Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're just looking for a little feedback on how Google Adsense is working on uk-mkivs? Do you find it gets in the way etc.?

Also - We're noticing quite a lot that the same, single slot ads, are being served all the time? For example the ad panel at the bottom of the screen keeps displaying ads for tyres when clearly there are other trigger words in the body of the page. If this is the case then Adsense may not be working the way it should and we need to take corrective action.

Your input on this would be appreicated. You're the ones using the site the most and your views are important [:)]

Thanks

The uk-mkivs team.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Can't say I notice the stuff at the bottom much - but I'm fairly sure
the stuff at the top of the page is fairly samey as well. I'm
just crap and can't give any specific examples.

As for it being intrusive - not really, it's quite subtle really and I
don't notice it that much (once I got used to it, I must confess I
ignore it most of the time [;)])

C

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies [Y] I'm glad others are seeing the tyres ad all the time - proves I'm not going round the bend!

So from what you're saying you don't actually notice the ads at all?

Would you notice them more if a four panel unit was at the top in addition to the bottom?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
In all honesty, I think we have all forgot to 'interact' with them. Trouble is, you see them all over the place so you kind of get used to them and a lot of it is pap anyway.

I do see tyres a lot yes. But the keywords seem to work better. I.e. the ink cartridge thread I did the other day I clicked a couple to see what prices the company was offering.

Stick to the keywords at the bottom. Its normally where we are on the page, i.e. reading the last thread, so the top doesnt get used so much, especially as were now used to seeing the top pictures. It's a case of knowing when the users are on the site, and the majority of the time, its at the bottom of the page I should think.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair comment Graham. I think the trouble with the upper link panel is can sometimes be overlooked due to it intergrating 'a little too well' with the colour scheme. The single line size doesn't add to its visibility either. On the other hand it was implemented as such so it wouldn't steal focus from our main paying advertisers - which ulitmately keep the site running.

The lower panel was designed so it would stand out more but I wonder if its too low, although like you say the ads benig served are not really relevent most of the time.

I think we may as well trial a four panel link at the top and see what the response is like?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
All I can tell you from a web designer perspective and also from a user perspective is that I spent most of my time at the bottom of the page. Not the top. I see the top, but normally when I'm scrolling down and thats it, I don't take much notice of what's up there. How true this is of all users I wouldnt know.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs here, but with advertising you have to know your target. Hence ad's being in the prominent places, and stats being so vital to advertisers, so in this case, the bottom of the page seems the right place as thats the way the defaults are set up, last post appears at the bottom of the page.

There are other ways of making money for the site though if the adsense isnt working as planned.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I don't find it in the slightest bit intrusive; i've never used them thou!
I don't mind it.. it's actually quite funny to follow the random links at times. I don't think it gets in the way at all. If it pays for this place, hell send me an ad every day in the email if need be. rather that than this place struggle for funds ! I started off by clicking on a few per day but soon forgot.. will stick a pop up in my outlook at work to click five links per day ! [:)]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Will you tell us what kind of revenue its geenrating Tabs? [;)] With the number of hits on here.....

I like the adverts to remain as invisible / integrated as possible - as
said above you see them everywhere and grow used to ignoring
them. I know what you mean about repetitive links though,
on www.borabase.com I have this stupid ?35 supercharger coming up all
the time, god knows why!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry Mike can't divulge that kind of information!

You can filter out ads using the competitive filter - I've removed the supercharger one as it was showing up all the time. I may add the tyre company to that list as its not doing much good.

Thanks for the feedback everyone [Y] It's good this kind of feedback as it helps to structure the way we implement services like Google etc.

Any other comments on the impact it has?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update.

As you can see we've changed the link panel at the top of the forum to a four link full ad. Hopefully this doesn't distract too much?

If you could let us know as its important we don't litter the site with too many ads [Y]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I've seen the change and it moulds in quite nicely really... It's not
intrusive still, but they're there if you look up and think "oh yeah
lets have a look" I guess [:)]

Not sure if that's the answer you wanted but you know [;)]

C

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Works well, i was viewing the porter cable thread and all the ads at the top were relevant ie one was to purchase a pc the others were polishing supplies so [Y]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts