows when they were down? And also you can refuse to wind your windows up, they cannot force you to wind them up.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just to clarify:

You must have 70% light through the front (drivers & passenger) windows and 75% through the Windscreen, You can paint the rear windows of your vehicle Black, it does not matter, and it has been like this since 1985.

However they did make an amendment in 2004, that now states you are not allowed ANY tints forward of the A Pillar (pillar behind driver). This was brought in because nearly all cars are now tinted from the factory almost to the 70% for the side and 75% for the front limit.

Oh and very soon window testing will be part of the MOT so none of us will get away with it.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I got stopped for this a few years ago by a persistant copper, he passed me going the other way in town in rush hour traffic. Then went about 500m further down the road to turn round then fought his way through rally busy traffic to pull me up.

It was when they had just got the 'Tintmate' testers and I think he was so excited to use it. He told me my fronts were illegal in light smoke and gave me a 7 day wonder and a 14 day ticket to get them removed. No fine though but this was about 6 years ago. I was also told if I got caught with it a seond time then it would go straight to court.

Guess I was lucky cos at the time they were making the town boys rip theirs out at the side of the road in front of the coppers, leaving horrible glue marks over the windows that you couldn't see through!

As you can see I don't learn......light smoke all round again!
fair play i dont blame you i got light smoke all around, i havent had and hasstle (yet)

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is a pain in the bum to get pulled and fined but I can see the police's point of view if the 'ganstas' round nottingham are using tinted windows to hide their identity in drive by shootings then it is something the police need to crack down on.

If tinted windows are illegal and you (the generic 'you, not aimed at anyone in particular) don't like being pulled over by the police then don't tint your windows, same goes for boy-racer number plates (and speeding). If you are going to drive round with illegal modifications then don't moan when you get pulled over. IT's the risk ya takes!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It is a pain in the bum to get pulled and fined but I can see the police's point of view if the 'ganstas' round nottingham are using tinted windows to hide their identity in drive by shootings then it is something the police need to crack down on.
Surely you could wear a helmet or pair of tights over your head? Can't pull you for that, surely?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
good idear who needs tinted windows just wear sunglasses all the time the same as speakers & subs just get 4 sets of loud headphones sorted 

·
Registered
120 Posts
Surely you could wear a helmet or pair of tights over your head? Can't pull you for that, surely?
Good point [:)], but if the police know that cars involved in shootings have tinted windows they will be pulling over other cars with tints. I suspect this is just so they can check who's driving (maybe corner known offenders) and to do a search of the car. The tints might just be the excuse to pull-over the car and then do a drug/gun search as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
good idear who needs tinted windows just wear sunglasses all the time the same as speakers & subs just get 4 sets of loud headphones sorted
The headphones would certainly save other people from having to listen to your choice of music! [:D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts