Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due to replace my tyres soon (Michelin pilot primacy) which have been on the car since new.

I've read so many good things about Eagle F1s but are there any disadvantages? Tyre life? Road noise? etc.

Thanks

ACP

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Only problems I have ever seen on F1s is lots of lateral block movement on heavier cars (>1500Kg), this was round Donnington though.

I have never had any problems on the Golf, great grip in the wet and the dry. I'm on my 3rd set [:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Only problems I have ever seen on F1s is lots of lateral block movement on heavier cars (>1500Kg), this was round Donnington though.
Tool question time - what does that mean in english? [:|]

C

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tool question time - what does that mean in english? [:|]

C
Ditto! My car's >1500kg and I will be returning to the Ring later this year....[*-)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Average life span is about 13k on my last 2 sets of front ones, current set have done 11k & seem to be looking like they may go a little further this time.

BTW, they are now produced in China [:O], I had to get a new one for the rear the other week & thats the origin, ones from october are Germa made. Still no cheaper though [:mad:] @ ?90

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Well, a friend of mine took his 325i for a trip around Donnington and the tread blocks were very rounded off on the corners.

Basically when the car is wanting to under/over steer the tires are under lateral strain and the tread blocks on the tyre are at angles to the tyre. GDS2s were worse for this but it still happends on 3's.

I did some reading and the only other person I found who this has happened to was Badger Bill, I saw a post of his on seatcupra.net from 2003.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I got 20k out my current (front) Michelin Pilot Sport 2's but are almost touching the wear indicators now.

You'll probably get about 5k less with F1's, depending on how you drive!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I've just put F1's on my Cupra after having Pilot Sport 2's on for the last year. Impressions of the PS2's were that grip disappeared massively once the tyres were half worn or more. Great tyres, long lasting, just seem to fade the more they wear.

With the F1's only a few days old the grip is stonking (yes, even in 1st!!), the front of the car feels so much more planted and direct, and not only that they are considerably quieter than the Michy's too. I ended up with a pair of 225/45/17's off mytyres.co.uk for ?190 fitted, bargain if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
since i put eagle's on the frint,i have had the back end step out twice,in the wet on roundabouts due to the amount of grip.

thats with plenty of tread left on the rears, and to think i had the same on the front,and thought they were ok.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
True they will wear slightly faster but right to the end they will never let you down in the wet! Recently was driving with a mate in the car on a wet night,we rounded a bend doing a fair speed only to be greeted with a big! pool of water on the bend,my mate who has had a bad crash due to aqua-planing in the fast nearly had a panic attack,i just eased of the throttle and let the tyres guide me through the water,needles to say he'll be ordering F1s in the near future.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I'm due to replace my tyres soon (Michelin pilot primacy) which have been on the car since new.

I've read so many good things about Eagle F1s but are there any disadvantages? Tyre life? Road noise? etc.

Thanks

ACP
Good Points:

Low Tyre noise

Good ride quality

Excellent Wet weather grip/traction - simply awesome

Good (not great) dry weather grip

Bad points

Tread/wear rate increases tremendously (sp?) if the road surface is
hot. If u really give it some hard cornering the edges just scrub
off into marbles (like Formula 1 car tyres!)

Dry weather grip could still be better, but that's just nitpicking compared to how great they are in the wet

Wear rate - I've now done 20,000 miles on a set of 4 on my R32, which
compares well to the super hard Michillen Pilot sports, which lasted
21,000 miles. I don't think that's bad at all considering..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies - will definitely be getting F1s.

I've just put F1's on my Cupra after having Pilot Sport 2's on for the last year. Impressions of the PS2's were that grip disappeared massively once the tyres were half worn or more. Great tyres, long lasting, just seem to fade the more they wear.
I find my Michelins exactly the same, they've been v.good up until recently when they seem to have lost a lot of grip (even though all 4 have about 3/4mm tread remaining.).

With the F1's only a few days old the grip is stonking (yes, even in 1st!!), the front of the car feels so much more planted and direct, and not only that they are considerably quieter than the Michy's too. I ended up with a pair of 225/45/17's off mytyres.co.uk for ?190 fitted, bargain if you ask me.
?190 sounds sounds good to me. Where did you get them fitted?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i just got some eagle F1s - cant wait to get them on the car. have to wait for rochford to sort themselves out first and replace the damaged wheels they sent (its been 6days already)

its a shame rochford have such bad service (2nd time i used them - 1st time was a nightmare too) because their prices are so good

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Well, a friend of mine took his 325i for a trip around Donnington and the tread blocks were very rounded off on the corners.

Basically when the car is wanting to under/over steer the tires are under lateral strain and the tread blocks on the tyre are at angles to the tyre. GDS2s were worse for this but it still happends on 3's.

I did some reading and the only other person I found who this has happened to was Badger Bill, I saw a post of his on seatcupra.net from 2003.
More than likely underinflated! On a nice smooth cicuit like donny, pop an extra 5 psi + in, stops a lot of the feathering on the block, (wearing off of the nameon the side on my old focus!!) and provided you only do 6 or so lasps at time, the temps stay ok.

I have noticed they are noisier than the toyos I used to run, but overall, better wear similar dry grip, better wet grip, I shall stick witht hem if I can get a good price on em again!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I had a complete set of F1s fitted yesterday and sure enough they've transformed the car. I had some budget make ( fitted by the VW dealer before I bought the car) and they were appalling; hardly any grip. I've yet to test the F1s in the wet but under hard acceleration from a standstill and powering out of tight bends they seem better than any I've had on previous MKIVs(incl. Bridgestone Turanzas, Continental Sport2s, Michelin Pilots etc).

I don't mind reduced wear if the grip is improved; I once paid alot of money for some Michelins(best for wear at the time) and within 3 months got 2 punctures which couldn't be repaired hence I might as well of bought a cheaper tyre to begin with.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Average life span is about 13k on my last 2 sets of front ones, current set have done 11k & seem to be looking like they may go a little further this time.

BTW, they are now produced in China [:O], I had to get a new one for the rear the other week & thats the origin, ones from october are Germa made. Still no cheaper though [:mad:] @ ?90
WTF !

Almost a year later & it happens again

This is what a 5,000 mile F1 looks like when you mix it with a locker key [:mad:] At least it wasnt 1 of the 2 I had fitted tuesday

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 27 Posts