Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there to all - nice forum here.

I got a deposit down on a mk4 tdi golf. its a bout 6 years old but in very good condition. I only have a little niggle in that when I drove it it dodnt feel what I would call "fast". The rpm took ages to creep up, and when it was begging for anothe gear it still seemed slugish.

Is this to be expected from a tdi or am I just not used to diesels.

or is it a problem I should be worried about?

I used to drive an astra gte and this was scary fast off the mark. please help. I am meant to fax the forms back todsay

·
Registered
319 Posts
not too clued up on standard TDI's but i know if you get it remapped you'l be lovin it [:D]

Welcome to the forum by the way [Y]

im sure someone more in the know will be along shortly to set your mind at ease

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you're testing a 115BHP TDI, power is at its peak from about
1,500RPM to 2,200RPM.. if the car doesn't feel 'punchy' there then i'd
say somethings not right?

I went from a 200BHP Corrado G60 was surprised how torquey the TDI felt compared even to that! :)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Having test driven a few mk4 tdi's they don't feel as fast they are because there is a big kick in the low revs which tails off the higher u go (this drop off of performance isn't very much in a 150[:)]).

Most people I take my car out in don't think its fast until they look at the speedo. Also on this point the in gear times which are very good (especially the 130 - less lag) don't feel exciting as there isn't the noise or the need the change gear wringing the last rev out as u might do in a petrol, all you do is make sure you have more than 2K or revs and put your foot down.

I didn't go for the 130 because it didn't have enough top end (though the turbo spooled up much faster). Lastly the performance on turbo cars varies with the climatic conditions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES - Keep em coming so helpful.

I think its just me -

al collection of the car being

pre pd engine -

90 bhp

diesel

a different car to what Im used to. Everything else was lovely on it so...

can Imake it quicker???

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I don't know much about the VW engines but a good place to start would be a chip (if its turbo) another company to contact is Allard Turbosport. They get silly figures out of the old low power pug engine. Derv Doctor is another one to try, along with some of the sponsers on this site

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Might be worth disconnecting the MAF to see if that makes any difference. If there's no difference, could be your MAF needs cleaning / replacing.

Speedbusters tuning box is a quick cheap way to extra ponies but remember tuning boxes aren't as good as remaps as they usually just throw more fuel in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I dont know what your finances are like mate,but i'd be tempted to hold out for a pd engined golf.

I've had 2 now,first a 130 ,then a 150.

I havent driven a non pd car,but i've heard they are a world away from the later pd engines.

my old 130 gt tdi was surprisingly quicker than my old 206 gti.

you'll regret it later mate!

Cheers J.J.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If the car is 6 years old it will be a 1999 model and if it is not a GT TDi 110 it will be a 90 bhp S or SE model. If it is really slow, then the MAF is probably goosed. Bank on 70 odd quid for a new one and best buy a Mercedes one for longevity. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cheers guys - As you probably guessed from the name I dont kno wmuch about the water cooled veriety of vw - more an air cooled nut but the site is really nice and thanks so much for al the help.

I am going to get this car on friday. stupid question

MAF

?? Sorry someone explain to the old air head? the car comes with a 3 mnth warranty so if therre IS a problem with it and I can get this proved by VW I am on a good track to get the stuff replaced anyway..

cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheers mate.

I am going to test drive another 1999 but a 110 version. Will compare the levels and make a desision based on this. If I think there is a problem with the one I have a depsot on then I could probably get them to have a look at replacing the maf.

I dont really want the one I am seeing tonight as its got 25k more miles on it but at least I can compare it..

will let you all know as I am SURE your all awaiting the outcome..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
will remapping really help the 90bhp that much? I dont really/cant afford to wait out for a dp motor. but a remap is something I could afford probably..

worth it? What sort of performace could I expect?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
of course - and we don't want you buying a pile of plop.

Nice website - I used to have a 1200cc ( with a 1641 in ) 1971 cal - on centerlines (125s front, 185s rear) about 15 years back now. No pics thou..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts