Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get two new front tyres,

hopefully, two Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's for ?250 fitted........good price?

but the real question is, do they wear well? (normal driving situation)

p.s i know it aint the right section, but need a speedy response!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends on size - if your running 17s then id say that was at least ?60 over the odds. 18s probably about right.

They good tyres with average wear (about 15k depending on car/driving style)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I've had my 16's on since june 04 and they are almost down to the wear indicators now, Graeme. Done probably 15000 miles since then. They do wear pretty quick (especially in the summer, hot etc), but that's the price you pay for excellent dry and wet grip.

"Crap in the snow and ice" is obvious.. they ain't a winter tyre are they [^o)]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I've had my 16's on since june 04 and they are almost down to the wear indicators now, Graeme. Done probably 15000 miles since then. They do wear pretty quick (especially in the summer, hot etc), but that's the price you pay for excellent dry and wet grip.

You are right - They are not.

I changed to the GSD3's prior to the snow and ice and have to say that the Continental Sport Contacts were a lot better than the GSD3's in the snow. The GSD3's allowed almost zero progress where the Conti's were reasonable.

My point was if you get GSD3's, bank on getting a set of winter tyres as well for when the snow comes.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

cheers for that dan.

i was heading for dunlop sp9000, but the goodyears are the same price, so thought i'd go for the tyre thats generally regarded as "the best"

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

You are right - They are not.

I changed to the GSD3's prior to the snow and ice and have to say that the Continental Sport Contacts were a lot better than the GSD3's in the snow. The GSD3's allowed almost zero progress where the Conti's were reasonable.

My point was if you get GSD3's, bank on getting a set of winter tyres as well for when the snow comes.
Maybe, but we ain't in the frozen north like you horace ! [:p] I've never needed winter tyres in two years since having them fitted. Up there though, i'm sure you'll need them.

·
Registered
874 Posts
i was heading for dunlop sp9000, but the goodyears are the same price, so thought i'd go for the tyre thats generally regarded as "the best"
I've got a pair of each on mine. I recently changed the Dunlops from the front to the back and I was shocked at just how poor they are in the wet. Similar performance in the dry, but shockingly bad in the wet. Not sure on wear performance yet though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
your fronts will prob need changing after 10k miles or so id say. had my fronts for about 5k now and im prob over half way down or so!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Possibly the best mod I made to my R32 was switching from Michelin Pilot Sports to Goodyear Eagle F1s. They've done 22,000 miles now including about an hour round Castle Combe.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possibly the best mod I made to my R32 was switching from Michelin Pilot Sports to Goodyear Eagle F1s. They've done 22,000 miles now including about an hour round Castle Combe.
best mod as in grip or?

how are they after 22,000?

·
Registered
837 Posts
They make the car feel a lot more planted than the Michelins did. They're also a lot better in the wet. As for the mileage, that's about the same - I do a lot of motorway, hence the low wear.

As for their current state.....they're legal and probably have about another month left in them. The trackday annihilated the edges of the tyres. I'm not sure if this would happen on fresh tyres or whether it just happened because they were on their way out anyway. The insides of the rears are a bit of a mess too as R32s run a lot of camber at the back and I had a broken anti-roll bar.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
bare in mind i was talking about my front tyres when get allot of spinng abuse! where as the R32 gets next to none. for any one who thinks my quote was incorrect

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Graham to some the Goodyear F'1s up

they are a fantastic tyre price is about right for that type of tyre rating

Great for when pottering around town like an old lady

Great for driving like a nutter around the country lanes

Great for driving down the motorway

Great for driving in the wet and dry at speed

Great for chucking ya car around any race track

and they wear at about the correct ratio most places that say they last 15000 miles say that so when ya get 20,000 to 25,000 out of them ya pleased with them

infact i wouldn't buy any other brand of tyre ................................[:)]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Graham to some the Goodyear F'1s up

they are a fantastic tyre price is about right for that type of tyre rating

Great for when pottering around town like an old lady

Great for driving like a nutter around the country lanes

Great for driving down the motorway

Great for driving in the wet and dry at speed

Great for chucking ya car around any race track

and they wear at about the correct ratio most places that say they last 15000 miles say that so when ya get 20,000 to 25,000 out of them ya pleased with them

infact i wouldn't buy any other brand of tyre ................................[:)]
and on that basis i've just returned from the tyre place with two Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front.....cheers jason [Y]

1 - 20 of 60 Posts