Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just had a phone call from me mar (Sue-sse)

and she has got a light on the dash that has stayed on its the Engine Light

also its says Emissions Workshop

its booked in to the dealers for later today , but just wondered if its anything serious as shes only had the car a couple of months

the car is a 1.6 se auto golf on a 51 plate

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've had this on my 1.6 SE more than I've had hot dinners. More than likely one of the following in order of most likely first: coil packs, MAP sensor, lambda probe, EGR valve.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've had this more than I've had hot dinners. More than likely one of the following in order of most likely first: coil packs, MAP sensor, lambda probe, EGR valve.
lol. Shiuming, I've never come across 'emissions workshop' displayed in my old Mk4! I thought you 'cleverly' made up your avatar[:$]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had this on my 1.6 SE more than I've had hot dinners. More than likely one of the following in order of most likely first: coil packs, MAP sensor, lambda probe, EGR valve.
As she's only had the car 2 months do u think they will do for free?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If she got it from a dealer than I would expect some sort of warranty, in any case due to the massive coil pack issue the warranty on original faulty style coil packs was extended to five years. So for a 51 plate that is easily within warranty. If something else went wrong as a result (lambda probe fouled by unburnt fuel, for example) I'd ask them politely to sort it. Always be prepared in these situations, you tend not to get fobbed off if you look like you've done your research.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for all ya help , it came out of the workshop and was told it was a technical hickup

seems ok for now , fingers crossed

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont belive this its happened again il be phoning them myself and having a polite word with them rather than , she rings them and get fobed off

this better not be a regular thing thats going to happen or they can change the car

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I'd ask for a proper technical explanation rather than accept it was a "hiccup". Then at least you can go in armed with the knowledge should it happen again. I had that light come on so many times, I started to assume it was the coil packs but several times it was one of the other things I mentioned, sometimes going as a result of the coil packs. Is it running a bit rough?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
think il ask them what they mean when they say what ever is wrong ,

seems to be running ok , but i havent driven it myself thou

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dropped the other car off tonight , and while i was there they tried to blame it on using the wrong fuel , lmao

So asked the dealer ,so if that was the case , why was it fine for the first 3 months then and your answer is ?? , they didnt answer

so they got it all day tommorow , wonder what they have to say when i phone them

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nosaj, please let us know how you got on, as my wife's Golf has had the same thing happen this afternoon[:mad:]

The dealer was called but they cannot look at it until Friday[:mad:], but the engine is running a bit rough. The coil packs were only changed in January this year!

AnilS.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will let you know what they say as soon as i get the car back , have you tried disconecting them maf , as same thing ie light and poor running can be a knackered maf , worth a try to see if it runs better when u disconect it

failing that il post as soon as i know ok m8

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Dropped the other car off tonight , and while i was there they tried to blame it on using the wrong fuel , lmao

So asked the dealer ,so if that was the case , why was it fine for the first 3 months then and your answer is ?? , they didnt answer

so they got it all day tommorow , wonder what they have to say when i phone them
I was at VW today, as I was having my MOT done, and I was talking to them about engine fault indicators, as I had an emissions fault come up on the dash (which was not there until they drove the car into the workshop this morning), they explaned that the sensors are very sensative and sometimes trip themselves out due to a poorer mix / older fuel that the petrol garage may have to supply to their customers. All my emission readings were spot on so they just cleared the fault light and asked me to watch out for any other faults and to bring it back if it happens again.

Don't worry about it to much, if there is a problem I think there would be a more noticeable indication, like an egg smell or poorer performance, if it comes up again then go back to find out more, as you don't want this happening all the time.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi ya kev hope ya had a good holiday , how was it [:)]

i just spoke to mar about her car after ready what you put and both times it has happen is after about 15 miles from filling up at the same garage , seems a bit sus now after what you said , , told her to top up with optimax ( get the oxtane up )after she gets car back , after what they say and then change filling stations to a dif one

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
What exactly did they mean by that? You put diesel in? The filler cap clearly states 95-98 RON, you can't get lower than 95 RON.

It will like the Optimax though, mine loves it [:p]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
right got the phone call and it was

a breakdown in the cooling system , they wouldnt pin point what it was but il speak to them asking about the fans for a start

and a split pipe so they say going to collect it a 5 ish so will post what new news i have

1 - 20 of 25 Posts