GoodYear F1's still the daddy?

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  njonesn 
#1 ·
Hi,

Need some new Tyres.

Are the GoodYear F1's still recommended?

And where to buy them in the Cambridge/Stevenage/Delivery area?

Thanks

Nathan

#7 ·
Quote: posted by njonesn on 24/03/2005 16:25:13

Hi,

Need some new Tyres.

Are the GoodYear F1's still recommended?

And where to buy them in the Cambridge/Stevenage/Delivery area?

Thanks

Nathan

Ohhhh yes.

Posted Image

I absolutely love mine...transformed the car. But Jace is probably right!

www.blackcircles.co.uk is also good

#10 ·
I'm about to order mine for my CHs.

Guys try out www.eiretyres.com it's an Irish site but click on the Union Jack on the page, for me anyway their F1s are a full E100 cheaper than tyre dealers.

EDIT: When you click on that link for UK it goes to my tyres [:I]

#12 ·
njonesn.........let me say this.......

I have been using them for 2 years..........I do 25k/year.

My fronts last around 12 months and the rears.....probably 40k, depending on how you rotate them.

I don't give my tyres excessive worry in corners these days - it's futile......but when i do want to turn sharply or with my foot to the boards these tyres work wonders.....they are very predicatable in the wet too.

#15 ·
I will be looking for new tyres soon; currently got Bridgestone Turanzas and not impresse. They seem to throw up alot of road noise(heard on other cars as well); I assume they're a hard rubber compound? How do the Goodyear F1s compare? My last 1.8T(AGU) had Michelin Pilots and gave much better traction when pulling away; current car(AUM) far easier to spin wheels..is this the car or the tyres?

#17 ·
Dont rate them that much not great in the wet, I have found the bridgestone potenza re40's to be much better, I used many brands on my Accord Type R, but only used Mickey Finn pilot sports on my 4Motion, TBH I cant wait to get some bridgestones on it as the feel and turn is so much better with them

#19 ·
In response to simch I also only managed 13.5k from 2 pairs of toyo t1s proxes on the front as well - the sidewall is too soft compared to the F1 Gs-D3s/Potenza S03s.

I'm not going to fare much better in terms of mileage from the F1s despite having the highest UTQG rating of most performance tyres I've seen/used however performance wise they seem on a par with Potenza S03s.

Although subjective I'm amazed by the differences in tyre wear/mileage on this thread.

I bought my 1.8t brand new, it's covered 34k in 5 years, It's never been banged and tracks perfectly straight with uniform tyre wear and yes the tyre pressures are checked every week.

It's used as a daily driver to/from work so I have limited opportunities to explore its 220bhp + output. Despite this and the new FK suspension I have to replace tyres every 12 months without fail.

#20 ·
In the last 3 months I have suffered with bulged sidewalls. I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the first bulge but noticed the second one this evening when cleaning the car. Its apparently a problem with them. Has been much documented on vwvortex where US R32 owners have had the same problem on brand new cars.

I have a spare tyre that I am going to put on and may explore an alternative tyre for future replacements. They stick like poo poo3 to a shovel so cant fault them in that respect.

#25 ·
Nope.

S03's are a better all round performer, especially in the wet, plus the stiff sidewalls are made from a much harder compund, resulting in very little wear. That makes them great for trackdays, or just being a hooligan on roundabouts.

I'm now on my 4th set of S03's and each one has proved to be fantastic. I get between 12 and 15k from the fronts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.