Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Need some new Tyres.

Are the GoodYear F1's still recommended?

And where to buy them in the Cambridge/Stevenage/Delivery area?

Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Alot of folks like them (me included) but some don't.

Pirelli Pzero Nero are supposedly pukka rubber too.

Try www.mytyres.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers foxy, will have a look. Think you mean www.mytires.co.uk as .com takes me to an australian site!!!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by njonesn on 24/03/2005 16:25:13

Hi,

Need some new Tyres.

Are the GoodYear F1's still recommended?

And where to buy them in the Cambridge/Stevenage/Delivery area?

Thanks

Nathan

Ohhhh yes.

Posted Image

I absolutely love mine...transformed the car. But Jace is probably right!

www.blackcircles.co.uk is also good

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 24/03/2005 17:04:52

Very good if you like buying tyres often.

My front ones lasted 13k !!!!!!!!!

I've had two sets of 17" F1s and both have lasted ~ 25k.

My car has no traction control. I swap my wheels front to rear quite often.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'm about to order mine for my CHs.

Guys try out www.eiretyres.com it's an Irish site but click on the Union Jack on the page, for me anyway their F1s are a full E100 cheaper than tyre dealers.

EDIT: When you click on that link for UK it goes to my tyres [:I]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all.

Just how soft are they? I do 70miles a day so if they really do only last ~13K then that may be a little low.

Can anyone suggest maybe a slightly harder tyre? I will take it all into consideration.

Cheers

N

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
njonesn.........let me say this.......

I have been using them for 2 years..........I do 25k/year.

My fronts last around 12 months and the rears.....probably 40k, depending on how you rotate them.

I don't give my tyres excessive worry in corners these days - it's futile......but when i do want to turn sharply or with my foot to the boards these tyres work wonders.....they are very predicatable in the wet too.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I will be looking for new tyres soon; currently got Bridgestone Turanzas and not impresse. They seem to throw up alot of road noise(heard on other cars as well); I assume they're a hard rubber compound? How do the Goodyear F1s compare? My last 1.8T(AGU) had Michelin Pilots and gave much better traction when pulling away; current car(AUM) far easier to spin wheels..is this the car or the tyres?

·
Banned
774 Posts
Can only comment that my last car (Impreza [email protected]) used to destroy F1's in about 6K miles if taken on track. On the road I'd get 10K out of them.

They are a soft compound compared to Pilot Sports but they DO work in the wet. Very well indeed.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Dont rate them that much not great in the wet, I have found the bridgestone potenza re40's to be much better, I used many brands on my Accord Type R, but only used Mickey Finn pilot sports on my 4Motion, TBH I cant wait to get some bridgestones on it as the feel and turn is so much better with them

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Cripes, i have had two sets of toyo proxes on the front of mine in 14000 miles!!!

I may be trying these f1s next time!

·
Registered
116 Posts
In response to simch I also only managed 13.5k from 2 pairs of toyo t1s proxes on the front as well - the sidewall is too soft compared to the F1 Gs-D3s/Potenza S03s.

I'm not going to fare much better in terms of mileage from the F1s despite having the highest UTQG rating of most performance tyres I've seen/used however performance wise they seem on a par with Potenza S03s.

Although subjective I'm amazed by the differences in tyre wear/mileage on this thread.

I bought my 1.8t brand new, it's covered 34k in 5 years, It's never been banged and tracks perfectly straight with uniform tyre wear and yes the tyre pressures are checked every week.

It's used as a daily driver to/from work so I have limited opportunities to explore its 220bhp + output. Despite this and the new FK suspension I have to replace tyres every 12 months without fail.

·
Registered
284 Posts
In the last 3 months I have suffered with bulged sidewalls. I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the first bulge but noticed the second one this evening when cleaning the car. Its apparently a problem with them. Has been much documented on vwvortex where US R32 owners have had the same problem on brand new cars.

I have a spare tyre that I am going to put on and may explore an alternative tyre for future replacements. They stick like poo poo3 to a shovel so cant fault them in that respect.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts